Future remake? (archived)

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Storm
Knight Status

Re: Future remake?

#376 Post by Storm » Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:26 pm

I don't know any German except from what I picked up playing GK2 (danke, bitte).

However, I watched many films about the holocaust and I can say the "Sturmbandfuhrer" is a rank in the Nazi army.

"Fuhrer" was hitler's title, wasn't it?

Very tasteless, Lucasfan.:x

The Knight
King of Men

Yep........................................

#377 Post by The Knight » Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:52 pm

Yes Storm, you're correct. ANother thing that gave it away was the "Hail Tierra" part.

The Knight

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Wow..........................................

#378 Post by Erpy » Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:01 am

Fuhrer just means leader in German, although it has a negative meaning ever since "THE leader" arrived. Sturmband most likely refers to one of those political police-forces. (like Sturm Abteilung)

The remark was most likely a sarcastic comment to indicate that he found DJ's words somewhat radical.

(oh, and Phil is from California, actually)

The Knight
King of Men

There.......................................................

#379 Post by The Knight » Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:05 am

With that taken care of, shouldn't we get back to the topic of the thread?

The Knight

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

Re: Yep........................................

#380 Post by Vildern » Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:26 am

Thnx for letting me know, Erpy. Sometimes I just imagine things and think they are true.... :rolleyes

The Knight
King of Men

sometimes..............................................

#381 Post by The Knight » Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:21 am

Sometimes, I imagine I'm talking to a cat, when I talk to you. :lol :lol :lol
I have full confidence that other groups than Tierra can create remakes. Its not pratical for just Tierra to do it.

The Knight

The LucasFan
Royal Servant Status

Re: Wow..........................................

#382 Post by The LucasFan » Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:34 am

Yes, Sturmbannführer was a rank in the Nazi army. Fascists like Wernher von Braun were such SS-Sturmbannführer. Nowadays it's often used as a sarcastic paraphrase for a fanatic person.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#383 Post by Vildern » Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:45 am

Still not funny.

The Knight
King of Men

Now.....................................................

#384 Post by The Knight » Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:13 am

I don't think anyone liked the comment that was made. Now be like Trent lott and apoligize over and over.

The Knight

The LucasFan
Royal Servant Status

#385 Post by The LucasFan » Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:41 am

Still not funny
And it was never meant to be. Maybe other projects don't have as much time or know-how like Tierra, but that's not a competition. Those games aren't worse (or better) than Tierra-games and especially not worthless. They are all just different, like the people who play them.

The Knight
King of Men

ok..........................................................

#386 Post by The Knight » Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:08 am

How about we end this discussion and go back on-topic?

The Knight

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

Re: Now.....................................................

#387 Post by Vildern » Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:25 am

Why, Knight? We've never done such a thing ... ;)

philthethrill101
Royal Servant Status

#388 Post by philthethrill101 » Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:57 pm

Vildern, I am from Germany and I am German. Unfortunately, I am not fluent in German. I came to the US when I was only four years old and I learned English. I know some of the basic phrases but I don't know some of the advanced ones. I've read a few German books and I'm able to pronounce the words but some of the words I don't know. I've also listened to German cassettes and I pretty much understood those. I've read a bit of Alice im Wunderland (Alice in Wonderland), and a few of the Grimms Marchen ( Grimms Fairy Tales). The German cassettes I've listened to are Schneewitchen (Snow White), Aschenputtel (Cinderella), Hansel und Gretel ( Hansel and Gretel), Tischlein Deck Dich (The table that Laid itself), Die Sterntaler (the Falling Stars), Konig Drosselbart (King (I forget what Drosselbart means)), and Dornroschen (Sleeping Beauty-Disney version), and Schneewitchen und die seben zwerge (Snow White and the Seven Dwarves). I also went to Germany once and I watched a few videos like Dornroschen (Sleeping Beauty-Disney German version), Die Kleine Merjungfrau (The Little Mermaid-Disney version in German), and Aladdin und die Wunderlampe (Aladdin and the Magic Lamp).
Was denkts du jetzt, Vildern. Spreche ich deutsch oder nicht?
(What do you think, Vildern. Do I speak German or not?)

Captain B
Peasant Status

re

#389 Post by Captain B » Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:38 pm

Wasn't Werhner Von Braun, the Missile scientist who then worked for the Nasa space program? I really doubt he was a Fascisit per se, just didn't want to be killed by the nazi inquistion.

George Stobbart
Peasant Status

Next Remake

#390 Post by George Stobbart » Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:05 pm

Finally I´ve completed KQ1VGA last week and KQ2VGA+ yesterday.

And all I can say is:

THANK YOU ! THANK YOU !! THANK YOU !!! :D

I was never much into the KQ series
(I just had played KQ5 yet,which was OK)
but (especially) your extended remake of KQ2 ,
which is BTW one of the best adventures of the last couple of years,
aroused my interest in the stories about Graham and his family !

Back to topic:

I always thought, it would be logical (for TIERRA) to work on a KQ3 VGA remake
(which I will start playing after finishing the AGI versions of KQ1 & KQ2 )
because you already did a great job with it´s predecessors.

My second choice for the next project would be The Colonels Bequest , as many others already suggested.
A 1:1 remake wouldn´t make much sense though,
because LB1 consists to 80% in conducting/eavesdropping conversations.
Which isn´t a bad thing, but would be pretty boring for the games developers (I suppose :p ) when it comes to programming.

@ MuzlakOofmay

Glad to hear that you are working on KQ4VGA (I wasn´t aware of it :o ) ,which would "complete" the series
(if we take for granted that TIERRA will start working on KQ3VGA , of course ;) )

PS
Any news about the Police Quest 2: The Venegance - VGA version ???

Edited by: George Stobbart at: 2/6/03 5:03:58 pm

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#391 Post by Vildern » Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:30 pm

Ich bin from Israel, du bist from the USA (as for now).

I know some words in German, but I'm not a German. It is for sure that your German is better than mine.

For an Israely, though, learning German is easier than learning English. Or better said: It is easier for an Israely to speak German than English, cause some of the 'sounds' (sorry, I dont know the proper word in English) in German are like some of the sounds in Hebrew. And English is so not like Hebrew.

Edited by: Vildern at: 2/6/03 1:31:35 pm

The Knight
King of Men

Hmmmm................................

#392 Post by The Knight » Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:17 pm

Any news about the Police Quest 2: The Venegance - VGA ???
Its been underway for a while. But, the site had problems and so its down for a bit, but, should be back shortly. But, so far, no problems with the game itself.

The Knight

George Stobbart
Peasant Status

Re: Next Remake

#393 Post by George Stobbart » Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:01 pm

But, so far, no problems with the game itself.
Great news !!! 8)

Do you maintain contact with the developer team (Werewolf Productions, if I recall correctly) ?

If it is so, do you know something about the state of progress ? :)

Sorry for the nonserious direct questions but I´m just toooooooo curious :D

Edited by: George Stobbart at: 2/6/03 5:03:04 pm

The Knight
King of Men

Sorta........................................

#394 Post by The Knight » Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:56 pm

One of the people on the team is on the forums here. You can go to this thread to post your questions on it.

The Knight

George Stobbart
Peasant Status

Thanks

#395 Post by George Stobbart » Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:23 am

Thank you very much for the link Knight !

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

Re: Next Remake

#396 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:30 am

PS-- I haven't started on my remake yet... Just have plans for it. I have a project to finish ATM.

The Knight
King of Men

I'm aware........................................

#397 Post by The Knight » Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:32 am

I'm aware of the fact that you haven't started KQ4 yet. But, if all goes well you will.

The Knight

Broomie
The Enigma

Re: Thanks

#398 Post by Broomie » Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:11 am

Everyone seems to be using their own special engine they made, thats brilliant but whats wrong with good ol AGS. :hat If you make your own adventure engine how on earth do you do it? When Chris Jones brang out AGS and Brian brang SCI Studio out how did they make it. Creepy :eek !

Broomie

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

Re: I'm aware........................................

#399 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:04 am

I can give a very rough explanation, since you aren't a coder (My apologies if you are).

Firstly, Why. I plan on making my own adventure game engine because I want to make commercial games, not only free games. I thought that KQ4 would be a good place to start because I didn't have to plan out a whole storyline, like I do for Arean's WIsh. Let me tell you, dedicated people are hard to find! Not that I think my staff are undedicated. It just took a long time to find them. People want new games, not just remakes of old ones :) . That's why KQ2 was so much better :)

Secondly, I have been coding for a very long time. 9 years. I started doing this before AGS came out. And my whole goal the whole time was to make basically what AGS turned out to be. I found out about AGS when I found out about Tierra. At that point in time, I was already working on my own adventure game engine, which was very primitive, and still is (I haven't gotten very far with it: yet). I was working on a game we thought we'd call A Stand For Secrecy. I don't remember why. My brother suggested it, and I said ok. I was working on the engine before we even had a story planned out.

Thirdly, I think that if you CAN program your own engine, you should. You'll learn a lot more. It'll look a lot better when applying for a programmingi job. Basically, the experience is a lot more, shall we say, satisfying? Anyways, I *THINK* AGD2 doesn't know C++ or another suitable language to make his own engine with. I'm not positive, and I'm sorry if offense was caused. So, it's not a problem that he didn't make his own.

Now: What's different:

My engine will be a LOT like AGS. Only a few minor things will be changed for my convienience, and a different pathfinding method will be used. I believe I will use Distance Transform, but I haven't COMPLETELY researched the different possibilities. AGS uses the Djikstra algorithm.

The actual screen resolution will most likely be different. I believe I will be using 320z240 resolution, which is better supported on computers. Also, it will make me have to use less cropping, making it so you can see more of the image without stretching. Also, the engine will support Direct3d AND DirectDraw. AGS is built off DirectDraw. Therefor, all of it's alpha blending and shading routines are done by locking the individual surfaces, and adjusting them. This can be tedious, and slow, one of the reasons of those major slowdowns at alpha blending parts of the game. Direct3d is all pre-calculated, and everything is implemented in textures allowing way more effects, such as color tinting, and overall more ease in development.

I am going to completely scrap my current sprite engine. I have a much better idea of how to build it. Everything will be OOP (Object Oriented Programming) so the elements will build off one another. The sprite engine will begin by scanning in the image. It will support more formats than AGS, just because of the method I'm using.

Lastly, HOW:

I use c and C++ to code. C++ SYNTAX is very similiar to AGS, however, the actual code work is very different. For example, I believe AGS calls animations "views." These are most likely stored in an integer array pointer, which takes quite a bit of thinking to figure out how to store the individual arrays into a file, since you'd only be sending a pointer to the file, and you need to send the actual data. So it's a lot more complex, unfortunately.

The engine will probably be roughly 9,000-15,00 lines of code. This is due to the flexibility I will be implementing by making two seperate sprite engines, one for DirectDraw, and one for Direct3D.

The scripting language, I have not thoroughly researched on how I will do. Arean's wish scripting language is completely programmed by myself, but is more primitive than AGS. I have an idea about how to code an AGS-like syntax, but it could be crude to implement. There is a programm known as Yacc that I haven't looked into thoroughly, but I BELIEVE it creates scripting languages similiar to AGS-script for you. But like I said before, if you CAN do something, it's much more rewarding if you DO.

As far as scripting commands go, they will be stored in a structure that stores all the functions and scripts into a script array.

TytrisSCD
Peasant Status

Re: Future remake?

#400 Post by TytrisSCD » Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:00 am

All in all Colonel Bequest is good Conquest of Camelot would be GREAT but the one iam thinking about more importantly is Conquest of the Longbow

Where your story ends....... Another begins....