Sierra Classic Series being Re-released

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

SierraFan81
Peasant Status

Sierra Classic Series being Re-released

#1 Post by SierraFan81 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:04 pm

I'm sure most of you have/has heard about this by now, I oppologize if this is already being discussed elsewhere...

According to amazon.com on October 11th there will be new releases of the Space Quest, King's Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, and Police Quest Collections that are supposedly totally XP compatible. unfortunately Quest for Glory isn't listed :(

I emailed Vivendi and still haven't heard anything, and there's no info on sierra.com...just spreading the word!! Hopefully this won't have any effect on QFG2VGA, SQ7, KQ9, yadda yadda yadda....

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#2 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:27 pm

Sounds cool, I hope its true!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/searc ... 26-5669406

I bet this was brought around by AGDI's games boosting sales lol

Xyloc
Peasant Status

Legitimite owners of previous series should receive discount

#3 Post by Xyloc » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:59 pm

As Legitimite owner of the complete Space Quest and Kings Quest Series I think I, along with so many others are entitled to discount on the new series.
Long have I despised the need for specific versions of Dll's and supportive programs on my copmuter in order to run the Windows Versions .
In the end, I preferred the DOS versions, also because the timings of the unfair arcade sequences in the Windows versions were much more balanced in the superior DOS programming. Even though the scripting is the same, the Windows interpretations have always felt like patchwork.
Still, I'm looking forward to a technological and gameplay-balanced RErelease of the classics.

Fender178
Knight Status

#4 Post by Fender178 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:13 pm

Im hoping that all of the collections that are being rereleased are more windows xp friendly meaning easier to get them to work properly under windows xp and getting rid of those hideous time buggs in games such as sq1vga sq4 ect.

The Avatar
Knight Status

#5 Post by The Avatar » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:13 pm

Oh, this rocks!   :D  :D

It could be an attempt to 'test the waters' so to speak, in the adventure genre.. great sales are the language these business types understand.

When this rumor is confirmed, the more we help to get the word out about these upcoming releases, the better.  3 cheers for an adventure gaming come back, baby!  :D  :D

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#6 Post by Spikey » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:46 pm

Oh wow! I've been waiting for that sooooo long....seems it's finally paying off. Too bad AGDI will not be credited for boosting the sales.

Or is KQ2VGA included in the collection? Would be cool.  :lol

Fender178
Knight Status

#7 Post by Fender178 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:50 am

Will the kq collection include kq moe? and will lsl collection include lsl manga cum lade?

The Avatar
Knight Status

Now you're being silly

#8 Post by The Avatar » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:30 am

Okay, might as well ask if Police quest compilation will include all the Police Quest: SWAT games too!  ;)

(seriously though, if this is real, they'd only need to include games not currently developed for XP, and the games that are NO LONGER available on the store shelves..)

So i'm fairly certain the newest SWAT and LSL games would not be included.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#9 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:49 am

I got a police quest collection a couple years back called the SWAT Career pack it had PQs 1-4 and Swat 1 and 2 and a demo of 3.

MasterG
Peasant Status

#10 Post by MasterG » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:34 pm

Why bother buying new versions?

Use DosBox.

MusicallyInspired

#11 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:21 pm

I think the point is that it will make it a lot easier for those who don't have any of the games to buy them brand new instead of pirating them or something or searching endlessly on ebay.

MasterG
Peasant Status

#12 Post by MasterG » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:42 pm

My response was to the oldies who were complaining that they weren't getting discounts, of course.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#13 Post by Gronagor » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:21 am

Could be a default post by Amazon.com... perhaps they simply accepted that a game 'released' today would be for XP.

rugged
Defense Minister Status

Kq2vga

#14 Post by rugged » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:06 am

I would not be surprised to see kq2vga as a part of the collection....

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

Re: Kq2vga

#15 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:08 pm

rugged wrote:I would not be surprised to see kq2vga as a part of the collection....
What about KQ1VGA  :p

The Avatar
Knight Status

new Sierra Classics collections on Amazon

#16 Post by The Avatar » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:31 am

Hmm.. on closer inspection, it appears the listed quantity is '1' for each 'collection'.

Unfortunately, this is looking more and more like an erronous post by someone who happens to have some of the old collections.  Chances are the price will change by or on October 11th, when it goes for sale..

But in the mean time, i say we should all email 10 friends, and tell them to email 10 friends - to write Vivendi Universal about the possibility of it being true!  Include a link to the Amazon site, and demand a confirmation BEFORE October 11th.  Waiting for games that may never be released can build up quite a bit of anxiety; might as well make some 'waves' with this built up energy..  ;)

Paradox
Peasant Status

Re: new Sierra Classics collections on Amazon

#17 Post by Paradox » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:39 pm

The Avatar wrote:Hmm.. on closer inspection, it appears the listed quantity is '1' for each 'collection'.
If you look at any of the other new releases coming out soon, such as X3: The Reunion, or Black and White 2 you will notice their quantities are also 1. Thus this should have no bearing on the validity of these entries.

The thing that is curious to me is the noted absence of a Quest for Glory Compilation. I wonder if maybe just maybe KQ1VGA and KQ2VGA will be included in the KQ compilation and perhaps just perhaps the are waiting for QFG2VGA before they release a QFG Compilation (assuming these 4 are successful). I doubt the AGDI's would have a problem with this, but even if they did I don't really think they could do much about it as Vivendi still own the intelectual property. Then again I'm probably just dreaming...

Relight
Archival Expert

#18 Post by Relight » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:39 pm

Didn't the Roberta Williams collection have an emulator for playing the old Apple games? If these are really re-released collections, I doubt very much that Vivendi spent time to go back into the old games and fix all the bugs and timer problems to make them compatible for XP. They will probably just include an emulator to make them work. It would sure be nice if they announced it on the Sierra site or something.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

Re: Now you're being silly

#19 Post by Alias » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:51 pm

The Avatar wrote: So i'm fairly certain the newest SWAT and LSL games would not be included.
Why is that? MOE, Swat & LSL8 should be incluided because its apart of the series of the games, just because a certain person didn't like won't stop them from putting it in a collection.

I'm extremely happy about this move VU made, now just to get these suckers on shelves wear all the other budget materials are.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#20 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:30 pm

Don't ever call it LSL8! (;))

I wouldnt of thought they would put a brand new game like Magna Cum Laude in a compliation boxset.

Not while they can still make money!

Fender178
Knight Status

#21 Post by Fender178 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:01 am

I should rephrase my question.

Will the New kq collection include Kq MOE or it will just include games 1-7 if its released?

MasterG
Peasant Status

#22 Post by MasterG » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:26 am

Magna Cum Laude is still being sold, so it won't be. Mask of Eternity and the first SWAT game have a better chance of being put in such a compilation, though.

MusicallyInspired

#23 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:17 am

As I said, the first two SWATs are already a part of the police quest/swat career pack collection. I doubt MCL will be in the LSL pack, though, as Master g here said.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#24 Post by Gronagor » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:30 am

Hmmm... perhaps.... just perhaps Vivendi's trying to determine how much interest there will be for these games to be revived. The Avatar may have a good idea with the e-mailing. Does anybody have an e-mail address? (Ok... I'm too lazy to go look for it)

The Avatar
Knight Status

What Vivendi has to say...

#25 Post by The Avatar » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:15 pm

Okay, from Vivendi's own KQ forum, the moderator there asked Vivendi what's up with this... and this is what Vivendi had to say:

"We cannot confirm or deny the existence of reselling these collections as several folks have noticed on various web sites.  The company will not confirm or deny anything at this point."

Meanwhile, the King's Quest Compilation is preparing to be sold on yet another website:

http://www.softpicks.com/Kings-Quest-Co ... YFPKG.html