Royal Quest... what the *beep* happened????

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Das KANDYMAN
Peasant Status

Royal Quest... what the *beep* happened????

#1 Post by Das KANDYMAN » Thu Feb 14, 2002 11:48 pm

Ok I haven´t paying much attention to this site after the release of Kings Quest 1 VGA remake.. it was excellent first class... But I´ve been waiting for Royal Quest to be released too.

And Now that I´ve come back finally to have a look around, and I hear that it was cancelled... when?? Why?? How could you do this to me??...

It all may be explained on some page on the site but I´ve searched and lookd through the forums and some up with buckleys... so could someone please explain this to me or direct me to where I can find an answer...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Royal Quest... what the *beep* happened????

#2 Post by Erpy » Fri Feb 15, 2002 5:44 am

Sure, these three links lead to threads dedicated to that situation. The top link was the "official" announcement.

I too was shocked when I first heard it, but AGD1 and AGD2 thought it was becoming too offensive to be fun and there are 3 other projects running right now to compensate for the fact that RQ was cancelled. Also, maybe Tierra might pick up the project again in the distant future. However, the entire story would need to be rewritten.

http://pub57.ezboard.com/froyalquestfor ... =224.topic
http://pub57.ezboard.com/froyalquestfor ... =257.topic
http://pub57.ezboard.com/froyalquestfor ... =239.topic

coasternd
Peasant Status

#3 Post by coasternd » Sat Feb 16, 2002 11:45 am

I don't mind that they canceled it I just wanted to know whats up with the screen shot of Sir Graham nude infont of the witchs brew pot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------REMAKE THE LAURA BOW COLLECTION PLEASE!

Cadbury Wookie
Royal Scribe

#4 Post by Cadbury Wookie » Sun Feb 17, 2002 2:48 pm

Do not feel in any way preturbed or upset by Royal Quest's cancellation. I've read it. It could potentially offend so many people, it would do more harm than good. Tierra was wise not to release it.

I thought to have a go at re-writing RQ, using my developing screenplay format, but it would take a fair amount of work. Essentially, RQ should be about taking the 'mickey' out of KQ and its genre, not defaming entire sub-cultures of the global community.

Besides, as Erpy has said, there are three projects in the works. I can't wait for the first to be released (for obvious, shamelessly self-indulgent reasons). Though I am admittedly a little anxious as to how it will be received. :)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Sun Feb 17, 2002 5:22 pm

I could say "The harder you work, the sooner you'll find out.", but I know you've already completed the main part of YOUR work. So I'll just keep my mouth shut and my fingers crossed.
Besides, QG4 is the ideal example of what rush releases can do to a game.

Edited by: Erpy at: 2/17/02 11:23:25 am

Layabout
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Layabout » Sun Feb 17, 2002 9:49 pm

I would have played it. You should have finished it and had an extreme warning. Like rated...

So what. One person in particular is dedicated to shocking our jocks off, and his name is mostly... Captain Mostly.

The Quest for my Raincoat Starring DickBoy available now!!!http://www.tbns.net/Layabout/raincoat.zip/I think Chris Jones should be proud of how we put his laboriously conceived engine to good use. -- goldmund about "the quest for my Raincoat"

tsubomi
Peasant Status

#7 Post by tsubomi » Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:27 am

negative impact on the company~? :p ha...

you'd be suprised how many dirty things disney, and disney employee's have done.

you could simply put up a mockup company, ie: ... "NudeyPrince Productions" or something. ^_^;

PARODIES ARE MEANT TO OFFEND AND MAKE PEOPLE LAUGH~ :p

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:18 am

Actually, the only purpose of parodies are to ridicule and make fun of the book/game/movie they are trying to "imitate".

I've seen a lot of parodies, but most of them don't contain offensive stuff. There's a line between ridiculing something and simply desacrating it by putting a lot of offensive stuff in it. A parodie can be funny without offensive content and personally I'm happy that Tierra decided not to cross the line.

Edited by: Erpy at: 2/22/02 8:19:13 pm

Milan Easton
Ruler of the Castle

#9 Post by Milan Easton » Sat Feb 23, 2002 11:01 am

We actually had thought of all those things in the past. We thought of releasing it under a company title like, "nefarous nymphs and frollicking faeries studios"...we had an extreme warning at the beginning of the game. We even were thinking of adding some sort of question set before the game started, with questions you'd have to answer for about five minutes straight...agreeing that you were CHOOSING to play the game even though you might become extremely offended.

I know that there are a lot of perverted things in Disney films, but not to the level that this game was getting at. I've seen little snippets of vulgar things in those other films, but not a whole film based on such things.

I personally found RoyalQuest really funny at first, because it reminded me a lot of south park. But over time, I began to see how people could possibly see it as very offensive...especially when it was a parody of such a good hearted family game. Also, it seemed to be funnier while it was still in it's plot phase. But the more detailed it got, and the more visual it got, the less funny it became, in my opinion. It just wasn't something that we really wanted to be part of, as it didn't represent our goal of honoring the adventure games of yesteryear. I still wholeheartedly agree that it was the best decision, and I'm much more excited about our next three projects anyhow... I think you guys will be more please with these current projects as well.

As for the naked Graham at the witch's house...I'll just ask, what kind of single, old, lonely woman would have a prison cell in her home? Many a joke were played on this....

Anonymous Game Developer #1

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#10 Post by Erpy » Tue Feb 26, 2002 4:34 am

Now we're talking about parodies anyway, I recently saw a great QFG-parody on the net. (it's not a game, it's a (not completed) fan-fic)

The author (I forgot her name) did a wonderful job at creating a QG4-parody. She took many litteral quotes from the game and bent them into an insane story that will make people who played through QG4 a couple of times continuously lose their lunch. (not because of disgust but because of the wacky Monty Python-esque humor)

It basically does what a good parody should do: ridicule the game it imitates and ridicule nothing more. For me this is the proof that a hilarious parody can be created without a single offensive line or picture in it.

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Ar ... ction3.htm

Edited by: Erpy at: 2/25/02 10:36:15 pm