KQ2 Church vs. QG4 Monastary

This forum is for discussion about KQII:RTS. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Troller420
Knight Status

KQ2 Church vs. QG4 Monastary

#1 Post by Troller420 » Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:58 am

Has anyone noticed a similarity in the two places? Take a look at the link below, which shows a screenshot of both. Notice particularly the door and the area around the door. Do you think this is just coincidence, or was this a hidden foreshadowing of the storyline?

www.angelfire.com/mi3/trollingace/

"Lose yourself in the music, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go
You only get one shot; do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime"

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

Re: KQ2 Church vs. QG4 Monastary

#2 Post by navynuke04 » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:07 am

Well, it is a known fact that Tierra uses the graphics from pre-existing games sometimes. They don't openly copy them outright though. It's always in a subtle manner.

I think you may have found such a case.

"Without the fleet, the contest would be on our home grounds, and war is one contest in which it is best to be on the visiting team." -ADM Nimitz

Wolfgang Abenteuer

Hmmm...

#3 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:25 am

I don't notice that many similarities between the two aside from their overall shape. The wall textures are entirely different and the don't share any of the same features other than having a door at the far end. Then again, I'm pretty much the last person to be asking about art! :p

However, I must humbly request that you refrain from posting too many QFG4 screenshots on these forums because one of our moderators (who we'll call "Wolfgang") really loves that game and cannot play it without being Error 52-ed into next week and whenever he sees a screenshot from it he longs to be back in beautiful, picturesque Mordavia during autumn. He then finds it difficult to concentrate on...uhm...what was I saying again?! :eek

~Wolfgang

Troller420
Knight Status

Re: Hmmm...

#4 Post by Troller420 » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:32 am

I had to go through a lot to even get that screenshot, like Error 47, the one on the path. I had to start as a wizard so I could cast trigger on the squid stone so as to not trigger the error. I like the game too, and that's the first QFG4 screenshot I've posted.

There are some similarities I've noticed: they both have a ledge over the door, they both have a window on the top over the door, an arch of some form on the right wall (arch over altar vs. fireplace). The thing that led me to inquire was that the doors look identical.

Edited by: Troller420 at: 4/9/03 2:36:27 am

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:42 am

Same design.....but it's the DOOR though that's uncanny.

"Requires MCGA, CGA, VGA, PGA, or TA-RA-RA-BOOMGA!!" -Gary Owens, SQ4

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:44 am

I think it's mainly the door. The door texture is similar to the QFG4-door. It wasn't like that in the concept sketch. It's not improbable that the artist used the monastery from QFG4 as inspiration.

Edited by: Erpy at: 4/9/03 4:45:30 am

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#7 Post by Vildern » Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:25 am

I think that the monastary of KQ2VGA looks better :hat

Edited by: Vildern at: 4/9/03 5:30:01 am

optic
Knight Status

#8 Post by optic » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:33 pm

I can' really see any similatrities except the door. And, the KQ2VGA church/monestry is more better looking! :)

Troller420
Knight Status

#9 Post by Troller420 » Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:25 am

One other thing I've noticed... what's with the head on the left church wall? It looks like Satan or something. I know the monks are evil and all, but they're still trying to look like a Catholic church. Although probably not many people go to church at midnight except on Christmas Eve.

GabrielKnight52
Peasant Status

#10 Post by GabrielKnight52 » Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:06 am

The Monastary? How about Castle Borgov, from the same game? Check out the chandeliers and the color of the stone.

I think that pudgy statue is meant to be a cherib. (Also foreshadowing ;) )

Also, if you keep talking to the monk, when you first meet him, I believe he comments on their strange hours :D

0]

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#11 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:24 am

(Oh, this is AGD1 posting under AGD2's account):

Hey guys. Nope, it wasn't intentionally based off the monestary in QFG4. The only thing I can think of, is about a week before, I was drawing Sierra backgrounds for fun--just taking backgrounds and remaking them in pencil, for myself, for fun, and for practice. I had been drawing QFG4 backgrounds...and I did like the style of art in that game. So, perhaps I subconciously used the same style. In fact, I'm really glad that you guys see similarities, because the QFG4 style is one of my favorites in all games!!

Thanks for the compliments on the drawing, by the way:)

The demon looking cherub on the wall was for foreshadowing purposes...

Anonymous Game Developer #1

Edited by: Anonymous Game Creator 2 at: 4/10/03 5:24:45 am

GarageGothic
Peasant Status

A peek behind the scenes?

#12 Post by GarageGothic » Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:09 pm

Wow, it's great seeing early stages of background art. It's absolutely beautiful. Reminds me of the sketches in the QFG4 manual and hint book. I remember admiring those for hours.

I'm one of those nutty people who enjoy listening to director's commentaries on DVDs more than watching the movie itself. And I was wondering if the AGDs would allow us some insight into the process of creating the artwork for KQ1VGA and KQ2VGA. Maybe somebody asked this before (though I did a search in all forums, but didn't find anything), if so, I'd be really happy if someone would give me the URL.

How would you go from the location description in the design document to finished. For the entirely original images that aren't based on KQ2 art, how do you choose view angles, color schemes etc.? Do you make multiple sketches before deciding on the final layout of the screen. Erpy refers to the pencil drawing as a "concept sketch", but to me it looks as if that drawing is the actual screen as it is in the game, only lacking color and detailing? I assume this would be done in Photoshop or a similar program? How would you approach this (using layers etc.)?

It'd be great to see some shots of the different stages of development.

I understand if you don't walk to reveal your techniques. It would after all be a bit like a magician explaining his tricks. But I know that every amateur background artist out there could learn something from the masters - and I don't think you have to fear tons of Tierra-wannabe art. After all, most of us are already trying to emulate the original Sierra style.

Thanks,
GarageGothic