If you could purchase the Sierra game department...

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

If you could purchase the Sierra game department...

#1 Post by Gronagor » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:28 am

If you could purchase the Sierra game development department, what would you do with it?

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#2 Post by Music Head » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:43 am

I think the question should be if u did purchase the Sierra game department what would you do with it?

Jenkins Loo
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Jenkins Loo » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:10 pm

Frode wrote:I think the question should be if u did purchase the Sierra game department what would you do with it?
It doesn't really matter, I feel it is the same question :)

I think I would put a "copyright permission" for the fan-games. In that permission, the fangame-makers are told that they are free to make any fangames they like, but since the copyrights belongs to Sierra, they are asked to avoid selling the fangames. All fans can make any games they wish, and if the game is downloaded more than 10 000 time or more, fans could earn a part-time job or better if they have plenty project they wish to develop + an award for best from Sierra to encourage the site to continue. And since games of high qualities deserves the best support, I would think about a free hosting for the good stuff but only if the fans still agree about earning a living by working for Sierra. The only condition for refusing working for Sierra is to mainting the free downloading and still avoid earning money by themselves.

However, since downloading is free, there would be a word saying that if gamers sincerly liked the game they bought, then, they should think about buying the game. An order form in .pdf format could be availabe and after filling it, gamers could choose between sending the printed form with a cheque to Sierra or allowing paying on-line with a payment under guarantee against pirates ( any idea is welcome ).

Also, it would be a good idea to add the rights all users deserves to know like for example, telling that confidential informations of each users won't be transfered to anyone and is only known of Sierra and the personnal user.

By the way, all downloaders who signed is the guest book will give a hint about which countries are the most intersting to sell the game on national scale.

This is a pleasure to ( try to ) answer a very stimulating thought.

Oilers99
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by Oilers99 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:49 pm

I'd use it to make the crazy game ideas I have floating around in my head, and on paper, a reality.

Yeah, I'd let fans make their interpretations of our games, as long as they didn't try to sell them, or call it a direct sequel. For example, I would have asked the King's Quest 9 team to simply take off the 9, so there wouldn't be any confusion if Sierra were to ever decide to revive the franchise.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#5 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:36 pm

Oilers99 wrote:For example, I would have asked the King's Quest 9 team to simply take off the 9, so there wouldn't be any confusion
:lol
I like KQ8.

It's not KQ8, it's KQ:MOE.

Same thing!

No it's not! They left off the 8. It's not a sequel. It's a spin off.

They left off the 8? I'm so confused.

Skyshark
Knight Status

#6 Post by Skyshark » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:42 pm

-Look into the feasibility of a MMO version of the QFG universe and if feasible, go ahead with it
-Negotiate a licensing agreement with Phoenix Online to continue and release KQIX, showcasing the potential of the Tribes 2 engine (think it was the one they used)
-Consider negotiating similar licensing agreements with other fan game groups of a similar calibre of Phoenix Online
-Offer Windows XP-compatible versions of the old Sierra games for little or no cost online. CD audio games to be converted to MP3 or similar file-size efficient audio format to reduce download size and maximise bandwidth efficiency
-Develop future games with modability in mind (i.e. allow people to create their own quests or storylines, using ingame or imported 3D models, objects and so forth), to help expand the average game playtime and life (I feel modding lead to the success of Doom, Quake and so forth, so this would help)
-Implement strict game quality controls, so no games ever get released from the studio that can be deemed as 'sub-par' or 'underdone'
-Buy licences to utilise the latest game engines available on the market would be suitable to the games in development or develop a new engine inhouse that utilises the latest video and audio technologies in development or available

Basically, providing a market for old adventure games while also making smart investment decisions to attain market leadership and encourage further growth in sales.