All About Football

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

New England Patriots
Royal Servant Status

All About Football

#1 Post by New England Patriots » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:11 pm

Hello, I am new to this website. I say hello and greetings to all.This particular subject will be about the sport of football.Whatever it is you want to say about football please say it here. As you might know my favorite team is the New England Patriots :)

Broomie
The Enigma

#2 Post by Broomie » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:21 pm

I never knew why they called it American Football when there is hardly any contact with the foot in the sport. When "True" football, what the Americans call Soccer, deserves that name everywhere. I think they should have called it American Rugby instead of football, since the English invented Football, it should stay football everywhere... but to be honest I'm don't really care.

Okay that's my rant about American Football. Carry on.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:23 pm

It's called football, because the ball is one foot in length, it appears. (they still use the imperial measurement system in the US)

Jafar
Super Star

#4 Post by Jafar » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:29 pm

Football? Who needs football? :rolleyes

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#5 Post by Charlemagne » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:40 pm

Unlike in the sissy American version, here in Canada, we only need three downs to play football, not four. We have a bigger field too. Hee, hee.... :lol

New England Patriots
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by New England Patriots » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:51 pm

Well, There are also European football teams like......

The Amsterdam Admirals

The Claymores

The Galaxy

Fire

And The Dragons

Those are all NFL-E teams from Europe

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#7 Post by Spikey » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:55 pm

Oh I like the Amsterdam Admirals. For obscure reasons though.

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#8 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:03 pm

i'm not a football fan ... i went to my college's football games because A) i was either in the marching band or, B) i had friends in the band and i would hang out with them.  go band geeks!

Skyshark
Knight Status

#9 Post by Skyshark » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:25 am

I prefer Aussie Rules Football to gridiron (American Football) or soccer (European football), myself.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#10 Post by Klytos » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:05 am

Charlemagne wrote:Unlike in the sissy American version, here in Canada, we only need three downs to play football, not four. We have a bigger field too. Hee, hee.... :lol
American Football, it's just Rugby with padding. The sissy's.

New England Patriots
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by New England Patriots » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:40 am

sissys.....SISSYS?? what are you talking about? our football is just as rough as your "rugby" pops so i wouldnt talk >: .............oh........sorry :(

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#12 Post by Ghost_Rider » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:27 am

Klytos wrote:American Football, it's just Rugby with padding. The sissy's.
That's right, Rugby is a warrior's sport.  North American football is a wannabe-warrior's sport.  Want to be tough, but a little bit scared, so have to put on tons of padding so they don't get a little bruised here and there.   :lol

Jafar
Super Star

#13 Post by Jafar » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:40 am

They're both lousy sports! :p
*Runs before he gets sacked by football/rugby fans*

Klytos

#14 Post by Klytos » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:08 am

Ghost_Rider wrote:
Klytos wrote:American Football, it's just Rugby with padding. The sissy's.
That's right, Rugby is a warrior's sport.  North American football is a wannabe-warrior's sport.  Want to be tough, but a little bit scared, so have to put on tons of padding so they don't get a little bruised here and there.   :lol
Damn straight. It'd be a much better game if they didn't wear all that padding.

Keenermart
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by Keenermart » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:20 pm

As one who has played both rugby (college intramural team) and American football (high school), I can say that the padding is definitely necessary for American football.  The nature of the hitting in the two sports is not the same at all.  Not once while playing rugby was I ever hit by a 250 lb. linebacker (who was all muscle) running at full speed (113 kg guy for all you metric users).  The hitting in rugby is from a much closer distance, with much less momentum behind the players when they're doing the hitting.  And not once while playing rugby was I running across the middle and jumping in the air to catch a pass and then getting hit by a 225 lb. (102 kg) safety at an even faster speed and the first thing to hit the ground was the back of my head.

I'm not putting rugby down... it's a really tough sport, and takes a tough person to play.  But to call American football players sissies because they wear pads is showing a real lack of understanding of the nature of the game.

Keenermart
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by Keenermart » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:26 pm

And by the way, Mr. Patriots fan...  I'm a Cowboys fan... but I'm pulling for your Patriots in this one, and totally expecting a blowout.  I don't think it would have made much of a difference in the game, but you can thank the Cowboys for breaking Terrell Owens' leg and putting him out.  ;)

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#17 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:36 pm

Sports in general and humankind's worship of them is totally ghey anyway.

Bt

rugged
Defense Minister Status

rugby v gridiron

#18 Post by rugged » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:14 am

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:20 pm
Post subject: Re: All About Football  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As one who has played both rugby (college intramural team) and American football (high school), I can say that the padding is definitely necessary for American football.  The nature of the hitting in the two sports is not the same at all
I am sure in top level rugby the hits are as big  as AF although maybe not as many per game. It depends where you played your rugby in America most of the really talented sports people are far more likely to play AF then rugby so of course the  tackles are bigger in AF as it has the better players. Also in general the standard of US rugby is very poor compared to the major  Rugby nations. Just like the standard of AF in New Zealand is very poor compared to America, if you were to play both AF and Rugby over here you would get the complete opposite reaction and say that Rugby has much bigger hits, which doesn't actually mean it does it just mean the standard of AF here is poor so cannot be compared. [/quote]

Klytos

#19 Post by Klytos » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:30 am

Not once while playing rugby was I ever hit by a 250 lb. linebacker (who was all muscle) running at full speed (113 kg guy for all you metric users).  The hitting in rugby is from a much closer distance, with much less momentum behind the players when they're doing the hitting.  And not once while playing rugby was I running across the middle and jumping in the air to catch a pass and then getting hit by a 225 lb. (102 kg) safety at an even faster speed and the first thing to hit the ground was the back of my head.
I have a very good knowledge of your American Football, I watch it all the time on cable television over here. I just honestly don't see that much difference in the hits on each other except that gridiron sissy's wear padding. And let's not forget that there's pretty much two teams playing half the time (offense and defense) compared with League / Rugby where the players are on the field for most of the match.

And the Rugby player is not always hitting from a much closer distance. As the rules of the game make passing the ball backwards mandatory, as you know, there's usually good distance between the players before the tackle.

As for being tackled in the air, thats just bloody stupid.

Keenermart
Royal Servant Status

#20 Post by Keenermart » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:55 pm

Klytos wrote:
As for being tackled in the air, thats just bloody stupid.
Haha... agreed.  But, it is a part of the game, perfectly legal as long as the receiver has already touched the ball, and happens all the time.  Quite painful, especially when the ground you're hitting is frozen.  Been there, done that.

And Rugged has a decent point that around here, the more talented athletes are playing football or basketball or something, rather than rugby, so the quality of the rugby games I've played is probably quite diminished.

We could argue all day about which is better and which is tougher and never get anywhere, because none of us will ever change his or her mind.  I think the you hit it though, when you mentioned the number of hits per game.  I took a few rough hits every now and then playing rugby, but playing football, for most of the players, it's every play of every game, you're getting hit.  

Quarterbacks and wide receivers and cornerbacks are some of the exceptions, but all of the linemen, all of the linebackers and all of the runningbacks and the tight ends get hit every down, which is usually over 100 times per game, depending on the pace.  Without the padding, those guys would never survive the pounding they have to take.

Klytos

#21 Post by Klytos » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:28 pm

You're right though dude, no point arguing about it. They're both okay to watch, pretty different from each other. (ie. One has padding, the other doesn't...  :lol )

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

Hey!

#22 Post by FatherGhostface » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:44 pm

Yeah, yeah football! It's nice but hey! Giovanni! Nice to see my best friend has come to talk here! I think you all rememer Giovanni?   :\

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#23 Post by Erpy » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:54 pm

Ummm, what does your pal has to do with the current topic of this discussion? And why post in a thread that hasn't seen a reply in over a month to announce his arrival instead of using the random rants thread?

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

Oh!

#24 Post by FatherGhostface » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:57 pm

OOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooh? Oops.  :|

New England Patriots
Royal Servant Status

#25 Post by New England Patriots » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:46 am

Dude! omg....awsome! Kurt Warner Is Joining the Arizona Cardinals!
He was the all star QuarterBack in 2002 and has won 2 MVP awards...So hes joining the Cardinals....wow....good goind Kurt :)