What the hell is this

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#51 Post by Erpy » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:47 pm

And if kids want to see stuff, they're going to see it.
But if I can help it, this is not going to be a place where they're going to look for it.
Teach them how to deal with it. Responsibly.
Sorry, that falls outside our mandate. Our forums shouldn't require kids to have been taught to deal with that stuff to begin with.
Because pretending it's not there is a silently agreeing and allowing it. You can never pretend something IS NOT there. That only leads to irresponsible use and behavior, in private, that leads to later public debauchary.
I'm not pretending draught, mosquito's and termites don't exist, but at the same time, I'd certainly like to keep them out.
Also, as far as supreme Euphemism goes, I think professionals use coarse language more often than anyone else. How weird is it to say that it looks unprofessional to use it? Seriously. Every office setting, of a corporation I've been around, I can hear swearing used in everyday conversation.
I very much doubt that happens in front of the public. No corporation would mess with its own goodwill like that. That's what it's all about. Keep any coarse language to yourself or use it in a group where it's generally accepted. But keep it away from people who don't want to be confronted by it. And yes, if I'm at a supermarket and two employees behind the cash registers are shouting vulgar remarks at each other, even by means of a joke, I consider the whole thing unprofessional and I think I'm not the only one who has that opinion. Their manager would very likely agree.
I just don't like pretending it doesn't exist. I won't pepper every other word with some variation of a word, but I won't always censor myself.
I still expect people to refrain from using vulgar language when they post here. Most people, after all, prefer to do the honors themselves instead of having a mod do it for them.

1eyedParrot
Knight Status

#52 Post by 1eyedParrot » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:08 am

Bitterness Zeus? Thats because more often than not you've stuck your nose into threads just to direct personal attacks against me.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#53 Post by Fribbi » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:12 am

Wow this thread is sure on fire now! :eek Just let it burn so it will go away from this forums. :)

In short words: Just delete this thread.

There is too much angerness here. You will wake the dog inside me if this will not go away and only Rog knows what I am talking about here hehehe! :lol

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#54 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:54 am

Erpy wrote:
And if kids want to see stuff, they're going to see it.
But if I can help it, this is not going to be a place where they're going to look for it.
Honerable, sure, and a good practice, no arguments there.
Erpy wrote:
Teach them how to deal with it. Responsibly.
Sorry, that falls outside our mandate. Our forums shouldn't require kids to have been taught to deal with that stuff to begin with.
But you're assuming the responsibility of parental watchdog. Your previous quote "But if I can help it, this is not going to be a place...." defines that. That's a little of a double standard. Though reasonably, you should not have to police, nor provide a place for them to encounter such things.
Erpy wrote:
Because pretending it's not there is a silently agreeing and allowing it. You can never pretend something IS NOT there. That only leads to irresponsible use and behavior, in private, that leads to later public debauchary.
I'm not pretending draught, mosquito's and termites don't exist, but at the same time, I'd certainly like to keep them out.
Nice try at an analogy, but it doesn't really hold true. Dealing with moral standards can never be compared to slight physical nuscianes.
Erpy wrote:
Also, as far as supreme Euphemism goes, I think professionals use coarse language more often than anyone else. How weird is it to say that it looks unprofessional to use it? Seriously. Every office setting, of a corporation I've been around, I can hear swearing used in everyday conversation.
I very much doubt that happens in front of the public. No corporation would mess with its own goodwill like that. That's what it's all about. Keep any coarse language to yourself or use it in a group where it's generally accepted. But keep it away from people who don't want to be confronted by it. And yes, if I'm at a supermarket and two employees behind the cash registers are shouting vulgar remarks at each other, even by means of a joke, I consider the whole thing unprofessional and I think I'm not the only one who has that opinion. Their manager would very likely agree.
Yeah, the manager would agree. But he's most likely a buttwad. :D Seriously, though, sure. If you don't want employee's using that language, fine. Tell AGD2 that he can't swear in his posts. Not that he does! And remember, in a buisness, the customer is always right! So, most of us her are you customers - in a way. And soon to be if Himalaya launches their product soon.

Erpy wrote:
I just don't like pretending it doesn't exist. I won't pepper every other word with some variation of a word, but I won't always censor myself.
I still expect people to refrain from using vulgar language when they post here. Most people, after all, prefer to do the honors themselves instead of having a mod do it for them.
Sure. Of course they do. Perhaps, if some feel compelled to use vulgar language, perhaps a note in the subject line would do. The only thing that offends me is not language, but idiotic prose and short-sighted ramblings by some people. But, again, this is just a discussion, and not a set of demands.

Bt

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#55 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:22 am

This has gone on long enough. It has been stated by the forum administration that the use of foul language is prohibited. No amount of arguing is going to change that.

I'm afraid that leaving this thread open is just inviting further argument.

In closing, do not use foul language here. It will not be tolerated. If you choose to use foul language, do so in forums where it is allowed.