Fanmade game-projects that never be completed

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

bartonjo2
Knight Status

#26 Post by bartonjo2 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:08 am

See guys at least Rog apprecaites me :rollin

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#27 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:50 am

AGDI better NOT GIVE UP

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#28 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:56 am

The Hero wrote:AGDI better NOT GIVE UP
I don't think they will, man. It'll be out soon!

Bt

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#29 Post by JLM5 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:47 pm

Erpy wrote:- Overambition: People want to create "the next big thing" and underestimate the amount of work even a small game takes. Once reality starts setting in, the project is quickly abandoned.

- Declining interest among teammembers: Starting a project is the fun part...you get to brainstorm for ideas and everybody is estatic to see the first 0.5% of the game come alive. Everybody's motivated the first month or so. Eventually, boredom will start setting in. Keeping up the work on the game in a constant fashion takes dicipline. More than most people have. Certain tasks are very monotonous, yet must be done in order for the game to proceed. When one member loses interest, a replacement often needs to be found and the lack of progress that comes with the departure (or absence) of members quickly tends to spread to other members.
That's true. I'm just wondering, why the people then must advertise their projects even though they are perhaps completed as much as one background and few sprites at the time?? If someone is such an unsure if his project will ever be completed, there is no reason to advertise it so much as someones do.

Actually there are a lot of projects that have been announced a long time ago, but are still totally half-finished. When I read the homepages of Hero6 (for example) for first time, I got very interested because the game looked good and professionally done. Now, after 2 years I still suspect if we will see the game even during 2005. However, I'm still sure that it will be worth of waiting. :)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#30 Post by Erpy » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:00 pm

That's true. I'm just wondering, why the people then must advertise their projects even though they are perhaps completed as much as one background and few sprites at the time?? If someone is such an unsure if his project will ever be completed, there is no reason to advertise it so much as someones do.
Basically because they want the attention. There's really no less blunt way to say it. :p

Zeus
Knight Status

#31 Post by Zeus » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:30 pm

AND respect. They NEED to have someone to respect them.
(It gives them more self confidence. ;) )
And why is that? Maybe most of them feel that they do not do anything important in their lives.

bartonjo2
Knight Status

#32 Post by bartonjo2 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:35 am

Personally I think its a good thing that they advertise themselves because they then have at least a few fans or people who are escited for their game and they then have to try and make those people happy. DO ya get what I mean I'm having a hard time explaining.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#33 Post by Klytos » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:40 am

Bit harsh there Erpy. I would think that most annoucements are made by people who are really excited about making a new game they've thought of, and want to share that with the world. It's like a first kiss, you want to share it with everyone.

Vipt
Royal Servant Status

#34 Post by Vipt » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:02 am

Err.... I never wanted to share my first kiss with everyone. Just sharing the kiss with the girl was fine by me. Besides, think of all the germs! :lol

Just joking, of course! I know what you were trying to say, Klitos.

Zeus
Knight Status

#35 Post by Zeus » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:16 pm

bartonjo2 wrote:Personally I think its a good thing that they advertise themselves because they then have at least a few fans or people who are escited for their game and they then have to try and make those people happy. DO ya get what I mean I'm having a hard time explaining.
no need to explain such things....
i agree that there can be some people who are quite 'romantic' and 'altreuists' with the meaning that they want to please others without getting anything in return , and i say bravo to them. But most[\b] (as i said previously) of them just want to draw attention and get out of the mass and anonymity. Why i say most ? Because simply in reality, there are more egoists than altruists in this world. Quality , whether we speak for things or characters is rare.

PS : somebody said he wants to share the first kiss with everyone ? WHAT
? He means that he will let his girlfriend kiss ALL his friends ? OR HE will kiss all his friends? :p

bartonjo2
Knight Status

#36 Post by bartonjo2 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:15 pm

what does altruist mean?

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#37 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:31 pm

bartonjo2 wrote:what does altruist mean?
Someone who does things for unselfish motivations.

Bt

Hollister_Man
Peasant Status

#38 Post by Hollister_Man » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:19 pm

Speaking of unfinished projects, from a fequent unfinisher...

I believe myself to be an excellent (though perhaps not very deep) story writer and puzzle crafter. While not being excellent at scripting, I can do anything I set my mind to, with time.

My problem is that I am a prefectionsit (oops, that's perfectionist). I can make a great background, or even a marginally good one, and feel that its crap because its not perfect. From others, I am not so strict, but I cannot accept my own art for what it is.

So...I start games and never finish them. They've got plots, stories, characters, but no art, so no scripting, and no game.

Allan

Radiant
Knight Status

#39 Post by Radiant » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:00 am

Of course, this only goes to show that plot, story and character are a lot less work than art, scripting (including dialogs) and the game as a whole. I mean, even the weekly n00b can get some kind of plot together :)

Klytos

#40 Post by Klytos » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:12 am

Maybe some remakes aren't finished because they get Cease and Desist letters from the companys...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#41 Post by Erpy » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:41 pm

Seeing that 90% of all fangames don't get completed and effectively shut themselves down, I find it hard to believe that any company would go on a frantic witchhunt to try and contact anyone who SAYS he's gonna remake something.

Radiant
Knight Status

#42 Post by Radiant » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:49 pm

Klitos -> out of curiosity, do you have any examples to back up that claim?

Adventurer
Peasant Status

re

#43 Post by Adventurer » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:22 pm

If you arn't making money off the game I don't think there is a whole lot they can do anyway. I mean look at Quest for Glory 4 1/2 it was a shining example of copywrite infringment. I think Sierra wrote them a letter telling them to remove it from the web but they just wrote back an obnoxious reply and kept distributing the game anyway. Although at some point I think they took out some of the racist comments that were in the original release, the beastiality remained.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#44 Post by Alias » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:49 pm

Let me speak truth:

SIERRA, DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE OLD SCHOOL GAMES, REMAKES OR SEQUELS. NOBODY GIVES A DAMN!

Is that too hard to understand?
Last edited by Alias on Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#45 Post by navynuke04 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:52 pm

Did someone from Sierra tell you that?

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#46 Post by Alias » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:54 pm

Honestly? Impossible you guys are. You really cant read between the lines. :|

Klytos

#47 Post by Klytos » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:08 am

Erpy wrote:Seeing that 90% of all fangames don't get completed and effectively shut themselves down, I find it hard to believe that any company would go on a frantic witchhunt to try and contact anyone who SAYS he's gonna remake something.
I was thinking of certain cartoon studios more than software companys. Although I've heard that Lucas have shut down a few fan sites in their time.
Adventurer wrote:If you arn't making money off the game I don't think there is a whole lot they can do anyway. I mean look at Quest for Glory 4 1/2 it was a shining example of copywrite infringment. I think Sierra wrote them a letter telling them to remove it from the web but they just wrote back an obnoxious reply and kept distributing the game anyway.
Point 1 : QFG4.5 is down 80% of the time. Prob not worth the bother.
Point 2 : Ignoring a C&D is rather stupid.
Rog wrote:SIERRA, DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE OLD SCHOOL GAMES, REMAKES OR SEQUELS. NOBODY GIVES A DAM!
I'm sure they know that they know what they own. They are making a new LSL after all. If that's a success then maybe they'll do a QFG next.

Radiant
Knight Status

#48 Post by Radiant » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:08 am

Klitos -> yes, I've heard the rumors about both Garfield: Mutant Lasagna, and Monkey Island: Herr der Loffel (lord of the spoons). I just didn't know if they were true. Btw I do know the VGA remake of Hugo's House of Horrors was taken down, only this was done by polite mail exchange rather than a C&D.

Legal hassles like these are really something I wouldn't want to bother

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#49 Post by Alias » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:36 pm

Moral of the story, keep your projects quiet. :p

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

#50 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:18 am

SIERRA, DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE OLD SCHOOL GAMES, REMAKES OR SEQUELS. NOBODY GIVES A DAM!
I disagree.