How many game players new about the Madden curse

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

How many game players new about the Madden curse

#1 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:00 am

I've never been a football fan with exception of Super Bowl advertisements
and Mutant League Football but as you all know I'm a big video game fan so should I be ashamed that I never new about the Madden curse.

Or is it just a football thing that I would naturally not know about. I mean as a gamer should I have been aware of the curse.   :o

greensenshi
Knight Status

#2 Post by greensenshi » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:16 am

You're talking about the fact that every player that's been featured on a box of a annually recurring Madden football game has been injured?

Only knew about it cause someone else mentioned it.  I don't like sports games.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

The curse

#3 Post by Brainiac » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:05 pm

I've been aware of it for quite a long time.  But just like GS, I don't play sports games much.  I don't really care about pro ball all that much anyway; I'm all about the college level.  GO BUCKEYES!

Prio
Knight Status

#4 Post by Prio » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:12 pm

greensenshi wrote:You're talking about the fact that every player that's been featured on a box of a annually recurring Madden football game has been injured?
Actually, injured or "suffered a drop in performance".  Keep in mind that any player that has been featured on the box will be on the box precisely because they're at a high point in their career.  You do the math.

Snopes has a good article on it: http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/maddencurse.asp

Fender178
Knight Status

#5 Post by Fender178 » Thu May 01, 2008 12:48 pm

I knew about it since madden 2001 but the actual Curse didnt start until madden 2002 with Culpepper when he got hurt and it went down the line up to madden 2007. Madden 2008 Yes Vince Young got hurt but it really didnt effect the team's performance. Madden 2009 will break the madden curse finally since Favre is offically retired.

Muadeeb
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Muadeeb » Thu May 01, 2008 2:29 pm

They're doing it as both a cop-out, and to appease Madden's man crush on Favre.  Conversation went something like this...
If we put Favre on the cover, then the Curse will have no recourse!!
Brilliant! (drinks Guiness)

Can we get John to fawn over Favre on every sound bite?
You mean like "He thew a great pass, but he's no Brett Favre"?
The Curse will still find a way to impact Favre's life.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#7 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu May 01, 2008 6:47 pm

to the question the topic poses: I had no idea there was any such thing until I read this thread but it actually does seem interesting. Looking at the link that Prio put up there's a simmilar trend with Campbell soup advertisements. I wonder if the same is true for other sports.