Future remake? (archived)

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Future remake?

#201 Post by Erpy » Fri Nov 29, 2002 11:51 am

The only problem is that BC is based on the Disney-movie and Disney is VERY Scrooge when it comes to copyright-issues. (I don't remember Sierra applying their influence to change US-copyright laws)

While interesting, a BC-remake might put us in a risky situation.

Relight
Archival Expert

Re: IMHO...

#202 Post by Relight » Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:09 pm

True, although in an earlier post AGD2 had some points that (I guess at the time) he seemed to think it wasn't a problem.

gerauchetes
Peasant Status

TBC

#203 Post by gerauchetes » Sat Nov 30, 2002 1:17 am

A Black Cauldron remake would be a chore. For starters, the game is crap, particularly as far as "character interaction" goes. Running into one of several NPCs that play big roles (in the movie) goes something like this:

"Good to meet you, Taran Assissant Pig-Keeper. This place sucks, I'm gonna split. Good luck in your quest, Taran Assissant Pig-Keeper."

The game only loosely follows the movie's plot, which brings up that big issue:
The only problem is that BC is based on the Disney-movie and Disney is VERY Scrooge when it comes to copyright-issues.
As roughly as the game follows the movie, the movie takes even more liberties rewriting the original book. The Black Cauldron wasn't Disney's creation. The "Prydain Chronicles" is a five-novel series (The Black Cauldron is entry #2) by Lloyd Alexander. I don't know what kind of arrangement he had with Disney (must have been something screwy, as Disney refused to release the movie on VHS for a decade and a half). But anyways, the point is that remaking The Black Cauldron could mean you're messing with not one or two copyrights but three.

But assuming Alexander doesn't mind (or ever find out), there's a lot more to his world than the compressed and distorted version in the Disney flick. It's been 15 years since I read the novels, and remember being pissed at the game's interpretation even as a 10 year-old kid. Any game remake would be better off being overhauled and tossing the Disney parts out altogether. IMO.

adeyke

Aye.

#204 Post by adeyke » Sat Nov 30, 2002 4:04 am

The Prydain Chronicles are definitely among my favourite books. I really don't like what was done with the story for TBC.

Deledrius
Peasant Status

Re: TBC

#205 Post by Deledrius » Sat Nov 30, 2002 5:35 pm

To each his own, I suppose. I've been a huge fan of the Alexander's novels for a long time, and would love to see a remake of Black Cauldron. However, as that seems to be an unlikely choice, I suppose my vote would go to either LB1 or KQ3. I think they could both benefit greatly from a remake.

Interesting facts: Gwydion, main character in KQ3 was also the name of an important character in the Black Cauldron novel (as well as the other books in the series). AFAIK, the name was originally that of a druid god from from welsh mythology. The name Manannan has similar roots.
--------------------
Art: http://www.the-labyrinth.f2s.com
Science: http://www.zero-factorial.com

Druss
Peasant Status

#206 Post by Druss » Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:06 pm

Any of them would be fine except KQ3. I'd like to see some other games remade before yet another KQ remake (Namely PQ2 and LSL2).

gabbahey1
Peasant Status

Re: Future Remake

#207 Post by gabbahey1 » Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:47 am

Not that I'm greedy or anything, but does anybody [who would know the answer to this question] have a guess when the next title to be released by you guys will be... released?

please let it be king's quest III, please let it be king's quest III, please let it be...

Wolfgang Abenteuer

Re: ...

#208 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:56 am

You mean AFTER QFG2VGA, I assume?

KQ2+VGA spoiler below!

If you check inside the rock on top of the mountain just outside the enchanter's house, they said QFG2VGA was coming from Tierra in late 2003. Granted it was just a joke so don't go holding them to that estimate, but I wouldn't expect a new title before then. Games like this take time, you know! Let the poor overworked Tierra team take a little R&R and bask in the light that is KQ2+VGA before worring about other remakes, ya?! Besides, I'm fairly certain the AGDs won't be giving any kind of release date for the games after all of the "I WANT KQ2!!!" threads posted before its release asking why the game wasn't finished yet. Just to remain on the conservative side, of course. ;)

~Wolfgang

gabbahey1
Peasant Status

#209 Post by gabbahey1 » Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:00 am

yeah that was rather dumb of me, sorry. I couldn't help it :)

I knew QVG2VGA was on it's way, I just though with this thread that they started with the poll and everything that some news was coming...

Sorry to get so excited there, I'll contain myself from now on :)

Wolfgang Abenteuer

#210 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:08 am

Well, I honestly can't blame you for getting excited about Tierra's games...especially after playing KQ2VGA! It was either Erpy or AGD2 that put it best, that we could look in the newsletters and designer journals that the AGDs will post and guess at a release date for the next game.

~Wolfgang

pakolmo
Peasant Status

I want a remake of Larry 2

#211 Post by pakolmo » Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:37 am

I did the translation of spanish of the remake of King's Quest 1 (with Leandro and Rodrigo) and the original Leisure Suit Larry 2, and I want do the Larry 2 remake, too.

Larry!!! larry!!! I want more Larry in VGA!!!!

BOPVille
Peasant Status

#212 Post by BOPVille » Sun Dec 08, 2002 5:54 am

Wow... I think I have to change my vote. After finishing KQ2+ I have to say that KQ3 is the logical choice for the next game. Any of the others would be welcomed, of course, but I (and I'm assuming piles of other people) am incredibly curious about the whole "Father" plotline. If Tierra tackles another non-KQ game after QFG2, it may be three years or more before we learn more about that. Anyway, that's my vote, although I have faith in you guys to do an incredible job on whatever you end up doing.

Orion
Royal Servant Status

#213 Post by Orion » Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:42 am

True. Tierra has a good thing going with the King's Quest remakes. And considering I've nver really gotten very far in the origianal, since I got it from a friend who lost the manual, I couldn't do a darned thing.

The thing is - why ruin something good. Tierra's known for King's Quest now - why ruin it?

---

Although, I would like to see a bug free remake of QfGIV...
- King Orion

" W o.O p ? "

The LucasFan
Royal Servant Status

#214 Post by The LucasFan » Sun Dec 08, 2002 7:27 pm

Maybe I'm the only one here, but I would prefer to see a sequel instead of a remake. Something like a Laura Bow 3 or a real Police Quest 4 with Sonny Bonds. Yeah, a Police Quest-game in a PQ3-style with the driving system of Police Quest 1 AGI and an interesting, GK-like plot. *LucasFan starts dreaming*

Tierra shouldn't only remake games.

Zeus
Knight Status

kq3

#215 Post by Zeus » Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:19 am

i am with you . .a KQ3 remake would be most interesting in this phase (i.e after qg2vga)
And it would be a cool game if AGCs use the technique of kq2vga for spells, and an *maybe* enhanced plot in the point to give some details for the subjects that kq2vga let open.
The sure thing is that king's quest series are revived, and with good style.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

Re: kq3..

#216 Post by Vildern » Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:00 am

Well, look at this. Between KQ1 and KQ2 only few years passed. Between KQ3 and KQ4 only 5 minutes passed. Between KQ4-KQ7 about 2 years passed. But between KQ2-KQ3, about 18 years passed! Much could have happened that time. So instead of starting a KQ3 remake, there is a possibilty to create at least 2 sequels to KQ2..after all these are 18 years...

YODAM
Peasant Status

Re: kq3

#217 Post by YODAM » Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:40 am

i love the idea of making a Monty Python Holy Grail Game. I have the original that i had to order from A&E and it took 6 months to get and it was fun, but having an adventure game that is, in the words of the curnel "Silly!" would be great! LOL<br>it would be Camelot meets Leisure Suit Larry! lol

Phantomj
Peasant Status

Re: kq3..

#218 Post by Phantomj » Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:40 pm

Yeah I can see kq3 remade, the one thing i thought was in two's remake the father was Mannanan in desguise and since he didn't suspect that king Edward would call upon Sir. Graham so quickly in one and that he would actually suceed in getting the treasures back he decided in two to try and get King Graham killed so he can get the legendary power suposedly in Daventry.

I can see the start of three with Mannanan writing to his brother Mordak about how King Graham had defeated him and how he put the weak heart curse on him and it is time to keep his promise and make Graham pay. On his way out to wake the dragon and steal Alexander, he kills his slave out of fear that he'll learn some magic and stop him.

Well that is my two scents peace.

"When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an Ill-Tempered Dragon, remember you do not have to outrun the Dragon...you just have to outrun the halfling."

Zeus
Knight Status

#219 Post by Zeus » Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:14 pm

nice! and imagine a 3d intro showing a close up of manannan writing spells in his book with feather and ink, and preparing spells, and the stealth of alexander when he was a little boy,
and the terrific dragon which caught Rosella and flew to the mountain with her and keeps her prisoned. . .it would be a great introduction.
vildern i like your idea . . .it would take a lot of years for new quests though. On the other hand looking kq3 EGA, i am eager to see an enhanced version on this platform.

Orion
Royal Servant Status

#220 Post by Orion » Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:16 pm

True, but not everyone knows who Gwydion is... Now do they...

I've never played it - but I was stupid and ruined the game by reading about it...
- King Orion

" W o.O p ? "

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#221 Post by Kurdt » Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:57 pm

I could see the oracle revealing that scene, though. That would be cool.

Anyways, why does everyone want KQ3 so readily?? I mean, don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see it updated, but Kings Quest already has TWO remakes under its belt. It would be unfair to the other series to have KQ all decked out and not any of the others.
-----------------------
Kurt Rayner

Under the stars I'm alone among strangers confused, connected, diffused, and maligned. Maybe the future will smile on me, or maybe the future is here tonight...cuz it's a beautiful night...

Orion
Royal Servant Status

#222 Post by Orion » Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:37 pm

But as I've said, The good folks at Tierra have a good thing going with the KQ Remakes...

Personally, I would like to see a Larry2 remake, since I've never gotten very far in the game...

But I'm sticking to my idea of Remaking QfG4:SoD - WITHOUT Error52!!!
- King Orion

" W o.O p ? "

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#223 Post by Kurdt » Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:20 pm

Well, Tierra refuses to spend countless months doing something that Sierra could do in a matter of days since they have the source code already. Besides, how much crap would that get them in if they basically refurbished a game without changing a thing except for bug fixes? That's just out-and-out stealing, which I personally would want nothing to do with.
-----------------------
Kurt Rayner

Under the stars I'm alone among strangers confused, connected, diffused, and maligned. Maybe the future will smile on me, or maybe the future is here tonight...cuz it's a beautiful night...

adeyke

I think...

#224 Post by adeyke » Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:33 am

Now I'd rather have KQ3VGA than even QfG2VGA. QfG is definitely my favourite sierra game series. However, I like QfG2 as is, and a remake would be 1:1. There wouldn't much new content, just the interface, graphics and music. So when that's released, I'll already know all the puzzles. Sure, it is nice to get the enhanced graphics like in KQ1VGA, but it doesn't have the whole "new adventure" feel that came from first playing KQ2VGA.

I don't think the existence of Tierra's current two remakes means they should stop with the KQ series. Rather, it means they already have two years of experience working with King's Quest and could make another KQ game even better ;) . Also, in KQ3, they could say more about the Father subplot thing.

Of course, I am looking forward to eventually seeing QfG2VGA. I'm sure they'll do a wonderful job with that. However, the more room they have for their own individual creativity, the better. ;)

Relight
Archival Expert

#225 Post by Relight » Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:49 am

And it would be a cool game if AGCs use the technique of kq2vga for spells

well, it's pretty basic and easy, so it's a safe assumption that's the sort of read-spell-use-inventory thing they'd do.

but I would prefer to see a sequel instead of a remake

as much as wookie impresses me, if tierra are going to do an original game i'd rather it be their own original, instead of a sierra sequel.

also, tierra is all about remakes. that's what their purpose is! i think they will stick to that for some time, before making their own original story (free for download). there's himalaya studios (started by AGD1) for making original commercial adventures. there hasn't been an update for 6 months though on the himalaya site, so it'd be nice if AGD1 posted what's happening there.

as for wrapping up the story of kq2, wookie mentioned in another thread he may write it in a novel-form, since with kq9 in development by another team, wookie supposed it more on the unlikely side that tierra would do a sequel to KQ. furthermore, i don't know wookie's story but i imagine that there wouldn't be very many changes made to kq3 or kq4, 1) in order to keep true to the originals 2) they are merely the fulfilment of the father's curse, not the playing ground for a confrontation and resolution of the story.

but perhaps... just how much story is needed to wrap up the kq2 story? perhaps a mini-game could be made of it that contained only a few small quests and basically, lots of story-telling, with allusions to kq3,4,5. it could be made as the secret project and released after qfg2vga!!