The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

#1601 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:42 pm

Yea MI, Spikey is right, bushing released a new savegame hack shortly after 3.3 came out. I'm also running the latest Wii firmware (well not the one that was released today) and the TP hack with various emulators installed.

I couldnt believe ScummVM has Wiimote support so you actually use it as a mouse pointer. I wasnt expecting that! Feels soo natural though.

Broomie
The Enigma

#1602 Post by Broomie » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:03 am

I finally managed to install ScummVM on my DS and that plays really well. I recently upgraded to the iPhone 3G but I haven't jailbroken it yet therefore I can't try ScummVM on it but it played nicely on my old iPhone.

And I had no idea the Wii Pointer worked... I just thought it was a Gamecube port. That's good to know!

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#1603 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:18 am

Well that's good news! Now I just need Twilight Princess....

And yeah, the Wii-mote works. It originally only worked with a GC controller but they must have overcome that hurdle. Though, I heard that the version that uses the Wii-mote was leaked and not completely ready for public release. But I haven't tried it, so...

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1604 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:58 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Well that's good news! Now I just need Twilight Princess....

And yeah, the Wii-mote works. It originally only worked with a GC controller but they must have overcome that hurdle. Though, I heard that the version that uses the Wii-mote was leaked and not completely ready for public release. But I haven't tried it, so...
The newest version isnt leaked just the latest version of the unofficial ScummVM Wii build. Although it is technically the official version now as ScummVM has officially taken Wii support on and added ScummVM Wii to its SVN tree.

MusicallyInspired

#1605 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:37 pm

I've got my TP chain loader save file on my SD card and my Wii detects it. I'm all ready now. If only I could get access to a copy for just a short while. I wish I knew someone who had it. I don't even need to own it to get the Homebrew Channel up and running. Then I never have to use it again.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1606 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:37 pm

Yea you only need it once to install HomeBrewChannel.

I know in the UK Blockbuster doesnt rent Wii games don't know about rest of world?

MusicallyInspired

#1607 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:50 pm

The Blockbusters here do. I've seen it. Will have to nab it someday.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#1608 Post by Spikey » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:04 pm

Just get the Twilight Princess, it's a great game =).

BTW don't use GC memcards and the Homebrew Channel at the same time, the screen will freeze.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1609 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:22 pm

Yea TP is brilliant.

MusicallyInspired

#1610 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:00 pm

Of course it is. I'm a Zelda fanatic. I already have the GC version. I'll buy it someday I just can't afford it right now.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#1611 Post by Spikey » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:27 am

That sucks. Well, whenever you make the painful transaction when you do have the money, remember that you're buying a whole free world of emulating and homebrew! Or just convince one of your best friends to buy it ;).

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1612 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:04 am

Spikey wrote:Who needs games to look forward to on the Wii when you've got the Twilight Princess hack en a Snes9x channel?

I've just finished playing Hotel Dusk: Room 215 on the DS. It's not exactly what I'd call Gabriel Knight III, but still a decent adventure game for this age. Very much conversation and character depth present here, exactly what I've been missing all these years.

Anyone played it?
Hey Spikey, good to see you again! I'm abit late to this one but I figured I should plug Phoenix Wright here if you haven't already played it, It's very simmilar ro hotel dusk but with a more of a dark humor edge that raelly adds to the game. Also they don't need to be played sequentially.

In other News I recently sat down and had myself a Tim Shaeffer night. I sat down and beat every game he worked on up until Psychonauts. (although I couldn't get Grimm to work in Xp for some reason) I'm pretty hyped for Brutal Legend, whenever that comes out. I've decided out of all the games he's worked on Full throttle was my favorite, it was so easy to like the characters and the story that I feel it more than made up for the shortness and lack of puzzles.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1613 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:27 am

Ohh! Grim is one of my favourite games ever!!

MusicallyInspired

#1614 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:10 am

I don't see what everybody likes about Grim Fandango. I know it's not just a passing likeness either because whenever there are polls and such for best LucasArts adventure Grim Fandango always comes out on top. Just what in the world is so great about it? I played it and I wasn't that impressed. I didn't beat it or anything, though. I got a little far. Does it get more interesting later on or something? To tell the truth the whole atmosphere doesn't rub me the right way. All the Spanish/Mexican(?) accents and the style of music....it just didn't leave a good first impression I guess.

Broomie
The Enigma

#1615 Post by Broomie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:22 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:I don't see what everybody likes about Grim Fandango. I know it's not just a passing likeness either because whenever there are polls and such for best LucasArts adventure Grim Fandango always comes out on top. Just what in the world is so great about it? I played it and I wasn't that impressed. I didn't beat it or anything, though. I got a little far. Does it get more interesting later on or something? To tell the truth the whole atmosphere doesn't rub me the right way. All the Spanish/Mexican(?) accents and the style of music....it just didn't leave a good first impression I guess.
Wow. I felt the exact opposite when I first played it. I loved the whole Mexican folklore atmosphere and style. The whole noir setting was excellent and every character was so well developed, the story was great and the cut scenes were the best thing about it. Grim Fandango is one of my favorite games ever, if not my favorite adventure game which so happens to be a Lucasarts game rather than a Sierra game but it was truly was a fantastic experience playing through Grim Fandango the very first time. That's why I'm never surprised when I see it on most top 100 games lists because it really is that good of a game. Anything Tim Schafer does is usually awesome (Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Psychonauts) and Grim Fandango is probably one of his greatest achievements, even though it bombed in stores.

Strange you say that though, I thought with your love for music that GF would have been a favorite of yours due to the music and atmosphere of the game. The whole jazz/noir soundtrack just adds to the classiness and style of the game.

MusicallyInspired

#1616 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:37 am

Yes, the soundtrack is classy and fits the game well but for some reason it just didn't grab me as much as other soundtracks. It's been quite awhile since I've played it, though. I should whip it out again sometime. I just stopped playing it because I got bored. Too bad it's not (and probably won't be) supported by ScummVM. That and MI4.

Broomie
The Enigma

#1617 Post by Broomie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:48 am

I hate to say it but I didn't actually like Monkey Island 4. Towards the end it was becoming apparent Lucasarts were getting bored of the adventure style and started to incorporate arcade-like elements into the game. The whole Monkey Kombat scene at the end was dreadful... infact I still don't get it.

Apart from that though, it was very funny but could have been so much more.

MusicallyInspired

#1618 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:00 pm

I played the beginning of MI4 but that's it. I haven't even finished MI3 yet. Actually I haven't finished MI2 on hard mode yet.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#1619 Post by Spikey » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:40 pm

Confession. There's not many LA games I really liked. Sounds like blasphemy to most adventure gamers, I guess.

I liked Maniac Mansion. I remember the sounds the diskette reader made while trying to access my copied version.
I liked Maniac Mansion II, sure my favourite characters were gone (Syd, Razor, Wendy & Jeff), but I never played anything with such graphics before.

The only other LA game I've ever really liked was Monkey Island II. I don't know why, that one struck a chord none of the others did.

MusicallyInspired

#1620 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:44 pm

I love LA adventures. I still have to beat some of the early ones (Indy 3, Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken), but the newer ones I have beaten most of and loved every moment of them. Monkey Island 1, Monkey Island 2 (easy mode), Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Sam & Max (FAVOURITE!), The Dig, and Indy 4. There are probably more I can't remember...all were excellent games.

Nothing comes close to Space Quest, though. That's still the adventure game king series in my book.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#1621 Post by Gronagor » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:58 pm

I never really liked the idea of MI3 (from screenshots I saw etc), but when I experienced the whole thing in motion (after some friends here convinced me), I couldn't get enough! Really worth finishing!

Full Throttle should be put on a pedestal somewhere as a true masterpiece. Although very short, I couldn't get enough of it. (And I'm definitely not a bike-fan)

Grim, Sam'n'Max and Day of the Tentacle was OK, but really didn't leave that much of an impression.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#1622 Post by Kloreep » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:14 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:I don't see what everybody likes about Grim Fandango. I know it's not just a passing likeness either because whenever there are polls and such for best LucasArts adventure Grim Fandango always comes out on top. Just what in the world is so great about it? I played it and I wasn't that impressed. I didn't beat it or anything, though. I got a little far. Does it get more interesting later on or something? To tell the truth the whole atmosphere doesn't rub me the right way. All the Spanish/Mexican(?) accents and the style of music....it just didn't leave a good first impression I guess.
Personally, I think it does get better later on. The first half of the game consists almost entirely of either filler or set-up. The second half does a lot more with the story. That said, I personally thought Grim had a great start until it trips and hits its head and decides to do a bunch of nonsensical quests in a forest that has almost nothing to do with the plot. Still, get over that hump and it gets better once again.

I was hooked by the game well before I entered the forest though. If you didn't get that feeling of being hooked from the first part of the game, the rest of the game may not do much for you either. I dunno. I just really like the humor. Stuff like the scene between Manny & Bruno ("But here! Have this complimentary mug!") makes me LMAO. But I acknowledge that my liking of a skeleton-populated afterlife as a setting may not be in line with most people's tastes.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#1623 Post by Spikey » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:20 pm

So I guess I need to try games like "Sam & Max Hit the Road CD" and "Loom CD" again on my DS...LucasArts may have something for me after all these years. That is, if I can ever find the CD versions of those games.

MusicallyInspired

#1624 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:39 pm

If you have the EGA version of Loom already there exists a free patch on the internet somewhere to upgrade your copy of Loom EGA to the CD VGA version. Complete with CD audio track for speech and music. Also completely legal.
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1625 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:47 pm

The LA classics are just as good as the Sierra classics.

Any adventure game fan has to play DoTT, Sam n Max, Full Throttle, The Dig, Grim Fandango etc ;)