Linux?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#26 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:14 pm

So hows it going with Linux MI? I rarely have time to boot into Linux on my PC and mess around with it, but I've recently installed Yellow Dog Linux on my PS3 which is based off of Fedora Core 5.

It's pretty cool having a PC on your 42" HDTV lol! ScummVm rocks!!

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#27 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:44 pm

I ended up having a Debian/WinXP dual boot. I started out using Linux more than Windows until I put in another video card and started using dual monitors. Linux didn't take too well to this and screwed the whole system up (the boot up process was shown on the first monitor and the command console was shown on the second monitor and the X server was shown on the first monitor. A real mess and I couldn't fix it). So I was forced to use WinXP. I found myself not using Linux anymore at all and just removed it. I'll probably install it again down the road when I have time to figure out how to get both video cards working right.

Got any pictures of ScummVM on the HDTV? I'd love to see them!

Alliance
Knight Status

#28 Post by Alliance » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:56 am

I'd highly suggest Ubuntu, it's a terrific OS.
And hey, you can run AGS, Sierra, and ScummVM games on it! Sweet!

JWar
Knight Status

#29 Post by JWar » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:45 am

If I were you, I'd go for Darwin..

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#30 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:19 pm

I'll get some pics done MI.

There's no way to play the SCI games like SQ6 etc on Linux is there?

I'll probably install Win 2000 in VMWare under Linux and do it that way.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#31 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:00 pm

It doesn't matter which Linux distribution I use it's still going to be the same problem. I wanted to use Debian because it's command line based and you can install your own desktop environment of your choice. Unlike distributions like Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Linspire/etc which all are catered to people who don't know a thing about Linux. If I'm going to learn Linux I don't want it to act like Windows for me.

And no there's no way to play SQ6 or other SCI32 games on Linux yet. FreeSCI will only play SCI0 games and it's unstable branch "glutton" will play some SCI1 games but no SCI32 yet.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#32 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:17 pm

Ahh, I thought so MI.

I'll have to try Win 3.1 etc and see if they run under VMWare on Yellow Dog.

Defiant1
Peasant Status

#33 Post by Defiant1 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:25 pm

My opinion, it's just an OS.  I recently installed SUSE on a seperate partition, and my experience with it is that there are a lot of ways to not get it to work the way you want.  Kind of an intimidating curve, but, it'd doable.  I, too, had trouble with multiple sound cards, and ended up just disabling all but one.  If anybody knows how to make that work better, let me know.  

Anyway, there is a freeware NTFS resize program already integrated into Knoppix, so you don't have to download anything.  I don't remember what it's called, but, it's what I used.  I found a version of GRUB that allows me to have my boot.ini file point directly to it, so I didn't have to mess up the MBR.  It works, along with Windows 98.  It was surprisingly easy to do.  If you want that version of GRUB, I can look for it or send it to you somehow.  Plus, I had to modify it a bit to get it to work.  It might not even matter to you to not mess up the MBR.  

Good luck, and have fun.  I still use XP as primary OS, but, like you, I like to learn for the sake of learning.

moonlit
Royal Servant Status

#34 Post by moonlit » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:49 am

Hi,

I am not sure about sq6 but a lot of games run in either dosbox or using wine. I believe you have to map a linux directory as a windows drive in the configuration and then do something wine <program>. I was suprised I could run some of my own programs written for win32 with wine with almost no problems (a small problem was that htmlhelp isn't there so that can't be run). Also at the time I tried I don't believe there was anything like a registry (so if it relied on things there it wouldn't work).

Regards, Ron AF Greve