Future remake? (archived)

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

El Ravager
Knight Status

Re: Thanks

#401 Post by El Ravager » Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:07 am

Conquests of the Longbow is already a VGA game, so the chances that Tierra will remake is are roughly 0%.

~El Ravager~

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: I'm aware........................................

#402 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:09 pm

All I can say, Muzlack, is I have an unspeakable amount of respect for people like Chris Jones, Brian, and you who can actually understand and do all that. My hat goes off to you guys. And keep it up.

"Requires MCGA, CGA, VGA, PGA, or TA-RA-RA-BOOMGA!!" -Gary Owens, SQ4

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

Re: Future remake?

#403 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:11 am

See, the big problem though, is the actual game-maker. I have the "interpreter" all planned out. But making the program that will make the program is going to be really tough. I want to learn how to use MFC *yuck!* to make a windows-based application, but, MFC is yucky.

philthethrill101
Royal Servant Status

Re: Thanks

#404 Post by philthethrill101 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:03 pm

What's so yucky about MFC? I don't know anything about programming so don't bother answering the question if you're busy.

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

#405 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:56 pm

I've only had a little experience with it, and I didn't like it. I was trying to make a simple window popup requesting that you type in some text, and close. Very simple. I had to "draw" the window in MFC, and it was overall, very enjoyable. But, I came up with a better idea. I will make my own GUI. This will make the engine be even HARDER to make, but I'll take so much more out of it, because I'll have to code my own textboxes, buttons, fileviewers, etc. Most of which can be reused for the actual engine :)

philthethrill101
Royal Servant Status

#406 Post by philthethrill101 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:03 pm

That's great. I wish you lots of luck.

Troller420
Knight Status

Wow

#407 Post by Troller420 » Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:26 am

This is a really long thread.

"Lose yourself in the music, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go
You only get one shot; do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime"

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

#408 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:14 am

and YOU'RE ONLY MAKING IT LONGER!
JK. :)

Broomie
The Enigma

#409 Post by Broomie » Sun Feb 16, 2003 5:42 am

I can give a very rough explanation, since you aren't a coder (My apologies if you are).
Nope, never coded in my life. Well there's The Games Factory and AGS but where's there everything else their mastercard, I meant Masterminds! :o

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

Re: Wow

#410 Post by Vildern » Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:26 pm

Is it OK to vote multiple times for this poll? I voted 3-4 times...:rolleyes

MuzlakOofmay, how are you related to the sponge factory?

The Knight
King of Men

He..........................................................

#411 Post by The Knight » Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:36 pm

He is on the team that makes the games, I believe.
Vildern:YOU VOTED 3-4 TIMES?!? I don't know what we should do with people like you. JK!

The Knight

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#412 Post by Vildern » Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:00 pm

Well, each game has more than 100 votes, so 3-4 votes is a minor percentage :rolleyes

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

#413 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:13 pm

@ Vildern

Well, actually, me and a friend started the company. That's as far as it goes. We've had the name sponge Factory for maybe a year, before that, we couldn't think of a good name, so we used the names, MC Software (Munro Covert Software(BAGH! I just said my last name!)) and GravitySpot. Don't ask why we chose those names, it was just temporary.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

Re: He......................................................

#414 Post by Vildern » Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:19 pm

MuzlakOofmay, have you released some games? And if so, do you recommend one of them?

And as far as it seems, KQ3 wins big time in this poll. But I don't get the name! What does: "To heir is human" mean?

[img]Edited%20by:%20Vildern%20at:%202/17/03%202:20:13%20pm[/img]

anathoth8
Triforce Defender

#415 Post by anathoth8 » Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:37 pm

It's a play on a common English expression, "To err is human." Meaning that it is natural to make mistakes, because we are all human. They just changed the word "err" to "heir" which means the person who will get everything on the person's death. The new phrase however, doesn't really mean anything. Like I said, it's just a play on words, like most of the King's Quest titles.

Don't go out the same way you did the last time
You'll break when you fall
Don't make the same mistakes you did all over
You've got to believe in yourself this time

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#416 Post by navynuke04 » Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:46 pm

As the game opens, the player has no idea who "Gwydion" is. As they play, they learn that he is actually the Heir to King Graham's throne. Thus -"To Heir Is Human".

"Without the fleet, the contest would be on our home grounds, and war is one contest in which it is best to be on the visiting team." -ADM Nimitz

philthethrill101
Royal Servant Status

#417 Post by philthethrill101 » Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:13 pm

What about KQ6: Heir today, gone tomorrow?

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#418 Post by Vildern » Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:20 pm

It was: "Here today, gone tomorrow". It was a known saying, they changed it to...the name you already know ;)

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

#419 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:19 am

What does absence make the heart go yonder mean?

This is off topic, but it's in response to Vildern.

Every game we have made up to this point has been, I suppose you could say, unprofessional. Our last released game, SGTBM II, was a space fighting game. (SGTBM stands for Space Game That Bryce Made :) )

After finishing that game, I decided to work on my first *HUGE* project. It was originally going to be a 2 man project, and we had begun work on a DOS Qbasic version a year before. But QBasic has a lot of limits, and we could work no further. After SGTBM II, I decided to give the game a facelift, and do it in 640x480 DirectX. Now it was a one man project, since my friend didn't know c++. Anyways, the team's had to build since I'm not good at writing a story, not good at pixel art, and not good at hand sketching. So this project will be our first professional one.

As far as recommendations go, I have one game up for download atm. It's called Elk Hunter. It was my very first graphical game in anything besides QBASIC. (I actually began work on Arean's Wish Dos version before this project). It was a very primitive fighting game remotely similiar to mortal kombat. It had no music, and no special moves, but, hey, it was my first ok game. Here's the link if you are interested, it'll be a good way to compare where my skills have gone when hopefully some of you see Arean's Wish. www.nancycarterdesign.com/spongefactory/dl/elk.zip

I also have to recommend MAFIA, which, unfortunately is not uploaded yet. MAFIA was pretty much an inside joke. It revolved around people we know, but it should still be fun, and funny. I'll do my best to get it up soon.

Using AWGS (Arean's Wish Game studio), I made a game for a project at school. It was called Mafia Preface. It was supposed to explain how school got evil in MAFIA. Anyways, it's a really funny project because it was supposed to be about how cloning works, and we actually just made a big story, that had nothing to do with how cloning works, and how much we loved Mr. Darvis II (the teacher, his real name is mr. davis). It has an awesome soundtrack too! You can get it at http://www.gamedev.net/community/gds/pr ... jectID=824
it's 20 megs, but worth the download. It's fun. Keep in mind that Arean's wish is going to look nothing like this game. We've made HUGE changes to the engine since.

Expect to see an Arean's Wish demo soon!

But yeah, what does Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder mean?

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#420 Post by Vildern » Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:28 am

Interesting, MuzalkOofmay! Thanks for this all ;)

It is hard to tell what this name means, I find it hard to understand most of Sierra's titles. And also Tierra's....what does "romancing the stones" mean? :rolleyes

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#421 Post by Vildern » Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:30 am

It has something to do with the Flintstones (stone age...)? :rolleyes

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

#422 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:37 am

I may be wrong, but I believe it is the result of a joke. There is a book named "Romancing the Stones." I BELIEVE they made a joke, to make the title of the game the same as the title of the book, which was made into a movie as well, IIRC.

I personally think it would have been better to leave it as Romancing the Throne. But, hey, it was the only thing I didn't like about the game.

Wolfgang Abenteuer

#423 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:12 am

"Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder" is a play on words of the expression, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder.", meaning that you'll love someone more when they've left (and hopefully, when they return! :p ).

"Romancing the Stones" is a play on "Romancing the Stone", a movie with (IIRC) Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner. It was a sequel to Jewel of the Nile. Or was it the other way around?!? Anyway..."Romancing the Throne", Sierra's subtitle for KQ2, was a play on that, so Tierra's name was sort of a play on a play on a name.

...Have I confused you yet, because if not I can keep trying! ;)

~Wolfgang

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#424 Post by Vildern » Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:29 am

I think I got it, thanks! ;)

And what does "IIRC" mean? (Try to look smart! Try to look smart!) :) (Na... try to look smarter!) :D (That's better!)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#425 Post by Erpy » Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:11 am

IIRC means "If I recall correctly".

And yeah, Romancing the Stone was the prequel to "Jewel of the Nile" with Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner.