Future remake? (archived)

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

rodeoclown
Royal Servant Status

Re: June 24th

#526 Post by rodeoclown » Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:25 am

Hahahahaha,
I was going to say something like that, but you beat me to it Erpy :)

My Fiancé has nice baubles, and when I marry her (9 days!) I'm sure she'll let me touch them ;)

A bauble is just like a knick-knack, a little item or ball that is used for decoration.
--RodeoClown II

"When all else fails, try brute force. If brute force doesn't work, you obviously aren't using enough."

Wolfgang Abenteuer

Hmmm...

#527 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:55 am

You're getting married in nine days, eh? You poor sod...

<_<

>_>

O_O

...I mean, uh, Congratulations!!! ;) :)

~Wolfgang

rodeoclown
Royal Servant Status

#528 Post by rodeoclown » Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:56 am

(I don't think it will be THAT bad :) )
--RodeoClown II

"When all else fails, try brute force. If brute force doesn't work, you obviously aren't using enough."

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#529 Post by Gronagor » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:03 pm

heh hehe hehehehe

Congrats. :)

Deledrius
Peasant Status

#530 Post by Deledrius » Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:30 am

So what of it then? Would Black Cauldron still be off limits if the Disney-specific aspects of the game are "retro-altered" to their original forms?

Edit:
Hmm, upon further thought I suppose this could still be a major problem though, since doing this would require pulling the movie (and game) back into its two parts. Since the movie, and a good part of the game are actually the first two novels mashed together, it would no longer be a remake, but an original game based on the novels. Oh well. :(
--------------------
Art: http://www.the-labyrinth.f2s.com
Science: http://www.zero-factorial.com

anathoth8
Triforce Defender

Re: Hmmm...

#531 Post by anathoth8 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:05 am

And in that case, they would have to get copyright permission from the publisher of the novels. I'm not sure that would be any easier. :rolleyes

"May the way of the hero
lead to the Triforce."

Daeyr
Knight Status

TBC stuff

#532 Post by Daeyr » Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:06 pm

Thought I'd stop lurking since I absolutely the Chronicles of Prydain, and TBC was my first Sierra game :D

I think there might even be more than one publisher of The Chronicles of Prydain (five books total, fantastic, sort of like LOTR but on a smaller scale, written by Lloyd Alexander), because there have been a number of editions put out of the series, most recently a very nice hardback set.

Disney butchered the books so horribly in that movie!! Oh man, it was atrocious. The game was fun (wasn't Sierra's fault of course ;) ), and I think could benefit from some expanding, updating, and actually being truer to the books.

~Katie
KQ9 Co-writer
~Katie
WS Daeyr and blue Montath
Candidate/Apprn Seacraft Wylie

Daeyr
Knight Status

#533 Post by Daeyr » Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:29 pm

As i was reading more of the discussion about Disney lobbying for stricter copyright laws...

Thanks to a media class, I know the real reason for this!! It's so Mickey Mouse doesn't get released into the public domain. Right now the copyright is life of the author plus 50 years (i think) and they're trying to get it moved up to 75 years (either that it's currently 75 years and they want it to be longer). Either case, it's ridiculous and all comes down to the fact that Disney doesn't deal in money, they deal in souls. :evil
~Katie
King's Quest 9: Co-Writer

Odyssey Weyr:

Deledrius
Peasant Status

#534 Post by Deledrius » Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:23 am

Not to mention that there's been a push for corporations to act as fully-functional stand-ins for the original creator, essentially making copyrights immortal so long as a company has claim to them. Copyright issues have gotten way out-of-hand and need to be dealt with soon. The original intent of copyright has been long since lost, and the only ones caring are the businesses with money to protect their interests.

Sorry, just my opinion on a subject I think needs more attention than it gets. I wrote an article for my University paper on the topic as well (a longer version is on my site Our Digital Rights), covering copyrights and piracy legislation.

At any rate, I'm glad to see whatever game Tierra makes next, and look forward to playing it. :)

--------------------
Art: http://www.the-labyrinth.f2s.com
Science: http://www.zero-factorial.com

The Avatar
Knight Status

#535 Post by The Avatar » Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:11 pm

Wow, thanks for the info on the Chronicles! It'll be a good break until the next Wheel of Time book comes out..

Daeyr
Knight Status

Re: TBC stuff

#536 Post by Daeyr » Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:11 pm

You're welcome on the TBC info, enjoy them!

I didn't realize corporations were actually trying to become the owners of said rights & authorship. IT's such BS...I mean, the reason there IS a public domain and things get released into it is for the very reason that they're trying to avoid it, because everything can't be held privately forever, the public SHOULD have access to it!

And like Disney can't afford it...I have a friend who is going to be Pluto for them over the summer and is getting $6.50/hour for it. In the summer! In FLorida! In a suit! Where's it bloody f*in hot!! It's so ridiculous that they are paying him that little.
~Katie

Odyssey Weyr:

The Knight
King of Men

I believe..........................................

#537 Post by The Knight » Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:25 am

Disney was pushing big to have the copyrights extended more. I believe they were extended from 75 years to 95 years. >: And I got TBC from Al Lowe's site . :D
The Knight

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#538 Post by Vildern » Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:51 pm

OK, Daeyr, here is a question that if you answer me, I'll thank you (good enough, right? :D ). Do you know where can I email Disney? I tried several emails... but they were all about: "Get a vacation in Disneyworld... Buy Disneysport things...." And blah blah blah. What I'm looking for is an email, which I could send a question regarding TBC. So, do you know any?

Daeyr
Knight Status

#539 Post by Daeyr » Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:08 pm

Phew! I honestly have no idea. What about TBC in particular are you looking to find out? But yeah, I wouldn't know, sorry! If you have any questions about the series of books the game /movie were based on, I can probably answer that. Sorry! :o
~Katie

Odyssey Weyr:

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#540 Post by Vildern » Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:13 pm

I want to discuss with them about their rights over TBC - the game. I'd like to see if they agree on letting Tierra (or another fan 'company'...) making a TBC remake for none-profitable-attentions. I tried several emails - but they all didn't fit. Thanks anyway. I will just keep on looking.

Daeyr
Knight Status

Re: I believe..........................................

#541 Post by Daeyr » Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:37 pm

Phew! Good luck to you. As I said, Disney doesn't deal in money, they deal in souls! And they are incredibly overbearingly protective. I would place a safe bet on them giving you a resounding "hell no!" if you can find the right address, but go right ahead and try it out! More power to you.

In theory, if absolutely no money is being made, then the legal issue is minor to not there, but also, all credit due to the people who originally wrote the game/movie must also be clearly stated. Even if Disney doesn't give a hoot about TBC, if there's potential money to be made by hanging onto the rights or sueing someone over it, I imagine they would go for that option. Odd, since TBC is like the black sheep of Disney, they don't even like the movie they made because it was pretty much a failure at the box office. It was never once on video until the release a few years back.

Now if someone made the Chronicles of Prydain into a live-action movie like LOTR....ohhhh man, would THAT be good....

~Katie

Odyssey Weyr:

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#542 Post by Vildern » Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:59 pm

Thank you for your words. Actually, your post gave me another point that I could add to my letter. Never mind about that point now.

Hihi, I heard that they are overprotective. But, I think that there is at least one guy up there (in a high rank) that have some common sense to see that Disney won't loose one penny or one fan (for sure!) if this project is released. On the contrary, maybe some would buy the movie because they liked the remake or something... There are no downsides in a TBC remake, for none of the sides (us and them). In fact, I'm sure that the hardest part would be to reach them...... Unless they come and say big "HELL NO!" in their first reply, I think that it is possible to convince them.

Broomie
The Enigma

#543 Post by Broomie » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:43 pm

Vildern, why don;t you email one of those Disneyland emails and ask who should I contact if I was to ask about copyright issues. If it isn't an ebot email then you may get a good reply.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#544 Post by Vildern » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:46 pm

I tried several emails - but they all didn't fit
This also means that no one directed me.

The Knight
King of Men

I believe..........................................

#545 Post by The Knight » Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:20 am

I think Disney whould probably sue if Black cauldron is remade. Wether they care a lot or little about it. I can't predict what will happen though. But I believe this is the most likely.

The Knight

Daeyr
Knight Status

#546 Post by Daeyr » Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:36 am

Much as I'd like to hope otherwise, I have to agree with The Knight. One can never assume Disney is good-hearted or thinking with common sense in mind. Or letting the other guy get a leg up, either. :evil

~Katie

Odyssey Weyr:

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#547 Post by Vildern » Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:38 am

But, if they say 'YES', they can't sue us. I shall keep the email for evidence. I shall force them to post it online. Don't worry guys. Everything is under control. I have them just where I want them to be(in other words: I have them in nowhere! Where's their email?!).

The Knight
King of Men

In other words..............................................

#548 Post by The Knight » Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:57 am

In other words, You can pin them up against the wall and shove the evidence in thier face. That is IF they say yes. Which I think is unlikely.
The Knight

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

Re: I believe..........................................

#549 Post by Vildern » Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:06 am

They have to, for our children's sake. The world needs a TBC remake. And who are more qualified to do such a remake if not Tierra?

Broomie
The Enigma

#550 Post by Broomie » Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:11 am

Don't worry, if I ever goto Disneyland I'll stamp on all the Mickey's Mouse feet and run. Mmmkay?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------