yay, qfg anthology cd's finnaly arrived

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

tok
Peasant Status

#26 Post by tok » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:18 pm

Ouch, can you be more specific? Im out wandering in the desert towards jungle, went there with the liontaur guy..

tok
Peasant Status

#27 Post by tok » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:30 pm

qfg3 spoiler

ok, im stuck.. Need spoiler help.
I got stuck, so i read a walkthrough, seems like next thign to happend is that a prisoner shall be at the village, what do i need to do before that happend? i just talked to the wounded survivor.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

QfG3 and QfG4

#28 Post by Brainiac » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:30 am

tok wrote:qfg3 spoiler

ok, im stuck.. Need spoiler help.
I got stuck, so i read a walkthrough, seems like next thign to happend is that a prisoner shall be at the village, what do i need to do before that happend? i just talked to the wounded survivor.
The arrival of the prisoner is determined by different events depending on your character class.  If you're a Fighter/Paladin, you need to be challenged to a spear-throwing match by Uhura.  Wizards must have gained a Magic Staff.  Thieves need to travel to the waterfall map of the jungle.
jpnuar1 wrote:For QFG4, just make sure you sleep in the inn for the first few weeks, otherwise you'll miss an event needed to complete the game. It's a large part of the reason why I have yet to finish game 4.
Not the first few weeks, just the first few days.  Actually, I don't think you need to sleep there, you just need to enter the main floor of Hotel Mordavia after midnight (right after "You are getting tired." appears).  You have to do this before Day 6 for it to work (I believe "Day" 5 is the last valid night).  Once you've done that, you can go to sleep wherever you wish.

tok
Peasant Status

#29 Post by tok » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:41 am

thanks alot, but how do i get her to challenge  me?

greensenshi
Knight Status

#30 Post by greensenshi » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:59 pm

You have to keep practicing your throwing until she shows up to challenge you.

tok
Peasant Status

#31 Post by tok » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:32 pm

Do i just haveto stand there, or how does it work?

She has allready gone up and given pointers, but i dont think that she challenged me.. Might i have missed it?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#32 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:29 pm

your throwing skill is not yet high enough to initiate the contest. You have to either go into the desert and throw rocks for an hour or go to the spear throwing map and pick up the spears there to hit the target. When the skill is high enough for the contest she will challenge you when you click the hand on the spears. However if it is midnight it wont' happen

tok
Peasant Status

#33 Post by tok » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:59 pm

How do i strike and such in qfg4 fights?
And is there a way to not use the speaking voice, but still having the texts around for more then a second or two?

Another annoying thing is that when the speaker begins to speak, it takes a secondortwo for the cd to start spinning..

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#34 Post by Erpy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:39 pm

In order to play with text only, uncheck the "audio"-checkbox in the options menu of the game. If you don't, the textboxes will disappear when the voice sample stops playing. (which is almost instantly without the CD)

If you want to play the game with voices but without having to use the CD, copy the file resource.aud into the QFG4 folder. It's a biggie though.

Combat in QFG4 can be tricky at first. I personally always use the keyboard shortcuts:

Walk back: left arrow
Walk forward: right arrow
Duck: hold down arrow and press/hold left or right arrow
Jump: press up arrow
Slash: hold left shift and press right arrow
Jumping slash: hold left shift and press up arrow

Fighter/Paladin:
Block low: hold down arrow and press/hold left shift
Block high: hold left arrow and press/hold left shift

Wizard:
Zap: Z
Flame Dart: X (hold down for a charged spell)
Force Bolt: C (hold down for a charged spell)
Lightning Ball: V (hold down for a charged spell)
Frost Bite: B (hold down for a charged spell)

Thief:
Dagger toss: Right-click on the grey bar that has the buttons/meters on it. (you must have additional daggers)
Acrobatic dive: Click the cursor on the hero (he'll duck), hold down the mouse button, put the mouse cursor over the monster and release the mouse button.

I don't know the exact mouse-shortcuts because I prefer to fight with a keyboard.

tok
Peasant Status

#35 Post by tok » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:08 am

thanks. I don't get the keybord strike keys to work, but i can strike with the mouse.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#36 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:56 pm

Erpsila wrote:In order to play with text only, uncheck the "audio"-checkbox in the options menu of the game. If you don't, the textboxes will disappear when the voice sample stops playing. (which is almost instantly without the CD)

If you want to play the game with voices but without having to use the CD, copy the file resource.aud into the QFG4 folder. It's a biggie though.
I could never get that to work.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#37 Post by Erpy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:53 pm

What not to work? Disabling audio in the options panel in order to avoid the textboxes from zooming by or coping the resource.aud into the folder on the hard drive and play it without CD? If you do the latter, you shouldn't start the game with the batch-file, but use the main exe instead. And you might want to check out the resource.cfg to see if the game is set to look in its own folder for the aud-file.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#38 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:28 am

I think it was that last little bit that got me but I haven't played it in ages.

tok
Peasant Status

#39 Post by tok » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:00 pm

How do you get money in qfg4, i can't find any enemies that gives loot.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#40 Post by Erpy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:09 pm

There's a couple of places where you can get money.

1. You get some money from some of the skeletons in the cave where you start the game.

2. Near the town gate is a forgotten stash of money. Investigate the area carefully.

3. Erana's Garden has a hidden gift for the observant visitor.

4. If you're a thief, you can steal some money too.

5. Revenants (the zombies who come out of the ground at night) carry some spare change.

6. Chernovy wizards carry money (they haunt the forest at night), but they're pretty vicious fighters.

7. There are several places in the forest where you can see a mount of rocks that wasn't there by day. If you can defeat the wraith that guards it, it'll usually have money too. Don't try this before having spoken to the gypsies, because wraiths are nasty.

That said, you don't need money all that badly in this game. The shopkeeper's items aren't that expensive, you don't need a lot of rations and you can't really buy anything else.

avoozl snot
Royal Servant Status

#41 Post by avoozl snot » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:02 am

I'd like to point out that the spear-throwing challenge is an excellent reason why the cheat to edit your stats in QG2 can yield unintended and unwanted results.

If your character already has a lot of throwing skill to begin with, Uhura will almost immediately challenge him, and the prisoner will appear before you get the chance to befriend Yesufu (although this will not affect the end of the game). Obviously, this means missing out on points and a big chunk of story/dialogue, which many fans find to be the strongest point of this game.

The only way to avoid this is to totally avoid the spear throwing area until you've explored the land and feel ready for the prisoner, since the game will move very rapidly afterwards.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#42 Post by Erpy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:14 am

Isn't it so that for the fighter and paladin, Uhura needs to challenge you both in the spear area and on the bridge?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#43 Post by Gronagor » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:04 am

Yeah. That could be it. Hmmm... I completely forgot about the bridge! I kinda liked that 'mini-game'.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#44 Post by Boogeyman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:03 am

Why? Because you can see Uhura's breasts while on the bridge?

tok
Peasant Status

having a really hard time fighting

#45 Post by tok » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:16 pm

qg4

having a really hard time fighting, its very hard to avoid the ghosts and flying snakes ranged attacks. Block doesn't work, i just gets pushed back and its very hard jumping up in time.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#46 Post by greensenshi » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:22 pm

Adds a bit of difficulty, doesn't it?  :D  

Keep moving forward.  As long as your health is in good shape, I've found that they're easily beatable.

tok
Peasant Status

#47 Post by tok » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:55 pm

They fire so fast, that simply walking forward is pretty much impossible, but i guess i need to be more skilled..

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#48 Post by Gronagor » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:48 pm

Boogeyman wrote:Why? Because you can see Uhura's breasts while on the bridge?
Well... somebody here remembers the bridge very well.  :lol

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#49 Post by Boogeyman » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:27 am

Actually, I've never been on the bridge (I'm a Wizard, remember?), but I have seen Uhura's sprites in SCI Viewer.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#50 Post by greensenshi » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:13 pm

tok wrote:They fire so fast, that simply walking forward is pretty much impossible, but i guess i need to be more skilled..
Erm... relating to an earlier portion of this thread, are you running the game in DosBox?  QFG4 was DEFINITELY not made for XP, and once again, are you running New Rising Sun's patches?  They fix timer issues like that.