The Sierra VGA Background Remakes Thread

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#26 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:30 am

Jay War,

Nice paintover.

I learned how to do what I do by tutorials. You just have to be patient, and learn to practice. Rome wasn't built in a day. You're not going to be able to read a file, then suddenly know how to make art. The best way to get better is to practice - get screenshots of as many Sierra backgrounds as you can. Study how they look - the composition of trees, grass, bushes, foreground, background, structures. Then try and copy as best you can - use all tools at your disposal.

For instance, study these pictures closely

http://www.infamous-adventures.com/sierraart/sq1.jpg

http://www.infamous-adventures.com/sierraart/sqcave.jpg

I guess the best thing I can say is that I have been doing what I do for only a year now (Yes, exactly a year. IA is a year old now! YAY!) and I'm still a novice. It takes much time.

Bt

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#27 Post by Uhanimar » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:50 am

Yeah i will definetly have to study and than try to make it meself....that will work bettar than what i tryed to do before.

Fizzii
Peasant Status

#28 Post by Fizzii » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:35 am

I cleaned it up a bit:

- Sharpened image with Unsharp Mask, to define edges.
- Made the columns squarer like in the original
- Cleaned up edges of other things.

Things that could be worked on:
- Floor could look smoother and shinier
- Glass tube
- Computer angle needs work.

JLM - your background was great! :)

Rog - I was quite serious when I said you should read that tutorial ;) I actually tried it out, and it gives you a better grasp on Photoshop, and the tools there... and if you're painting planets, has an easy way of texturing them.

This is a planet I did in 15 minutes with the tutorial. Not perfect, but quite nice. The stars took longer, but I need to practise those ;)

Jaywar - Your paintover is nice :)

Edit: Just wondering, but could more screenshots be posted that need paintovers? :)

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

#29 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:25 pm

BT- If you're serious about doing this, I recommend that how this should work is that you post and AGI screen, and then the members will paint over it. It can be too easy to get overwhelmed with screens. It should be a 1 screen at a time process.

I will work on one of these as soon as I get my tablet driver installed again (computer troubles).

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#30 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:29 pm

MuzlakOofmay wrote:BT- If you're serious about doing this, I recommend that how this should work is that you post and AGI screen, and then the members will paint over it. It can be too easy to get overwhelmed with screens. It should be a 1 screen at a time process.

I will work on one of these as soon as I get my tablet driver installed again (computer troubles).
Well, I wanted one screen at a time, and that's what I posted. I only posted the docking bay shot, and if you read my first letter carefully, I said we'd work on it until it's completed. Then move onto another one. JLM posted a background he made, and I liked it - so I did some work to it, etc. I figured this thread would get some clutter at first, but after the first few weeks, it would clean itself up, and we'd concentrate on one pic. Fizzi did some nice work on the docking bay - so remember out there, Take a stab at working on the docking bay. Give it details; for instance, the walls could use some texturing and designs, perhaps, and the perspective on the box on the right could be fixed, etc.

Bt

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

#31 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:48 pm

I know. I did read it, but I thought you might want to try enforcing it ;)

Anyways, yeah, I'm going to work on the ones I see here. Maybe make an example format of how to post in this thread?

Also I personally would like to work with PSDs, but that might just be me.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#32 Post by Alias » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:55 pm

Are we making a 1:1 remake here?

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

#33 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:36 pm

Ok, here's my rendition of the image.

Differences: changed the color scheme. The others were way to saturated for me.

Moved the ship upwards a few pixels to fix the ramp.

Altered the perspective of the console thingy. I really didn't like the look of the front of it before, so if anyone wants to make a new face, please do.

I also didn't really like the legs at all, but I couldn't think of anything to do with them.

Fixed the--hose? (if it's not a hose, then I definately didn't fix it :) )

made the propellers uneven. I'm not sure if that's what they are, and i'm not sure if I like it either.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#34 Post by Gronagor » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:30 pm

*phew* You guys have really improved the last few years! All of you!

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#35 Post by Alias » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:03 pm

BT> I would like to see one of the first backgrounds you've made?

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#36 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:22 pm

MuzlakOofmay wrote:Ok, here's my rendition of the image.
Differences: changed the color scheme. The others were way to saturated for me.
Yeah, nice change. I agree.
Moved the ship upwards a few pixels to fix the ramp.
Again, nice work!
Altered the perspective of the console thingy. I really didn't like the look of the front of it before, so if anyone wants to make a new face, please do.
Yeah, that console will have to be some nice pixel art.
I also didn't really like the legs at all, but I couldn't think of anything to do with them.
Yeah, the legs were just blobs of unused colors!
Fixed the--hose? (if it's not a hose, then I definately didn't fix it :) )
Yeah, it's a hose - and it's definitely fixed!
made the propellers uneven. I'm not sure if that's what they are, and i'm not sure if I like it either.
I like the way you made them uneven. I don't think the ship really matters here - it just has to be there, I believe. But overall, nice work!

Bt

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#37 Post by JLM5 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:21 pm

I have now remaked also the following background, but I'm not sure if you want to see it yet (it really isn't completed). Would it be better first complete the backgrounds we have already seen here?

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#38 Post by Uhanimar » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:57 am

This is gong to be very cool....

BTW i played QFG1 remake and i think it rocks....i now know what otto's yoyo and wolfgang-arburter of whatever is....QFG ROCKS!!!!

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#39 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:17 pm

JLM5 wrote:I have now remaked also the following background, but I'm not sure if you want to see it yet (it really isn't completed). Would it be better first complete the backgrounds we have already seen here?
Well, of course I'd like to see it, so when you finish it, feel free to post it. I just don't want this forum cluttered up with spam like stuff about QFG. Uhanimar, I'm glad you played it - but let us know in the off topic forum. This thread is about remaking Space Quest II backgrounds into VGA art. Rog, earlier you asked if we were making a 1:1 remake - right now, we're only remaking the art. If we get to a point where there are a significant amount of backgrounds and sprites completed - maybe then someone can worry about helming the programming of an ACTUAL remake. I started this thread as a way to practice making Sierra-like VGA backgrounds. I've said this before, like a million times. Let's just worry about the backgrounds for now.

Bt

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#40 Post by JLM5 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:02 pm

Ok, here is the first version of it. There are however several things that must be added, like the door of elevator.

But now I think that we don't need more backgrounds until those we have seen here are finished.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#41 Post by Alias » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:15 am

did you use a 3d program to make the steel/stone bits?

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#42 Post by JLM5 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:27 am

Rog wrote:did you use a 3d program to make the steel/stone bits?
Yes, you guessed right. That part of the picture was made with a 3D program, and the rest of it was drawn just with hand. But like I said, the background is not finished yet...

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#43 Post by Alias » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:50 am

Looks good.

I might start work on sprites, since they are my strong point. But I wont promise anything, because my hands are bit full and Im already a prite artist for KQ2.5. So ya.

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#44 Post by JLM5 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:21 pm

Are we still going to continue this thread (or "project")? Nobody has posted anything for several days.

Personally I think that Bt's "Docking bay" background is nearly finished now.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#45 Post by Alias » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:46 pm

Well we cant post here 24/7, some people like to complete their work first then post it. Im a bit busy myself, learning more about VGa backgrounds.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#46 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:46 pm

JLM5 wrote:Are we still going to continue this thread (or "project")? Nobody has posted anything for several days.

Personally I think that Bt's "Docking bay" background is nearly finished now.
Of course; The final docking bay version gets posted on Friday - if there are no other paintovers. Then we move on.

We also have JLM's two pictures to work on.

Bt

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

#47 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:16 am

Lets wait until BT decides to call a background final before moving to the next, ok?

moonlit
Royal Servant Status

A sq2 background

#48 Post by moonlit » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:32 pm

Well I don't know if it is sierraresc enough :) .

Regards, Ron AF Greve.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#49 Post by Alias » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:47 pm

Theres no waterfall?

moonlit
Royal Servant Status

Waterfall

#50 Post by moonlit » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:51 pm

Ah, is that what's in the background. I saw something but couldn't figure out what it was. I think you are right. Well maybe I add one tomorrow.