KQ5 help

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

adeyke

#26 Post by adeyke » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:43 am

The puzzles are generally rather obvious.  The challenge comes not from the puzzles themselves but from the dead ends, the timed sequences, the mazes, and the arbitrary deaths.  Rather poor design, really.

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#27 Post by fluxmaster » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:57 am

Give me your e-mail address, tell me whether you're playing the DOS version or the Windows version, and I'll e-mail you the saved games.

Def Zeppelin
Royal Servant Status

#28 Post by Def Zeppelin » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:40 am

How can you tell which is which? This is from the CD I have, and I got to use dosbox for the sounds to work correctly.  

blacktalons@aol.com

Btw, the puzzle themselves aren't really a challenge.  They are just useless to the gameplay, and takes away from the fun.  Mazes are just annoying, not a challenge.

Radiant
Knight Status

#29 Post by Radiant » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:25 am

Ah, KQV - both one of the most loved and one of the most hated Sierra games.

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#30 Post by fluxmaster » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:59 pm

I have e-mailed you two zip files, one containing saved games from the DOS version, the other containing saved games from the Windows version.  The way to tell which game you have is that the Windows version contains speach but no text, whereas the DOS version contains text but no speach.

Def Zeppelin
Royal Servant Status

#31 Post by Def Zeppelin » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:23 pm

Thank you very much, but I ran into another problem.  When I tried opening a saved file it says "cannot restore, this file was from another interpreter" what do I do?

Broomie
The Enigma

#32 Post by Broomie » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:13 pm

That means the saved files were saved on different a different version to yours. Yet I'm not sure this is the same with the CD version. You have the CD version right, are you sure you're loading the CD saved games and not the Dos saved games?

Def Zeppelin
Royal Servant Status

#33 Post by Def Zeppelin » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:20 pm

I'm pretty sure.  Yup I am using the CD version of the game.  I just put all the files from the cd onto my computer so I don't got to use the CD while playing.

Edit:

I still don't know what to do.  I tried playing this game from the CD but when I do I can't save/load any games, they don't even show up.  When I play this  without the cd *all files on my computer* it works great, I can load/save files.  But I cannot open dos saved game, nor can I open Windows saved games, it says its a different interpreter.  I don't know what to do.

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#34 Post by Peter Swinkels » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:06 pm

[spoiler]The two golden items are interchangeable, so there isn't actually a problem with giving the golden needle to the fortune teller.  You'd then just use the item from the temple where you'd normally use the needle.[/spoiler]
I don't know if that works in KQ V but, computer games aren't always that logical or flexible.

As for the saved game problem, I think just changing the game's configuration a little with the install program can cause the "This game was saved under a different interpreter." error.

Also, any one who gets stuck in KQ V isn't dumb, the game has several nasty dead ends.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#35 Post by Pidgeot » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:41 pm

No, configuration changes alone won't trigger the "saved under different interpreter" error - the interpreter remains the same. That error only occurs when replacing the interpreter or (usually) changing the game data files.

FWIW, that message also appears to be the default error on loading, since the same message appear if you try to load a non-existing save.

Def Zeppelin
Royal Servant Status

#36 Post by Def Zeppelin » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:07 am

So does anyone know what I can do?  I don't know what to do, I don't now how to change the configuration.

Btw, does KQ6 have any dead ends like KQ5 has?  I'm guessing, probably not.

anathoth8
Triforce Defender

#37 Post by anathoth8 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:33 am

Were you to guess that, I'm afraid you would be wrong. KQ6 has plenty of dead ends.

Although, at least Sierra considered one of them during designing the game. There is one point that gives you a chance to go get items if you don't have everything that you need. If you do have them already, you just go straight into the next part.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#38 Post by Pidgeot » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:40 am

So does anyone know what I can do?  I don't know what to do, I don't now how to change the configuration.

Btw, does KQ6 have any dead ends like KQ5 has?  I'm guessing, probably not.
Like I said, the configuration has nothing to do with saved games. If it did, Sierra wouldn't have been able to provide a bunch of saved games on the Roberta Williams Anthology, since they would have no way of knowing the end user's configuration.

My guess is that one or more of the following apply:
1) You have a different game version than that used for the save games you received
2) You only have the *.dir/*.wdr file, not the actual saves
3) You're trying to open the DOS saves in the Windows version (or vice versa)

1) can't really be fixed in any way other than getting saves from someone else. 2) also means you need the saves again, though it might just be a matter of re-unzipping (Winzip has a nasty habit of only unzipping selected files by default, so that may be the problem). 3) just means you need to use the other zip, provided that neither 1) or 2) apply for those.

Def Zeppelin
Royal Servant Status

#39 Post by Def Zeppelin » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:49 am

I tried everything you guys asked me to do, but it still gives me that interpreter error.  Sigh, I guess I'll start from the beginning.  Thanks anyways everyone.