Firefox 3.0 Released Today!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Chief
Knight Status

Firefox 3.0 Released Today!!

#1 Post by Chief » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:27 am

Check out the new version of the great web browser, it's online today at www.firefox.com.
I've tested it out and it's definitely an improvement from the old version and noticeably faster.

Here is a review of all the new features if you're interested in reading about it -

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,23 ... X1K0000530

R.A.B.I.D.
Peasant Status

#2 Post by R.A.B.I.D. » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:22 am

I started using this a few months back when it was still in Beta 5, and it was excellent.

Unfortunately, I has to downgrade back to v2 because of a plug-in that's critical to my duties at a site I moderate — UnPlug, which along with certain Web sites, lets you embed video whether the originating site provides embed codes or not.

Hopefully most old plug-ins will be compatible with Firefox 3 soon.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by Music Head » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:45 am

Is firefox now faster then Safari? I still don't think firefox supports as many web standards.

R.A.B.I.D.
Peasant Status

#4 Post by R.A.B.I.D. » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:07 pm

I'm pretty sure v3 is the fastest browser out there now, from my experience with it. I've tried pretty much every browser out there, on both Mac and PC.

I don't know about standards, but I do think Firefox has the best selection of features and plug-ins.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#5 Post by Music Head » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:11 pm

According to wiki it doens't meet the requirements as much at Safari does on the Acid3 test http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid3 . Passes the acid2 test 100% however.

R.A.B.I.D.
Peasant Status

#6 Post by R.A.B.I.D. » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:10 pm

In my opinion, it's a toss-up. Firefox 3.0 has some excellent new features and an advanced interface, plus tons of plug-ins (provided the 2.0 plug-ins roll over, which I assume they will). The current version of Safari has fewer advanced user interface features than Firefox, and a much smaller selection of plug-ins.

But apparently Safari passes the Acid3 test significantly higher than Firefox 3.0.

If, in the future, they get Firefox 3.0 to a point where it passes Acid3 100%, I think it will be the undisputed king of the hill.

Broomie
The Enigma

#7 Post by Broomie » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:58 pm

Firefox is horrible on my Mac. It's slow, choppy and takes a while to load. Safari is perfect and meets all my needs.

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#8 Post by jpnuar1 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:10 am

Am I the only one then for whom the v3 browser still doesn't pass the Acid 2 test?

Kloreep
Knight Status

#9 Post by Kloreep » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:07 am

Broomie wrote:Firefox is horrible on my Mac. It's slow, choppy and takes a while to load. Safari is perfect and meets all my needs.
I remember reading somewhere that Safari is still king of the performance tests on Mac. Can't remember where, though.

From what I've seen, though, Firefox is the best browser on Windows.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#10 Post by Music Head » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:17 am

jpnuar1 wrote:Am I the only one then for whom the v3 browser still doesn't pass the Acid 2 test?
Perhaps you have various options turned off such as javascript in the options?
kloorep wrote:I remember reading somewhere that Safari is still king of the performance tests on Mac. Can't remember where, though.
Safari litsts it as being the fastest on Windows on Mac, but information was given before Firefox 3 was released, so I don't know which is now faster, probably Firefox. There is a verison of safari available only to developers however which may be faster still.

R.A.B.I.D.
Peasant Status

#11 Post by R.A.B.I.D. » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:27 am

I have both a new-ish gaming PC (3.1 GHz / 4 GB RAM / 8800 GTX / XP SP2) and an iMac that's a couple years old (2.16 GHz / 2 GB RAM / Radeon Mobility [?] / OS X 10.4.11). Good cable Internet connection.

I've used Safari and Firefox on both, in various versions, and I've never really noticed a significant speed difference between either browser on either computer. Firefox was sort of slow-ish a couple years ago, if I recall, but that was two years ago.

Is this a dial-up thing?

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#12 Post by jpnuar1 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:54 pm

Music Head wrote:
jpnuar1 wrote:Am I the only one then for whom the v3 browser still doesn't pass the Acid 2 test?
Perhaps you have various options turned off such as javascript in the options?
Nope, I've got everything enabled... Unless it's still loading the incorrect version from when I had version 2, anyone know whether that could be the issue?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#13 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:49 am

Does anyone know what the hell is wrong with Internet Explorer? it takes about 5 minutes to check my email with while I can be opening 4 different forums on Firefox at the same time.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#14 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:24 pm

I don't understand why more people don't use Opera. It fits all my needs and does everything I want it to do without searching for plug-ins.

I tried FF3 and while it was great, I had to install about 5 plug-ins just to get it to do what Opera does out of the box.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#15 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:49 pm

I used Opera for a little bit on my home theatre but it just didn't run videos like safari could.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#16 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:52 pm

How do you mean videos? Like YouTube and stuff? Everything works fine for me.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#17 Post by Music Head » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:04 am

He probably Quicktime videos/movies, being an apple technology, and Safari being Apple's web browser, the two are probably made to work hand in hand. I know for me when goig to view a quicktime movie in IE it takes quite some time to get the plugin initialized.

QFGF, the reason it might be takin so long for your email to come up is because all your pririty is going to firefox opening up the other four forum pages :P. Either that or perhaps the page your trying to open uses various plugins such as flash (ads) or run various different scripting languages, like alot of the newer email providers do (Hotmail, Gmail - AJAX) and IE takes a while to initiate the code, tho i doubt it. The execuation of javascript however varies significantly between browsers. Plug-ins are what dramtically slow IE's page loading. How long does firefox take to open your email?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#18 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:44 pm

Firefox takes seconds, and to answer what You and Angelus were discussing it was usingYoutube videos on a Mac Mini hooked up to a large LCD TV Where Safari seemed to be working for me much better than Opera, I can't comment on how it fares on my PC though as I haven't tried it.

Chief
Knight Status

#19 Post by Chief » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:59 am

IE has just fallen far behind the times... it's too bad but it's why firefox and opera have become so good!

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:Does anyone know what the hell is wrong with Internet Explorer? it takes about 5 minutes to check my email with while I can be opening 4 different forums on Firefox at the same time.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#20 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:33 am

It's not too bad. I've always hated Internet Explorer. Especially since I learned how to make webpages with CSS. IE can't do CSS right at all.

RC-Cola
Peasant Status

Re: Firefox 3.0 Released Today!!

#21 Post by RC-Cola » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:51 pm

I jumped ship from I.E. in 2003 or 2004 at I think version 6 before the SP2 fixes came out, when popups and spyware were at their worst. Mozilla was a bit slower and a memory hog, but it was worth it as defense against malware. Then I tried the much slimmer Firefox and never looked back. When I use I.E. nowadays it seems a lot better than it used to be, but I've just been married to Firefox since then, as I've gotten quite comfortable with its interface and many plug-ins.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#22 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:54 am

I jumped from IE when when FF one came out but MSN still likes to use it as the default.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#23 Post by Music Head » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:23 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:I jumped from IE when when FF one came out but MSN still likes to use it as the default.
I managed to get WLM/MSN to use my default browser rather then IE. Stuffplug is a 3rd party add on that'll allow it, aswell as other things.

Alliance
Knight Status

#24 Post by Alliance » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:50 pm

Bah. I took part in Download Day.

In my eyes, FF3 is a fantastic browser. Although, Safari is a bit faster on my Hackintosh (You know...Mac OSX on a PC)

Still, I think that Konqueror, Aurora, and Epiphany are all great because they all are integrating Webkit.

Nevertheless, it's not up to me to tell people what to use.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#25 Post by Solarkid » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:12 pm

Yeah, i joined in with download day too, apparently they had massive server overload problems. Still gained a world record though.

I must admit, i see NO difference between FF3 and FF2 apart from a slightly different download manager and a slightly different address bar.

Dave