translation problems

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MaTriX
Peasant Status

translation problems

#1 Post by MaTriX » Sat Oct 27, 2001 6:11 pm

Hi, i noticed some people started to make translations for kq1vga in languages like russian language , as far as i know the russan language does not consist of latin letters , and the game engine AGS only supports latin charcters .<br><br>the same thing will happen to other lanuages , what is tierra team thinking of this problem ? <p></p><i></i>

Neocron
Peasant Status

Re: translation problems

#2 Post by Neocron » Sat Oct 27, 2001 8:41 pm

As it stands, the translations for KQ1VGA are being done by volunteers. I'm not sure on the logistics of it, but I imagine AGS could be modified to support non-latin character languages.<br><br>The way I understand it (and don't take this as gospel, as it may very well change), it looks like we (Tierra) will be taking these fan-made translations and making "language paks" that can be put into the KQ1VGA directory and AGS will load that up instead of the default English language. <br><br>This same problem occurs when localizing a game into an asian language (such as Chinese, Korean, or Japanese) and it's done, so don't be alarmed. =)<br><br>Neocron<br>Online Community Director<br>Tierra Entertainment <p></p><i></i>

MaTriX
Peasant Status

re:

#3 Post by MaTriX » Sun Oct 28, 2001 8:50 am

are you sure that you can modify AGS yo handle non=latin letters ?<br><br>i have been asking this question for a year in AGS forum and the answer came by Chris himself : NO , it cannot be modifyed .<br><br>so if you found a work around for this . please tell me how . <p></p><i></i>

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: re:

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sun Oct 28, 2001 3:05 pm

No, not at the moment. Right now, you can only create your own font and import it into AGS, but this is tricky, because there's only a certain amount of letter blocks that can be used.. meaning that some symbols, such as !, @, * ...etc, would need to be replaced with the new letters.<br><br>What has been suggested, is that AGS will eventually support TTF (true type fonts). And with this feature implemented, we'd be saved the hassle of having to make new a new font set for each different language. This way, we could also send the entire game scripts to other people, and they could translate the actual game, and then send the scripts back to us for re-insertion into the game. This would also prevent us from making mistakes in languages that we aren't fluent in. <p></p><i></i>

Neocron
Peasant Status

Re: re:

#5 Post by Neocron » Mon Oct 29, 2001 2:17 am

well - if you heard it from the AGS programmer, then that's the gospel. It's all a matter of programming (and a programmer I most definitely am not). =)<br><br>Neocron<br>Online Community Director<br>Tierra Entertainment <p></p><i></i>