The Janitorial Times is back, baby!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Amayirot Akago
Royal Servant Status

The Janitorial Times is back, baby!

#1 Post by Amayirot Akago » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:12 am

Yes, that's right, the official SpaceQuest.net forums are back in business thanks to the hard work of a few loyal fans. Come on over and have a look, and maybe stick around for some high-intensity discussion on the Space Quest series.

http://spacequest.net/forum/index.php

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:56 am

Already registered! SQ being my favourite series, it's good to have an SQ forum to go to after being forum-less for a while. (The earlier Quadrant G6 forum has been converted into a private forum, weird!)

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#3 Post by Spikey » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:35 am

There's somebody else named Spikey there >: o

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#4 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:16 pm

Spikey wrote:There's somebody else named Spikey there >: o
Yea lol, I think thats Spikey from SQ5!

MusicallyInspired

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:23 pm

Yes I noticed that when you first joined us here, Spikey. I said to myself when you first posted "Well, Spikey's never going to post here." lol

He's a long-time SQ poster, though. He doesn't like KQ as much as SQ anyway so he's never posted here.

Broomie
The Enigma

#6 Post by Broomie » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:56 pm

The Janitorial Times is by far the worse forum I've ever come across. The rules were pathetic, if you haven't made 30 or so posts within a certain period your account is removed. I registered and I don't think I ever got validated and from viewing some of the threads it came across that the people had little or no freedom at all whatsoever. Having an account there is like having a job, you rarely go you're removed and it seems you have to be interviewed before you're allowed to post.

But hey, welcome to my opinion.

If it's under new management though and less moderated, I'd give it a go.

MusicallyInspired

#7 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:24 am

Ahh yes that was the OLD Janitorial Times. It is under new moderation now and they've stated specifically that they wanted it to be less strict but not as carefree as the SubChan is (almost no moderation, apparently).

And that Quadrant G6 is by far the worst forum out there. If you think the old JT was bad you should have read G6's rules! You can't now though as they said it's going to be a private forum from now on....which I don't really understand the point of...just use an instant messenger if you want to talk private. Anyway...

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#8 Post by Vroomfondel » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:59 am

Yeah, Musically Inspired's correct. The old JT was harsher than most forums, but it's much more relaxed now.
Last edited by Vroomfondel on Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#9 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:15 am

It's odd.  I find a great deal of Space Quest fans to be a pompous and despicable lot.  Not all are, but for a comedy series, there are some damn self-important fans.

Bt

MusicallyInspired

#10 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:42 am

Actually, that very reason has kept me from posting previously in any SQ forums for an extended period of time. I got a similar impression. But with these "new old" forums starting, I'm gonna give it another chance. I haven't been to any SQ forums in a long time and my initial impression may have been misguided or things might have changed. Either way, I'm seeing how it goes. So far I haven't felt what I felt before.

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#11 Post by Vroomfondel » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:55 pm

It's odd.  I find a great deal of Space Quest fans to be a pompous and despicable lot.  Not all are, but for a comedy series, there are some damn self-important fans.
I think every community has its share of people like this, but I know what you're saying, as there were a lot of people like that on the SC.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#12 Post by Spikey » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 pm

Blackthorne519 wrote:It's odd.  I find a great deal of Space Quest fans to be a pompous and despicable lot.  Not all are, but for a comedy series, there are some damn self-important fans.

Bt
Oh noes! Should I write a thesis on Space Quest Fan stereotyping?

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#13 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:54 am

Spikey wrote:
Blackthorne519 wrote:It's odd.  I find a great deal of Space Quest fans to be a pompous and despicable lot.  Not all are, but for a comedy series, there are some damn self-important fans.

Bt
Oh noes! Should I write a thesis on Space Quest Fan stereotyping?
Not to say ALL of them were, but I sincerely found a vast majority of the internet posting SQ fans to be self-important and unctuous.

Bt

Johnathon
Peasant Status

#14 Post by Johnathon » Sat May 06, 2006 9:16 pm

----------
Last edited by Johnathon on Tue May 30, 2006 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alistair
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by Alistair » Mon May 08, 2006 12:31 pm

What can I say.
Not to say ALL of them were, but I sincerely found a vast majority of the internet posting SQ fans to be self-important and unctuous.
And I was just about to say all KQ fans were cuddly and fun, and now I feel like making a sweeping generalisation like Blackthorne here, and saying all KQ fans are typically off-topic posters and usually sheepthat follow the status quo.. but I would never do that, because that's not true of every fan- take MusicallyInspired for example.

Bloody hell man, qualify your statements or people will pick them to pieces.
There's somebody else named Spikey there  >:  o
For the record, I'm Alistair, also known as Spikey, the Spikey who's been active in the Space Quest and Sierra communities (I'm Spikey at other Sierra forums, too) since 2002. (I also run a Sierra music website.)

And yes, my nick is from Spikey from SQ5- everyone had good SQ nicks, and surprisingly enough noone had Spike or Spikey.

And I love KQ, too, for the record. I just seem to love the ones people dislike (KQ1, KQ5/6/7), and loathe the popular ones (KQ2/3/4).
The Janitorial Times is by far the worse forum I've ever come across. The rules were pathetic, if you haven't made 30 or so posts within a certain period your account is removed. I registered and I don't think I ever got validated and from viewing some of the threads it came across that the people had little or no freedom at all whatsoever. Having an account there is like having a job, you rarely go you're removed and it seems you have to be interviewed before you're allowed to post.

But hey, welcome to my opinion.

If it's under new management though and less moderated, I'd give it a go.
Welcome to my fist! ;)

But seriously, I'm one of the co-administrators, and essentially the reason why the forum is up again. I care passionately about the series and disliked the fact that the 2 forums in existance were in essence, crap (Quadrant G6 is a nightmare, and even the formerly glorious SubSpace Channel is at best very disappointing).

Anyways, the JT "version 2" is trying to be different from its' original and previous incarnations. While not everyone would put it the way Jamie did there, people nevertheless had complaints and suggestions- even I, one of the admin, did. So we've tried to structure things differently this time around, and dare I say the forum is vastly improved. If you have love for SQ, it's a good place to visit and chat.

And finally, on Quadrant G6: If anyone's seriously interested on my (low) opinion on the matter (which, given that this is a KQ forum, probably not), please read this from my forums, a few joint KQ/SQ fans have posted in it as well, it details a fair range of opinions of the farcical forum. But, granted once more, it probably won't be of interest to 90% of folks here, I'm just posting for those who would be:
http://users.boardnation.com/~sierramus ... 65;start=0

Regards,
- Alistair/Spike
Sierra Music Central
http://smc.sq7.org