Future remake? (archived)

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

elonepb
Peasant Status

Re: Future remake?

#226 Post by elonepb » Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:07 pm

oh man.. Police Quest is my second favorite... or maybe equal favorite to the King's Quest series. Please remake this game!

I still can't believe that Sierra turned the treasured Police Quest into that annoying SWAT game!

Anybody else remember the frustration of creating the Pentagram on the map in PQ5 was it?

adeyke

Actually...

#227 Post by adeyke » Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:32 am

I think that'd be PQ3. I've won PQ1 (both) and PQ2. I once played PQ3, but didn't win it, and I think with my fast computer now, I can't even leave the station at the start.

I actually bought the PQ collection, for no money. I never installed SWAT :p .

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#228 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:17 am

...the father was Mannanan in desguise....
why does everyone think Mannanan is the Father?

spoiler below!!

didnt anyone read a certain letter in a certain cage in KQ2+? It's from Mannanan (i know this because the Signiture is simply "M" and while some ppl might think its Mordack, it cant be because he talks about his servant that he has to kill and he asks Hagatha to suggest a new servant for him if she finds one..hence KQ3) and he talks about the Father himself and even slightly criticizes him. so its impossible that hes the Father.

there. blew that one out of the water :) jk. at least thats what it looks like to me.
"Requires MCGA, CGA, VGA, PGA, or TA-RA-RA-BOOMGA!!" -Gary Owens, SQ4

philthethrill101
Royal Servant Status

Re: Actually...

#229 Post by philthethrill101 » Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:42 pm

Do you get any points for reading the letter?

Relight
Archival Expert

#230 Post by Relight » Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:40 pm

Indeed, you get 1 point for doing so.

Lira Lindriel
Knight Status

#231 Post by Lira Lindriel » Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:13 pm

My fav choice #1 is Kq3 - I just want to see the story continued - I want to know more about the Father!!!

Then I'd of course also love a remake of Kq4 - it's one of my fav Kqs and I'd love to see what you'd change on it (to make it fit with the Father better)

And then also CoC. That one would really profit a lot from a remake!

edsegio
Peasant Status

future

#232 Post by edsegio » Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:41 am

I have to say that since you've already got the KQ community, stick with KQ3 and then KQ4. Since 5 and up icon interfaces, after that I'd move to the other quests.

that's my opinon!

Relight
Archival Expert

#233 Post by Relight » Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:06 pm

Well, it seems like there may be some other fans here and there secretly making or planning on making a VGA KQ4.

I'm gonna have to be a Tierra Loyalist here and hope that after QFG2, Tierra will remake at least KQ3 and hopefully KQ4. Unfortunately, if someone else remakes them, Tierra will not.

It's interesting to think about. AGD2 mentions in the future of making commercial games. Will Tierra stop remaking the classics then? Or will the AGDs keep on remaking the classics while also working on commercial adventures? Or, will they switch back and forth? A Tierra release, and then a commercial release?

In other words, what's the timescale, and is Tierra a limited-time offer? So it's not such a trivial question then, the question is, which remakes do you really badly want Tierra to make before they stop doing so? (Or at least put on hold while they work on a commercial game)

My top list is: KQ3, KQ4 and SQ3 (cause SQ2 is now out of the picture).

Wolfgang Abenteuer

Re: future

#234 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:09 pm

I second Relight's motion. KQ3, then KQ4. QFG and KQ were my all-time favourites.

~Wolfgang

Zeus
Knight Status

#235 Post by Zeus » Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:42 pm

and the last three candidates are laura bow 1, goldrush, camelot . . . but i think that there is no time for them . . .
it is too much 6 remakes . . .

Boioing
Peasant Status

Re:

#236 Post by Boioing » Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:50 pm

Larry 4 :)

Vel
Peasant Status

Future remakes

#237 Post by Vel » Fri Dec 13, 2002 7:04 pm

Here are my top5
Gold rush(it would be really interesting)
King's quest 3(you MUST do that one
King's quest 4(after KQ3)
Space quest 2
Space quest 3

Fender178
Knight Status

Re: Re:

#238 Post by Fender178 » Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:16 am

well sq2 is under construction which means in computer talk is someone is all ready working on it. as for sq3 another team i think is still has it as one of their projects. i hope they remake kq3 it would be good to see Mannnan's house in vga graphics. Well wait and see what they are going to do after QFG2.

Straygator
Peasant Status

Re: Remakes

#239 Post by Straygator » Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:41 pm

KQ3's game environvent isn't that big when you think about it. Would it take as long to make? Space Quest 3 is a fantastic game, and was an achievement in its day. It actually made CGA look like VGA, the graphics were that well done.

The problem is that most fan-companies that say they are doing remakes or sequals never finish them. The Space Quest 2 remake is looking good but then again the Tierra one look pretty close.

Phantomj
Peasant Status

#240 Post by Phantomj » Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:19 am

Why can I see the Father in the rest of the series behind the scene manipulating people to do his bidding.

"When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an Ill-Tempered Dragon, remember you do not have to outrun the Dragon...you just have to outrun the halfling."

Phantomj
Peasant Status

#241 Post by Phantomj » Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:18 am

Kings Quest III possible remake opening.

You see Manannan talking to the Father in his crystal ball whom sends him on a journey.

Father: I need you to go to the land of Tamir and talk to Lollote and tell her it is time; don't use magic, because there is someone else in Tamir that will do anything in her power to stop you.

Manannan: BOY! You have been neglecting my chickens again go feed them now! Excuse me Father, but it is so hard these days to find good help.

Father: How many times Manannan have I told you stop taking children. Take heed to my warnings for I see in your future that the next one you take will get the better of you.

Manannan: HA! HA! HA! HA! Do not worry Father I only keep them until the age of seventeen and then get rid of them.

CRASH!

Manannan: Excuse me again Father, you incompetent fool! I told you to feed my chickens! THUD! POOF!

Father: When you return from Tamir I need a full report.

Manannan: Of course Father.

Father leaves new image appears.

Manannan peers again into the crystal ball.

Manannan: It is time. POOF! Reappears with a baby and his midwife.

Manannan: Casting a spell on the midwife to wipe her memory and then tells her that she is in the service of him and is being well paid for to raise Gwydion and teach him to read and write.

Manannan to midwife: I am going on a long journey, everything you need is here. If you leave I will kill you. Midwife frightenly nods.

Young Gwydion being bright and curious discovers Manannan's secret laboratory and gets it in his mind that some day he'll get rid of Manannan once and for all.

Manannan returns Gwydion is about seven years old and due to being a bright boy has learned to read and write quite well. Manannan kills the midwife and then starts really treating Gwydion harshly breaking his spirit like all the others.

TEN YEARS LATER

Gwydion is now seventeen and still is being treated harshly by Manannan whom appears and gives him a chore to do.

Game starts.

I can see this happening in the beginning of KQIII if they decide to remake it after QFGII.
"When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an Ill-Tempered Dragon, remember you do not have to outrun the Dragon...you just have to outrun the halfling."

MusicallyInspired

#242 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:17 am

interesting, Phantomj. tho i cant see it as being that...comedically sided. but im sure u just filled in words to get the point across (or maybe you didnt.. :) ). but its very interesting.

Phantomj
Peasant Status

#243 Post by Phantomj » Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:25 am

Of course the words can be changed, but for the sake of point i can picture him killing off the servant and the father warning him of the next. any ways this is a very possible opening.

MusicallyInspired

#244 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:07 pm

indeed it is. i like it!

Ironic Symbolic
Peasant Status

#245 Post by Ironic Symbolic » Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:05 pm

If you redo KQ3 (I hope so...), prepare to do Kq4 as well... espacially if there is plot element in KQ3 only solve on next remake...

Eurythmic
Peasant Status

#246 Post by Eurythmic » Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:18 am

I personally would rather see an improvement than a facelift - or else something completely new (this would include sequels). King's Quest gives you a great setting and memorable characters to work with, but the story itself leaves lots of room for improvement. This makes KQIII an ideal candidate. KQII proved that Tierra can take a game, do what they please with it, and come out with a product that's better than the original. Sierra couldn't even maintain a good atmosphere in its own remakes (in my opinion).

I'd love to see the Laura Bow series continued, for instance... but does Colonel's Bequest really need to be remade? Sure, it can be given a facelift, but it already looks good. And I really don't see where the story could be improved.

So, I'd rather see Tierra remake games they feel they can improve, top to bottom. Further fleshing out of the King's Quest saga seems the most logical place to start.

http://www.mp3.com/P_o_T

philthethrill101
Royal Servant Status

#247 Post by philthethrill101 » Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:44 pm

Hey, Eurythmic, I like your animated gif of Guybrush Threepwood from Secret of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge. I liked that game. Did you? I thought it was kind of strange when Guybrush went to Elaine's costume party wearing a dress. The ending was also kind of strange when Guybrush was a little boy again and he was at a carnival.

Zeus
Knight Status

#248 Post by Zeus » Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:47 pm

the only improvement i could think except graphics ,for laura bow 1, is two have multiple random endings with different murderers each time.
this is quite difficult because there is a need to change other things as well, in order to help player to identify the killer. . .change of some of dialogues, change protagonists of some events etc.

El Ravager
Knight Status

#249 Post by El Ravager » Sat Dec 21, 2002 10:52 am

Actually it's just "Monkey Island 2" ;)

At the end, he's under one of LeChuck's Voodoo spells. (you don't really find that out unless you watch the credits, though).
~El Ravager~

Eurythmic
Peasant Status

#250 Post by Eurythmic » Sat Dec 21, 2002 11:25 am

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the MI series. I originally hated the ending of MI2, but over the years it grew on me. Now it might actually be my favorite game in the series.

http://www.mp3.com/P_o_T