Future remake? (archived)

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

AZFISHKING
Peasant Status

Kings Quest...

#176 Post by AZFISHKING » Sun Oct 20, 2002 2:21 pm

I chose Colonel´s Bequest for many reasons. My fav game is Police Quest II, but I figured you wouldn't do that because of the other group doing it. Then it was a toss-up between King's Quest III and Colonel´s Bequest. I choose Colonel´s Bequest because I don't think Tierra should make so many King's Quest games that they wont be able to make any other games (it happens).

Azza
Peasant Status

Remake

#177 Post by Azza » Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:18 am

For me the pre-eminent choice for a remake after the King's Quest series is done would be Police Quest 2. I always thought Police Quest was a very underrated series, having to cope with the magnificent and majestic worlds of king's quest and the hilarity of Space Quest (which I would have no problems with if it were remade either). However, in my mind nothing matched Police Quest for down to earth tension and realism. That was it's true strength.

altair401z
Peasant Status

manhunter

#178 Post by altair401z » Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:03 pm

how about manhunter! Thats was a game thats easily forgotten these days. But it really was a great game. I think it was ahead of its time.

altair401z
Peasant Status

kq3

#179 Post by altair401z » Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:22 pm

....BUT I must agree with the others on this forum. King's Quest 3 was my FIRST adventure game EVER! I really think I would find myself welling up with tears if I were to someday have the opertunity to play it again. It remains to this day, one of the few games I have completed on my own without the help of walkthroughs and cheatcodes. [OR the infamous Sierra hint hotline phone number [!]...remember that? ] <----My parents were pulling their hair out at one point because I was calling that line soooo much--I forget which game i was playing though.

So KQ3 all the way!

Milan Easton
Ruler of the Castle

Re: kq3

#180 Post by Milan Easton » Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:28 pm

I hear ya! KQ3 is one of my favorite games of all time...if not THE favorite. It was also the first game I played..I still remember walking in and seeing my sister and dad completely absorbed in it, trying to figure out how to complete it. It's funny, now that I think of it, that they never thought of involving me in this game playing experience...but strangely, I didn't even question what an adventure game was...I just joined in! Immediately, I was hooked...and since then, I'd looked forward to every Sierra release, insisting that we buy it the day it came out! Sometimes, I'd show up a year early, asking, "is QFG (insert sequal # here) out yet??" After the 364th time, they'd be (as well as my mom, who would take me to the store) ready to shoot me...

Look at me now...an anonymous game developer, remaking the classics. Who would have ever known :)

As for the hint line, oh yes, I remember those days! I don't even know if I needed the hints..I just found it incredibly cool that people were there, all the time, able to answer questions about any game you had a question about! I would try to come up with really difficult questions to stump the workers, but sure enough, within seconds, they ALWAYS had an answer. How did they do that?! Hehe, I think Tierra should set up a hint line...I'd like to see if I could answer that many questions about our games... I highly doubt it. Oh well, I'd just make AGD2 sit on the phone, three way, ready to give me backup...

Anonymous Game Developer #1

The Knight
King of Men

I think it is decided.......................................

#181 Post by The Knight » Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:52 am

I think you should remake KQ3, then maybe do a series you haven't done yet(maybe police quest?).
But you must do KQ3, read my words:
YOU WILL MAKE KQ3!
YOU WILL MAKE KQ3!
YOU WILL MAKE KQ3!
YOU WILL MAKE KQ3!
YOU WILL MAKE KQ3!
YOU WILL GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONEY!
OOPS!

FullJee
Peasant Status

Non-sierra remake...

#182 Post by FullJee » Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:23 pm

Have you ever think about remaking Indiana Jones and The last Crusade ? I know that it had already being remaked in VGA but for this one, it still need a little add-on for the story who has been cut at some (a lot) of place. There is too many missing part in the game compared to the movie, like the begining, all the Venise missing parts, all the parts between the escape from Germany to the temple part. I was really sad when I saw how the story of the game have been modified and even cut after you quit the Germany. On the other side, this game would be a real challenge to remake with all the possible action to do in this game ("Oh man ! I can punch Hitler" ), all the little arcade sequences (some a little bit too tough) and with the Indy Adventure Games principles you would need to create differents ways through the puzzles (wits way, fists way and near the end, team ways to pass the puzzles). And after having a little (surely really big) add-on to King's Quest 2, it would be cool that you use these new gained skills to remake the story of this game. It will also show that you don't only plan to remake Sierra's games or only medieval/fantasy games.

Wolfgang Abenteuer

Re: Non-sierra remake...

#183 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Wed Nov 13, 2002 10:40 am

Well...I DO know that LucasArts is MUCH less tolerant of fan projects than Sierra is. From what I understand, they have already shut down some fan remakes/spinoffs of their adventure games as they are much more willing to protect their copyrights than Sierra is. I mean, King's Quest is just a game, but Indiana Jones is a virtual franchise.

That's likely the main reason I would imagine.

Edit: spelling

~Wolfgang

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#184 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:19 pm

Still, the Fate of Antlantis 2 Fan Project has been around since 1998, and Lucasarts haven't stepped in on that one yet.

GreenDragon

#185 Post by GreenDragon » Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:20 pm

I'll be intrested to see how arcade sequences can be done with AGS. Q4G 4 1/2 managed some combat, but not as well as the origional did.

FullJee
Peasant Status

#186 Post by FullJee » Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:59 pm

Yeah, Indy and the Last Crusade was filled of arcade sequence, I finded it great, you were able to play it again and again and again choosing the path you wanted, I liked it. It would be also a real challenge to re-program all those mini arcade sequence and the skill gained during this project could help for the future project.

For the thing that LucasArts sometime stop the project if it is based on their franchise, it would be wise to first ask to LucasArts if they agree with this instead of being annoyed by them all the rest of the time 'cause you will be on their black list or something like that. On the other side, if this remake is accepted, it would need to contain ad like buy the original game, rent the movie or that they win something with this project... or something like that to avoid getting the wrath of LucasArts. But I don't see what would annoy them if you don't add anything except what they don't put in the game that was in the movie :\

El Ravager
Knight Status

#187 Post by El Ravager » Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:56 am

I'm surprised the FoA2 project has managed to last this long...
~El Ravager~

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#188 Post by Erpy » Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:57 am

Many fangames Lucasarts shut down were not exactly near the quality of KQ1VGA. IF a company is going to look the other way, they'll at least want their copyrights represented the right way...And besides Lucasarts is still selling their old adventures, while Sierra is not.

mpmoss
Peasant Status

#189 Post by mpmoss » Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:06 am

Now there's a tribute to how good Tierra's doing! :)
Hope QFG2 gets the same accolades.

Captain Omega
Peasant Status

Fate of Atlantis 2?

#190 Post by Captain Omega » Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:12 pm

Atlantis is destroyed so how can there be a sequel?!?!?!? You might as well have Titanic 2 and see Leo die all over again. What tragedy :p !

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Fate of Atlantis 2?

#191 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:30 pm

The only problem there is that drowning is supposed to be a peaceful way to die.

If Leo's character dies, then it should be in the most humiliating way possible! People would pay big money to see that! For example, imagine Leo falling off the ship while he was in the middle of saying "I'm king of the wor-or-oh-oh-oooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh..." SPLASSSSSH!

In the words of Butthead "cool!" :)

Qwertius
Peasant Status

#192 Post by Qwertius » Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:34 pm

Please no Kq3

The KQ fans have already 2 games. please make something ...anything else.

don't get me wrong I love the new KQ work you did, but I think another project should be in another of the great Quest series.

Best candidates:

Laura Bow 1

Larry 2

Pq2

Codename Iceman

'If you want to shoot, shoot! Don't talk.'
Tuco against random thug

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#193 Post by Erpy » Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:48 pm

There's already someone else working on a PQ2-remake. I just believe they don't have a website yet.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#194 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Nov 23, 2002 11:21 pm

well after just completing Conquests of Camelot recently, i think that great amazing awesome game should be remade. the graphics really dissapointed me so a vga remake would be exceptional!

but whatever you guys got planned...thats kool too. :)

"Requires MCGA, CGA, VGA, PGA, or TA-RA-RA-BOOMGA!!" -Gary Owens, SQ4

guest adventurer
Peasant Status

colonels be vgaquest

#195 Post by guest adventurer » Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:26 am

yes laura bow 1 was an excellent game with great plot and characters had depth.
The scripting is much more complex than a typical king's quest game though.And the dialogues are big.
The good point is that the plot dialogues and puzzles do not need enhancement :)
Now if the graphics were updated, then the player would feel like he/she was really in dijon's house :)

Zeus
Knight Status

#196 Post by Zeus » Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:37 pm

as i read the topics again it was funny to see that it was like
we were ordering for the next advents to be remade . .
one guy for kq3, me for laura, the other guy for camelot . . .we are selfish! :)

(guest adventurer)

deltamatrix
Knight Status

Colonels Bequest

#197 Post by deltamatrix » Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:54 am

I have played that trillions of times on the ST and I never got the Super Sleuth. I am one point off. Somethin to look at wit the monocle. Geez, the walkthrouh says to look at a dusty bootprint but it don't work. I'd like to see it remade, i guess it would be cool

gabbahey1
Peasant Status

Re: Future remake?

#198 Post by gabbahey1 » Wed Nov 27, 2002 7:10 pm

So here's what I'm thinking:

Although you may be right when you say that it would take a huge number of copies to be able to sell a title through retail stores, have you guys ever entertained the idea that if and when you do create an original title (don't get me wrong here, I'm still gnawing my left foot off waiting for king's quest III), that you sell it through the internet to your fans?

I mean, you may not sell 2 million copies (or maybe you would), but at least you would get something for it (better than nothing in my mind), and it would allow fans like me to show a little more appreciation than just, "hey, thanks man!"

Thanks!
-Gab

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: Future remake?

#199 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Nov 29, 2002 8:03 am

hey you know what would be kool and different. make a (kind of) remake of Camelot but base it on the Monty Python movie! :D

i dont know how theyd deal with copyrights with that or anything, but it would be funney!
"Requires MCGA, CGA, VGA, PGA, or TA-RA-RA-BOOMGA!!" -Gary Owens, SQ4

Relight
Archival Expert

Re: IMHO...

#200 Post by Relight » Fri Nov 29, 2002 8:57 am

Hm, I was surprised to find I never actually voted in this thread. Heh. I little late now I suppose. But I'd definitely vote for Black Cauldron. And then you can make KQ3 after haha. BC shouldn't take you too long, right? ;)