Progress Update Thread (formerly known as quest for glory 2)

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

khoodandco
Peasant Status

#201 Post by khoodandco » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:15 pm

Erpy wrote:Some stuff is easy to fix like: "put a comma after this word and put a period outside the quotes".
Just in case it will help, proper English punctuation puts the period inside the quotes at all times, no matter how the quote is being used.

Periods and commas ALWAYS go within quotes, NEVER outside.

Exclamation points and question marks go inside the quote ONLY if they are part of the original quote.

I.E.
Erpy asked, "Was that fun?"
or
Why did MacGyver say, "I like bicycles"?

I hope this has been educational, informative, and fun!

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#202 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:36 pm

Uh oh, somebody is giving Erpy english lessons. The world is coming to an end!

Seriously, isn't it ok to have the period outside the quotes if the quote doesn't end in a punctuation?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#203 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:50 pm

The problem is that many grammar and punctuation rules differ widely between British English and American English; even Googling for clarification on these rules will turn up lengthy debates between people on both sides of the fence, arguing that their preferred way is right and why they believe so.

In a game like QFG2 EGA, many of these conventions have been broken. A lot of the rules follow US English, while others adhere to British English. For example, some words have been spelled in British English instead of American English (ie. colour instead of color), despite it being an American-made game.  Also, sometimes the mistakes are obvious in both British and US English. For example, common nouns have often been incorrectly capitalized in the EGA version.

Trying to standardize all of this is a pain, but I'm sure that if these things went unnoticed by a large majority of players in the original version, then they're not going to worry too much if a few of these conventions aren't strictly adhered to in the remake either.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#204 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:04 pm

It doesn't matter, because most people don't speak English gooder than you anyhow.

I say, make, up! your; own rulez.

BeeTea

smvp6459
Peasant Status

#205 Post by smvp6459 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:43 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:The problem is that many grammar and punctuation rules differ widely between British English and American English; even Googling for clarification on these rules will turn up lengthy debates between people on both sides of the fence, arguing that their preferred way is right and why they believe so.
Feel free to do what you want, but normally in publishing you use a style guide to make most of these decisions for you.  It provides you with consistency and a good reference to turn to.  The Chicago Manual of Style is an American English guide used in U.S. publishing.  Other guides exist for other areas (like journalism).

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Rules of punctuation

#206 Post by Brainiac » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:48 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Seriously, isn't it ok to have the period outside the quotes if the quote doesn't end in a punctuation?
I remember this from my English classes in high school.

Commas and periods MUST be within quotation marks.

Colons and semicolons MUST NOT be within quotation marks.

Question marks and exclamation points can do whatever they like (ie, if the quote itself has the punctuation, it stays within).

techie775
Knight Status

#207 Post by techie775 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:45 pm

For example, some words have been spelled in British English instead of American English (ie. colour instead of color)

I'd be more worried about a game having spelling errors plain out wrong rather than worrying what the word Flavour is. It's not that hard to figure it out. Usually the spellings are close enough that you know what they mean.

Prio
Knight Status

Re: Rules of punctuation

#208 Post by Prio » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:10 pm

Brainiac wrote:I remember this from my English classes in high school.

Commas and periods MUST be within quotation marks.

Colons and semicolons MUST NOT be within quotation marks.

Question marks and exclamation points can do whatever they like (ie, if the quote itself has the punctuation, it stays within).
Those are the American rules.  The American rules for that are silly.

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#209 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:34 am

Guys i am not a admin but it seems this is turning into more of a grammar debate then a updates thread, Erpy has fine grammar and each nation has different rules! case closed! I recommend if you must continue this debate that Erpy split the debate portion of the topic and place it in the off topic forum under a new heading

adeyke

#210 Post by adeyke » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:56 am

AsianMusicGuy wrote:Guys i am not a admin
Indeed, you're not.

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#211 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:47 am

I do have a point however

khoodandco
Peasant Status

#212 Post by khoodandco » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:45 am

Wow, I didn't know that my post would cause so much chaos! Hurray for chaos!

If it works for the Brits, it works for me. Just so long as it is standardized and follows someone's rules I'm cool with it. (Not that I wouldn't play the game if it had bad grammar or punctuation, but it would be obnoxious.)

I hope my non-U.S.-English-speaking friends were not offended by my comment.

(Erana's) Peace be with you all.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#213 Post by Gronagor » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:48 am

khoodandco wrote:If it works for the Brits, it works for me. Just so long as it is standardized and follows someone's rules I'm cool with it. (Not that I wouldn't play the game if it had bad grammar or punctuation, but it would be obnoxious.)

I hope my non-U.S.-English-speaking friends were not offended by my comment.

(Erana's) Peace be with you all.
That's the thing. The entire world base their rules on Brit English and not US. Perhaps it is time for the US to adapt to the rest of the world?!?!

Besides... isn't US-english based on the assumption that rules for a language is a waste of time? In other words, the US threw rules out the door? In that case it doesn't really matter to US-players....

Muadeeb
Royal Servant Status

#214 Post by Muadeeb » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:19 pm

Gronagor wrote:Perhaps it is time for the US to adapt to the rest of the world?!?!
<stomps foot>
NO! IT ISN'T!!!!

CAN'T MAKE ME! CAN'T MAKE ME! CAN'T MAKE ME! CAN'T MAKE ME! CAN'T MAKE ME! CAN'T MAKE ME! CAN'T MAKE ME! CAN'T MAKE ME! CAN'T MAKE ME! CAN'T MAKE ME! CAN'T MAKE ME! CAN'T MAKE ME! CAN'T MAKE ME!
<storms off like a 5 year old>

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#215 Post by GuJiaXian » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:39 pm

Gronagor wrote:Besides... isn't US-english based on the assumption that rules for a language is a waste of time? In other words, the US threw rules out the door? In that case it doesn't really matter to US-players....
As a professional editor, I can (and do) assure you that there are many, many rules for U.S. English and grammar. If it would help "standardize" the VGA remake of the game, I'm willing to go over the dialog and such and give it the ol' editing treatment. I don't have the time to fully beta-test the game (which is why I didn't sign up), but I could make time to polish the copy.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#216 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:27 pm

AsianMusicGuy wrote:I do have a point however
On the top of your head!

I mean, how dare there be ACTUAL conversation on the forums!  I like it better when people don't post around here.  It's ever so much nicer!

Like someone else said, there are small variants between American English and British English - but I'm less worried about "colour" vs. "color" than I am mis-use of "your" and "you're" or "too", "to", and "two".

Bt

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#217 Post by Erpy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:02 am

I haven't noticed any cases of the mangled grammar like too/two/to or definitely spelled wrong. What's mostly in need of checking is stuff like the " and ' being used interchangedly and adding comma's or semicolons where appropriate.

We do intend to let someone run a quick spelling/grammar check on a text dump eventually, but probably not until the last moment when we know there's not gonna be any more text added to the game.

Lambonius
Knight Status

#218 Post by Lambonius » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:32 pm

Erpy wrote: We do intend to let someone run a quick spelling/grammar check on a text dump eventually, but probably not until the last moment when we know there's not gonna be any more text added to the game.
That sounds like a good idea, and for the grammar-hounds, would probably also serve the purpose of standardizing the grammar one way or the other, depending on which program was used to spell check.

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#219 Post by GuJiaXian » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:36 pm

Again, Erpy, when the time comes, I'd like to offer my services. Just let me know if you're interested when the time comes.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#220 Post by Gronagor » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:37 pm

Heh. Lambonius, just watched Temple of Doom last night.
For the first time that specific scene was funny for me, all because of your sig. :)

Oh. Sorry. Completely off the point.

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#221 Post by jpnuar1 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:46 pm

Gronagor wrote:Heh. Lambonius, just watched Temple of Doom last night.
For the first time that specific scene was funny for me, all because of your sig. :)

Oh. Sorry. Completely off the point.
Truly, he does have a great sig.

Now if only I could figure out what on earth his avatar is supposed to be...

MusicallyInspired

#222 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:14 pm

You mean "avatar". He doesn't have a sig. :)

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#223 Post by Gronagor » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:33 am

Ok. Yeah. You're right. Stupid slip of the tongue...

Sorry for giving you hours of head-scratching trying to figure out what I meant. It must have been awful.

RoBBiE
Peasant Status

#224 Post by RoBBiE » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:12 pm

Hi, I'm just checking in to see how well QFG2VGA is doing... Still on the job, guys? How's the progress?

All the best wishes,

Rob

MusicallyInspired

#225 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:24 pm

It's in beta, 'nuff said.