Game Quest: Adventure Game Novel Released!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

hakujinmusume
Royal Servant Status

Game Quest: Adventure Game Novel Released!!

#1 Post by hakujinmusume » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:03 pm

Well, it was just under a year ago that I decided to take my novel and publish it. I thought it would be ready for Fall 2005, but finally, in March 2006 after 39 serialized chapters (40 weeks of posting total!), my book is finally ready!!!

I drove to the edge of town on Monday and loaded 897 pounds of books into my little Tercel. (yes, 897! I was surprised too). I was worried the tires were going to pop on the way home! Then I had to drag 600 books up 15 floors to my apartment. I slept well that night, knowing my baby was finally home safe...plus all the exercise helped. The book turned out even better than my expectations. I'm really happy with it.

If you want to learn more about the novel or buy it, just go to www.gamequestnovel.com I've put up a bunch of pictures and stuff too, in case anyone is interested! I'm having a 'launch' sale the first two weeks so that people who have been following along, and those in the adventure gaming community who've helped me out and supported me could get a better deal. The price will go up in two (maybe three) weeks. I shipped the first ten or so copies of books yesterday, which was kind of a rush.

I won't go too much into what the novel is about, since most people here know, and you can read it at gamequestnovel.com, but essentially it's about the hostile takeover of an adventure gaming company in the mid-90s, just before the Internet really rose to power. I hope you'll check it out. Anyway, I hope you'll all check it out.

I want to thank everyone here for their support, recommendations, comments, reviews, etc... throughout the whole ordeal. I seriously underestimated the amount of work (and money!) a project of this nature would take. Most probably I'll lose money on this, but I'm doing it for the love. Adventure Game love. So thanks to everyone for helping/reading/talking about/reading my novel. I really appreciate it.

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#2 Post by Vroomfondel » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:16 pm

Congratulations!  :)  :D

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#3 Post by Vildern » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:33 am

Congrats! I'm so happy for you :)

I think about buying it.

hakujinmusume
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by hakujinmusume » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:33 pm

Thanks so much, guys! I'm really happy about it myself.

I hope you do buy it Vildern! ;) It's likely to be the only fictional book about Adventure Games ever published, so that makes it unique. Also, it will be hard to find elsewhere, because I don't have the distribution of a large conglomerate, unfortunately. (unless I sell like several thousand copies and can afford it!). I am getting it put on Amazon.com, though. But it'll be more expensive than ordering through me.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the book. Even though it's more expensive than I wanted it to be, due to shipping and the small print run, I still think it's a great deal for a 500 page illustrated novel with a bunch of freebies. Of course, even if it was 10 bucks cheaper I'd still wish it was even cheaper.

I hope the book succeeds. I won't be disappointed if it doesn't, because it's been a great experience, but I'd like to be able to tell other authors I know 'hey, you know what? You can publish things yourself and still break even and get your work out there' which I think would be pretty cool. Thanks again for your support!

Relight
Archival Expert

#5 Post by Relight » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:16 pm

It's likely to be the only fictional book about Adventure Games ever published, so that makes it unique.
Unless you count the KQ novels and the Sierra Companions that gave hints by telling the story of the game like a novel.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#6 Post by Vildern » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:39 pm

Hey!!!

So, all I have to do is send a cheque of 15.5 USDs to this address:
#1213 11020 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta
T5K 2N1

With my information and you'll send me a book?

Ok, but several questions:
Is an Israeli cheque acceptable?
Should I use USDs or Canadian Dollars? If so, what's the newly calculated sum in Canadian Dollars?
English/Hebrew?

hakujinmusume
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by hakujinmusume » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:37 am

Vildern. Great to hear you're interested!

Paypal would be the easiest, then I can send the book right away. But you need a credit card.

If that's no good, yes just send a check. An Israeli check might be difficult to cash - I'm sure the bank will want to hold it for thirty days, but I can take it. It will be a fun experience, since I've never seen an Israeli check before. :)  Or you can send a money order.

Yes, $15.50 US for the book, and $6US for shipping equals $21.50US, total. Is that ok? Just send it to the address above. Thanks! I hope you enjoy it!

hakujinmusume
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by hakujinmusume » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:39 am

Relight,

Yeah. I guess I wouldn't count those, because they aren't ABOUT adventure games themselves, but based on them. I guess, for me, it's the difference between Super Mario Bros: The Movie (really bad) and The Wizard (sorta bad).  :lol

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#9 Post by Vildern » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:57 pm

I think a cheque will be the best way :) So, could you please just verify if an Israeli cheque qualifies? If so, I'll be sending you one asap :)

hakujinmusume
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by hakujinmusume » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:37 pm

Hello Vildern,

Yes, an Israeli cheque is fine. The bank will put a hold on it for a month, but I will send the book as soon as I get the cheque - I won't wait for the bank to cash it. Would be too long and I'm sure you want your book ASAP. I trust you!  :)  Just try to have enough money in the bank to cover the cheque when it does go through.

I made a mistake with the shipping. It's actually $7.75. Don't worry, just send $6 for shipping, since it was my mistake. ;)  But I just wanted to clarify that!

Thanks again for your interest! I really hope you enjoy it. I'll set aside your book right now.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#11 Post by Vildern » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:22 pm

Great, I'm so happy! I'll send the cheque right away on Sunday or Monday :)

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#12 Post by Pidgeot » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:19 am

Just placed an order through PayPal. I've enjoyed the parts you've put up, and the price just makes it that more attractive. :p

hakujinmusume
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by hakujinmusume » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:11 am

Vildern: Thanks! I'm excited too! I hope the book doesn't take too long to get there once it's sent.

Pidgeot: Thanks! I've packed up your order and sent it along. I actually wish the price was cheaper, but not much I can do about that. My girlfriend tells me that books are much more expensive in Europe than over here. So I guess maybe it's still really cheap over there!

In the not-too-distant future I want to put together a little 'world domination' map of places where Game Quest has been sent. Think it would be fun to mark it's progress that way. I'll let everyone know.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#14 Post by Pidgeot » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:43 am

Europe *is* expensive, and Denmark even more so.

As a comparison:
Your book costs me 23.25 USD, including shipping. That's 142.347 DKK when converted.
If I were to go down to the local music store and pick up a brand new audio CD, I'd have to pay 149.95 DKK - that's 24.4918 USD.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#15 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:14 am

its not that much pidge. either way im not buying only because im broke and poor and such

edit: this has been another impaired QFGF post.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#16 Post by Vildern » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:45 am

I've even a better idea. What about I'll send you real money (paper) instead of a cheque? :)

hakujinmusume
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by hakujinmusume » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:36 pm

Pidgeot: Yeah, that IS expensive. 25 CDN (~21.50 US) is an EXPENSIVE CD here. Books can get quite expensive too, but a 500 page book usually costs between 25 and 35 dollars, so my book isn't bad. Still, it could be cheaper but the main reasons it's not is because I can't do the print run in the 1000s (at least not yet! Still hoping for an massive influx of thousands of orders!  ;) ), because the post charges more to ship the book than it costs to make it, and, on the bookstore end, bookstores take 55%+ of the cover price. It's hard to even break even with commissions like that. I'm really glad to hear that it's reasonably priced over there. Most of the interested in the book has been from Europe, too.

Vildern: You can do that if you want. My only concern is that it will go 'missing' on the way. I'm sorry to say, but I've heard that this happens a lot. You'll have to make sure it's very well disguised in the envelope (or mailed with some sort of certification) so that it doesn't disappear. If it does disappear, there's nothing I can do about it. But if it's well hidden, it might not be a problem. A money order is also a possibility. You can get them at banks or the post office here. But sometimes they charge rediculous fees for them. I'll be interested to see what you decide! International shipping is tricky, eh? So much for the global economy!  :p

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#18 Post by Vildern » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:03 pm

Yes, it is very tricky and very inefficent.

I say to myself, what are the odds it will go missing? ^_^ I really mistrust it. Chances are you'll get it :)

I haven't the time yet, so I'll probably do it tomorrow, which means 21-30 days will pass, before I'll get a reply from you, saying that you've received it. Then, it's another 30 days, before I get the money....

Oh, and don't worry, I'll make sure the money is well hidden ;)

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#19 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:14 pm

Putting the cash in an old DVD/Video box might be an idea.

hakujinmusume
Royal Servant Status

#20 Post by hakujinmusume » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:36 am

That's a great idea, Angelus3K. Or something less bulky might be better, so that it mails easy. Even just wrapping it in paper so that people can't see through the envelope should be fine.

I was all depressed today because when I sent the latest orders off at the post office, they said it was going to take 6-8 weeks for the orders from Australia to get there. Then I came online and in another forum one of the guys from Australia I sent it to got the book already! In 6 days! Before even the people in the US have recieved it. Wild. So now I don't know what to think. I hope Canada Post is just trying to cover its ass with that '6-8 weeks' bit. It surprised me, because I send stuff to friends in Japan all the time and it usually takes 3 weeks maximum. So I hope 6 days is the norm. That's great! Now I'm happy again.

Vildern, when you send the letter, can you include your real name (if you want)? I like to sign the books with a note to the person who bought it. (or I can sign it to Vildern if you want too, that's fine. Anybody you want!)

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#21 Post by Vildern » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:44 am

Hey, hakujinmusume, a little update. Angelus will pay for the book for me via paypal instead of me sending you an envelope ;)  Would be a lot more simpler and easier and faster.

I PMed you, so check your PM box :)

hakujinmusume
Royal Servant Status

#22 Post by hakujinmusume » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:10 am

Vildern,

I got the order from Angelus. That's very kind of him! I have put the package together and will send your signed copy tomorrow morning, since the post office is closed now. I hope you enjoy it! Please tell me when it arrives, so that I won't worry about it.

I hope you enjoy it!

Shade
Peasant Status

#23 Post by Shade » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:55 pm

Looks great, will you autograph copies for us?

hakujinmusume
Royal Servant Status

#24 Post by hakujinmusume » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:57 am

Shade: Yes, of course! That's one advantage I have as an independent author. About 90% of the people who buy my books have SOME connection with me, either I've met with them in person, talked with them online, or exchanged an email when they bought the book. You buy a book in a store and the author doesn't even know you've bought it. It's kind of nice this way. Especially with something made for the adventure community, it's nice to actually have contact with other adventure game fans.

Anyway, I like to sign the books I sent out and usually add a little note, too. Just make sure you leave the name you want it signed to in the comments part when you order!

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#25 Post by Vildern » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:53 am

Huh, that's fantastic, I'm so looking to it :)

Yes, Angelus is one great friend. "For he's a jolly good fella..."  ;)