Space Quest III Remake

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Alliance
Knight Status

Space Quest III Remake

#1 Post by Alliance » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:18 am

Space Quest III - The Pirates of Pestulon

The Story:

Well, we all know the story. Roger, asleep in his sleep chamber, wakes up on a garbage freighter. He has to get out of here, at least to do something! Come on, he may be a janitor, but geez. Anways, we only have a handful of screens done, but it's starting to come together.

Some screenshots:

April 6th, 2007

Well, the game is crawling along slowly. Some of the artists left the team, as well as a scripter. Our website is unfinished, and things are getting frustrating from time to time. We have almost no one on our forums, and this is rather sad. It would be nice if folk started visiting the forums more.
In other news, we've decided to go with a SQ4 style Roger, along with a SQ4-esque interface, and cursors.

Anywho, feel free to stop by our forums at:
www.squadronsixentertainment.com/forums
Last edited by Alliance on Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:47 am

SQ3 always appeared to me as a total female dog to script. Stuff like the robot fight, the space battle and astro chicken. (*shudder*) You'll have some tough years ahead of you especially if you insist on working on another project on the side.

pass
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by pass » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:30 pm

Wasn't there a remake of astro chicken somewhere on the internet, or did I just imagine seeing it? (I'm starting to sound old... Crap  ;) )

Alliance
Knight Status

#4 Post by Alliance » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:10 am

Erpy wrote:SQ3 always appeared to me as a total female dog to script. Stuff like the robot fight, the space battle and astro chicken. (*shudder*) You'll have some tough years ahead of you especially if you insist on working on another project on the side.

Don't you worry, my dear Erpy! I happen to have an excellent scripter on the team named Orieac, who actually recreated the entire junk frieghter of SQ3 in AGS (it was EGA though)
I have some an excellent bg artist, and a great sprite artist. I'm not too worried (but you ARE affiliated with a very professional team, I'll bet you know all about the bumps and curves of making games. And I'm just an amatuer anyways. )

Fender178
Knight Status

#5 Post by Fender178 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:57 pm

Looks very promising keep up the good work.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#6 Post by Klytos » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:45 am

Don't you worry, my dear Erpy! I happen to have an excellent scripter on the team named Orieac, who actually recreated the entire junk frieghter of SQ3 in AGS (it was EGA though)
The junk freighter is the easy part of the game, working on the complicated stuff is what makes KQ3 a bitch to script. Trust me, I've also looked into it and it wouldn't be easy.

Astro Chicken, the Fighters towards the end of the game, the Nukem-Dukem robots. These are the complicated bits. The good thing about this game is that it is written very modular. It would be easier to script than say KQ2 because it can be easily broken down into chunks (each planet is pretty much self-contained etc).

Anyway, get going. I want to see this game, I love SQ3.

Alliance
Knight Status

#7 Post by Alliance » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:25 am

Klytos wrote:
The junk freighter is the easy part of the game, working on the complicated stuff is what makes KQ3 a bitch to script. Trust me, I've also looked into it and it wouldn't be easy.

Astro Chicken, the Fighters towards the end of the game, the Nukem-Dukem robots. These are the complicated bits. The good thing about this game is that it is written very modular. It would be easier to script than say KQ2 because it can be easily broken down into chunks (each planet is pretty much self-contained etc).

Anyway, get going. I want to see this game, I love SQ3.
Thanks Klytos

I updated the thread with new stuff.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#8 Post by Kurdt » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:56 pm

Well, while it'd be a bitacha to script, in some ways there are already road maps for you. For example, people already make RPGs in AGS, so there are references you can look up when scripting in the combat sequences. Astro Chicken and the ScumSoft Fighters is going to be hard as well, but I'm sure there's somewhere you can see arcade sequences scripted in (*cough*KQ2*cough*). What I'm saying is that it's hard, but it's doable and has been traveled before, so you don't need to quake in your boots.

Broomie
The Enigma

#9 Post by Broomie » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:39 pm

Why is it people keep jumping straight to SQ3 with remakes... what happened to SQ2... I'd love to play that in VGA.

Oh well, I suppose we'll make it then.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#10 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:35 am

SQ3 was apparently everyone's favourite. I didn't like it all that much. It does have a very nostalgic feel with the soundtrack and everything, but SQ2 I liked a lot better. I don't know why nobody is making SQ2. I almost feel like doing one sometime...or at least creating the soundtrack for it. I can picture a quasi-SQ1-SQ4 soundtrack goin' on there...

Alliance
Knight Status

#11 Post by Alliance » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:17 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:SQ3 was apparently everyone's favourite. I didn't like it all that much. It does have a very nostalgic feel with the soundtrack and everything, but SQ2 I liked a lot better. I don't know why nobody is making SQ2. I almost feel like doing one sometime...or at least creating the soundtrack for it. I can picture a quasi-SQ1-SQ4 soundtrack goin' on there...
I was never that great at SQ2, to be honest. I got as far as the Cubix Rube puzzle, and then I was stuck because I left the Cubix Rube back in Roger's locker. In a fit of rage, I quit playing.
I might have to play it from start to finish sometime.

MusicallyInspired

#12 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:50 am

Ah yes, I hated those dead end puzzles as well (I pity the poor suckers who never picked up the piece of glass in front of the escape pod, or forgot the dehydrated water, etc in SQ1). But if you can get past that, it's a pretty good game. Most seem to say it's the boring-est Space Quest of them all, but it's got it's good points.

Alliance
Knight Status

#13 Post by Alliance » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:04 am

Yeah, for the most part it was fun. I enjoyed it quite a bit. And of course, the witty text that Mark Crowe and Scott Murphy put into that game is just beyond funny.

I especially liked after you died, and could only restore, restart, or quit, you can still choose "About" and you get this:
"This game was designed by Mark Crowe and Scott Murphy. Please don't blame them for making you die."

Or something along the lines of that.
Anyway, back on subject, the site has gone through some rennovations (like a designer journal and shout box were added, and there's some updated screenshots)
You can see them here at www.dogmadaygames.co.nr
Yes, it's still crappy Freewebs with Invisionfree forums and a free domain name. I need to get a job...

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#14 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:08 am

Sean whats with you and voice acting?

Alliance
Knight Status

#15 Post by Alliance » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:23 am

AsianMusicGuy wrote:Sean whats with you and voice acting?
Huh?

adeyke

#16 Post by adeyke » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:59 am

You never actually needed the puzzle in SQ2; you could just swim off-screen and back for the same effect...

MusicallyInspired

#17 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:26 am

Then how did you get around the Labion Terror Beast?

adeyke

#18 Post by adeyke » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:47 am

Like I said, once the Beast is summoned, you can just go off-screen to the left (where you came from) and return, and the Beast will be gone.

pass
Royal Servant Status

#19 Post by pass » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:19 am

Unfortunately, you get no points for getting the rubix cube or for using it....

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#20 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:09 pm

in all your games you announce full voice acting are you obsessed with it

Alliance
Knight Status

#21 Post by Alliance » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:34 pm

AsianMusicGuy wrote:in all your games you announce full voice acting are you obsessed with it
Well, I just want top quality. After all, jokes are made funnier by voice acting.

Alliance
Knight Status

#22 Post by Alliance » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:48 am

Bit of an update at the top of the post.
Time to ressurect this old thread.  ;)

MusicallyInspired

#23 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:44 pm

So you've decided to go with the SQ4 Roger after all. Good job. Excellent decision, IMO.

rich_eter
Peasant Status

#24 Post by rich_eter » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:06 pm

Yep, SQ4 Roger is definitely the way to go. I wanted to tell you awhile back you should go with it, but... um... that would've revealed what game we were working on over at IA. Anyhoo... the screenshots look great and that SQ4 Roger really looks great in there. Good luck finding more artists and a new scripter! Hey, do you have some scripting knowledge yourself? No better way to learn then just jump in there!

I think that some of the scenes, especially the arcade sequences would be a bitch to script, but ultimately, a huge amount of fun! I love challenges with scripting.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#25 Post by Erpy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:08 pm

So do I. But I must say, that arcade game in the restaurant is something I'd astro chicken out of in a heartbeat.