QFGF no longer unemployed

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

QFGF no longer unemployed

#1 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:19 pm

Because RR doesn't want to work for me and the gamer thread won't either this becomes it's own thread that I copied and pasted from IA (because I'm lazy and don't want to retype or personalize this.

in other news I got a job yesterday at the local Ski resort like I did last winter and in the words of my older brother
If I know anything about snow-schools from watching 80's movies all my life it should be a blast with PG-13 nudity
Needless to say this is a go colonel moment.

GO COLONEL! GO COLONEL! IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY! WE'RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#2 Post by Swift » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:33 pm

Congrats.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#3 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:57 pm

Congrats!!!!!

Broomie
The Enigma

#4 Post by Broomie » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:46 pm

I also got a job aswell, working at Curry's. I sell crap to dumb ass customers, yet it seems I sell the Ipod's the best since I know quite abit about them and didn't even know.
Last edited by Broomie on Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#5 Post by Vildern » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:53 pm

Congratulations, QFG Fan & Broomie :)

Now you can make lots of money and buy Vivendi Universal and then force them renounce their ridiculous C&D letter.

Jenkins Loo
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Jenkins Loo » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:01 pm

Vildern wrote:Now you can make lots of money and buy Vivendi Universal and then force them renounce their ridiculous C&D letter.
I had the same positive thought :D

This is good that you two succeed in getting a job during these hard days. It please me when someone else have the chance to earn a living ( preferably in a place where everyone is respectful ).

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#7 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:44 pm

Talking of jobs Deb and I have an interview on Friday and Wednesday (respectively) its basically the exact same job were doing now, but your actually employed by the company (BT) instead of an agency.

So although its the same job, it opens the door to climb the ladder so to speak and we also get a raise of about £3000 a year each and get paid for sick days etc and the main thing... job security!! If our department closes down for whatever reason (I don't think it would as it as the majority of all UK Broadband users as its customer base) then they have to find us another job within the company!

So wish us luck!! We've just blown £100 each on suits for the interview's as they mean business!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#8 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:51 pm

Whoa, Great job you two. I wish I could figure out how much I make a year... or season. Ha, I do it for me anyways I make nickels and dimes to be honest but the experiance is one of a kind.

Fender178
Knight Status

#9 Post by Fender178 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:28 pm

I had a job this past summer working at a cemetary. I had to cut grass around tomb stones. It sucked because it was so hot and humid this past summer.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#10 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:14 am

Well my interview is today at 2pm, wish me luck!

The Guy
Knight Status

#11 Post by The Guy » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:23 am

Best of luck to you Angelus!!  And to Vamp as well when she goes to her interview!  Now I who need to find some employment somewhere too.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#12 Post by Swift » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:57 pm

Good luck. Image

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#13 Post by navynuke04 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:59 pm

Good luck guys! Let us know how it turns out! :D

Jenkins Loo
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by Jenkins Loo » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:20 pm

Angelus3K wrote:Well my interview is today at 2pm, wish me luck!
Seems I came too late, to encourage you and to advise you that maybe you could try to stay natural during the interview.

I don't how an interview looks like in another country but in France, you're asked to tell the boss who are your 4 qualities then 4 of your faults.

Here are some hints that should try to help to find out if you think you succeed the interview:
- How long was the interview; if it was short, either you didn't had much to say, or the boss was showing you the door. I think a good interview last 30 minutes or more.
- How did you answer? For me, when I was asked faults, I just said to the woman that "I don't look myself a lot in the mirror", a subtle way to avoid answer a question which you don't know how to answer. Just try your best.
- Were you sweating ? Were you afraid ? Did you stutter ( it was my case ) ? I don't if this is important but as I said above "try staying natural".

Sincerly Angelus and Deb, the work you want to apply seems to have everything you need to avoid worrying about unfair dismissal.

I wish you'll get the job :)

Parhelion
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by Parhelion » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:08 pm

I had an interview today also.  A software support job for a publisher of test material.  I almost had the job, until she told me that I would be required to work evenings, which would conflict with my school schedule.  I was really upset too, because earlier they told me the hours were 7:00am - 3:30pm, and then today they said 12:00pm - 8:00pm.

I didn't get any of the behavioral interview questions such as "tell me your 4 strengths / weaknesses" or "tell me about a time you had to make a business decision and it didn't turn out as you expected," which was a relief.  In fact, with all the time I've spent preparing for those types of questions, I've never actually been asked one.

Oh well.  I sure hope your interview went better than mine.  Good luck!

DennisBergkamp
Peasant Status

#16 Post by DennisBergkamp » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:01 pm

Haha, that's funny I had one today as well. Guess it went alright... they asked a bunch of technical questions, which is understandable considering I applied for a programmer position. Was sort of nervous, but it lasted about 45 minutes so I guess according to Jenkins Loo that's a good sign  :lol

Anyways, hope everyone here got the job!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#17 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:06 am

Well I thought it went quite well!

Only time will tell, we find out 19 or 20th of December.

I'm just glad its over so I can relax now lol

Thanks for all your support guys!

And goodluck Deb for your interview tomorrow!!

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#18 Post by Gronagor » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:19 pm

I hate interviews. That stupid question must have been thought up by some idiot with some psychological disturbance: "What is your weak points"

If you answer "I don't have any" they don't appoint you because 'you can only improve if you know your weak point'. If you tell them anything they simply say "Sorry, but those points that you described as your weak points is actually the strong points we're looking for. Don't call us, we'll call you".

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#19 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:11 pm

I know what you mean Gron, luckily this is an internal interview so they dont ask stupid questions like that, mainly things like, give an example of when you gave exceptional customer service or give an example of a time in your life when you had great responsibilty placed onto you.

Normal questions like that lol.

The Avatar
Knight Status

Excellent!

#20 Post by The Avatar » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:59 am

;)   Well, congrats, goodluck, and awesome thread!  I was just planning to start my own concerning what's been going on with me job-wise, but it looks like my story will fit nicely in here.

Basically, I've been a fulltime student at college for the last 2.5 years and I've recently decided that I need to find a reliable job that can help to clear up the financial mess I've dug myself into.. So anyways, after 4 interviews and 2 months of bugging them - to show that I seriously wanted the job - I'm now a Starbuck's Barista.  Starbuck's is the perfect partime job while I'm attending college because I can attend school anywhere and there'll always be one around the corner to work at.. not to mention they offer full benefits to parttime employees, which is unheard of anywhere else.

So anyway, I'm really happy that everyone seems to be getting the jobs they want, and I wish you all Happy Holidays..

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#21 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:51 pm

ya Chris I think that went well and good luck Debs. I just signed up for my CASI (Canadian Association of Snowboard Instructors) license. It's 300 bucks but it's a piece of cake if you watch the tapes they have on http://www.snowpro.com

Hey as long as I'm advertising sites for reference I miught as well link te resort so you can have a better idea of what the place is like up north http://www.Searchmont.com

My boss called  and said I needed to sign up for this course because I was too young last year and said both my friends that came with me have got the jobs. I just can't wait for more snow now! Also the CASI representative that's coming to our resort on the 27th has met me before and we've actually taught lessons together so there's no doubt thjat I have the ability to do this.

Broomie
The Enigma

#22 Post by Broomie » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:56 pm

I've been working at Curry's for less than two weeks and I'm in the top 5 for selling products. People who've been there for a year or more are behind me, I rule.

Well, I made one mistake when the credit card system was down and many of the retail stores in the area were having problems with credit card payments, so after dealing with a customer for 10 minutes, trying the card over and over again he eventually gave in and paid by cash. It was only till my next customer I realized I had left his credit card in the machine and he was long gone. He looked big and tough aswell. I could probably take him on anyway if he's looking for trouble.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#23 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:01 pm

Or Broomie, you could try saying "Excuse me Sir, you left your credit card here".

That might work  ;)

Broomie
The Enigma

#24 Post by Broomie » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:40 pm

Angelus3K wrote:Or Broomie, you could try saying "Excuse me Sir, you left your credit card here".

That might work  ;)
I would have tried that if he wasn't already in his car possibly halfway up to Scotland or something. I left it in the till just incase.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#25 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:13 pm

Well we got our results today!!

Deb got the contract but I didnt.

I knew I wouldnt get mine after I had spoken to a few people about how their interview went and I see now (quite stupidly) that I totally forgot to answer the questions in a business oriented way. I was just being myself when I should have adapted my answers to what they were looking for.

At least I've learned from that now and I can't wait to try again when more contracts are available in April.

But I'd like to say a HUGE congrats to Deb for getting her contract!!! I'm so proud of her! She deserves!

Well done!!!