Best Tierra/AGDI Forum Moments

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Broomie
The Enigma

Best Tierra/AGDI Forum Moments

#1 Post by Broomie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:22 am

There are many veteran forum users here, and although many people have been waiting for the upcoming release of QFG2VGA, only few have stayed here to supple on the 7 year anticipation that we've endured. I decided to make this thread after viewing very old posts of mine here at this very forum (from 2003) and it had me filling up with nostalgia and remembering myself at 14 years old posting on these forums. Back than, the AGD- Tierra forums were so much fun because, let's face it compared to today everyone was just so much happier and nicer on the forums and we'd all play our awesome forum games like 'Continue the Sentence Game' and 'Picture Scavenger Hunt' all because it was fun. The ezboard may have sucked in hindsight but we all loved it, we're still using the same smilie set from the old forums! :hat This was the highlight of the forum which will always remain in our memories as a fun, quirky place which had interesting posts every minute.

Nowerdays? Well, forgive me if I'm wrong but the most popular forum topic now is QFG5 XP compatability issues or... well it's still something to do with Sierra related technical issues either way. What happened to the good old days where we posted our favorite kinds of rocks and actually got serious, positive feedback or just felt like boasting about how we reached our 500th post and treated it as special as our wedding day? Time moved on... nobody cares about things like this. Which is why this thread is so important because it's time to reflect on what really mattered... the golden Tierra days. So, I know we've had similar-ish threads before but now we're at this cruical stage where the community is finally coming back to life and we're all exited again! So why not use this to reflect on those moments which we loved most about those days.

People might find it strange that members of a message board managed to create such a memorable bond but they did. And we all have those special memories so don't keep them to yourself, share them!

For me? Well, I've got a few but Steffi's dream about all the forum members was a lot of fun to read, especially after it turned into a game of cluedo and I ended up murdering Erpy or and shoving his remains in the mailbox... or something along those lines. That might not seem so much fun and more morbid to some people but you had to read the whole thing to appreciate the hilarity of the whole ordeal. But the most memorable moment? Well, the initial JK comes to mind and than thoughts of a demo being downloaded off P2P fileshare networks follows onwards. Can ye' guess what it is yet?

oughtobe

Re: Best Tierra/AGDI Forum Moments

#2 Post by oughtobe » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:07 am

get a life... I hate it when someone tries to ask a serious question and then the thread turns into a 15 page random rant of lets play the random witty irony game.... fucking horrible.... if you want to talk about nonsense, start your own forum about nonsense....

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:07 am

Oughtobe, how about you shut your bloody mouth, you frickin' moron. We've been here for years and Broomie is trying to reminisce on times past with those of us who have been here for years. You've been here all of two weeks. It's people like you who spit venom everywhere they go on people for the fun of it that needs to get a life. He's not trying to start a thread of random crap. That's what you're doing. If you don't like it take your own bag of nonsense and get out of here because we don't need your negativity. I hate it when people like you come along posting crap about something they know absolutely zip about and trying to make themselves look superior. You're the perfect example of how much the forums have degraded over time. We don't need your kind here. Go away.

On Topic: My most memorable post was when Navynuke started that thread called "is anyone interested in this remake?" which was a KQ3 AGS project. Originally conceived to just have AGI graphics with a mouse interface, gradually myself and MuzlakOofMay joined to make an enhanced soundtrack and high quality graphics. The demo we made is still online. Would have been nice if we if actually finished it back then. Oh well.

Here's to good times! Cheers!

Nobara
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Nobara » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:24 am

oughtobe wrote:I hate it when someone tries to ask a serious question and then the thread turns into a 15 page random rant of lets play the random witty irony game....
Lol. You de-railed a thread by bitching about de-railing threads.

NEWAYZ long time lurker (since about 2002) first time poster, here. I didn't take part in it, but the whole Jodo Kast thing made me laugh a lot.

PotatoSlayer
Knight Status

#5 Post by PotatoSlayer » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:48 am

Yeah I'm with MI. oughtobe, if you're gonna be a jerk go to pen island.

My most memorable post was my first one. I was young and asked the question, doesn't Canada suck? I think that thread got deleted cause it got a little heated. Anyways now whenever I visit my family in wisconsin me and my cousin head over the border to drink. Isn't Canada awesome?

oughtobe

#6 Post by oughtobe » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:01 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:Oughtobe, how about you shut your bloody mouth, you frickin' moron. We've been here for years and Broomie is trying to reminisce on times past with those of us who have been here for years. You've been here all of two weeks. It's people like you who spit venom everywhere they go on people for the fun of it that needs to get a life. He's not trying to start a thread of random crap. That's what you're doing. If you don't like it take your own bag of nonsense and get out of here because we don't need your negativity. I hate it when people like you come along posting crap about something they know absolutely zip about and trying to make themselves look superior. You're the perfect example of how much the forums have degraded over time. We don't need your kind here. Go away.
Go away? ignore my posts... just because I have a different opinion and I voice it, does that make me in the wrong? No... I probably don't agree with anything you have to say about anything, but I don't care if you post here, I will just ignore you... That "GO AWAY!" attitude you have is precisely what is wrong with forums on the internet...

oughtobe

#7 Post by oughtobe » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:03 am

Nobara wrote:
oughtobe wrote:I hate it when someone tries to ask a serious question and then the thread turns into a 15 page random rant of lets play the random witty irony game....
Lol. You de-railed a thread by bitching about de-railing threads.
Well actually, this thread has to do more so with the best "de-railing" moment on the forums.... so my reply wasn't really a derailment, moreso a complaint about what this thread is really promoting and reminiscing about.

oughtobe

#8 Post by oughtobe » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:08 am

PotatoSlayer wrote:Yeah I'm with MI. oughtobe, if you're gonna be a jerk go to pen island.
wholey s hit are you witty... i done know, is he? no.

pen island? huh.... seriously, i hope people learn from this thread, that if you don't agree with someone's opinion, just ignore it or voice your opinion and move on, i don't need to leave these forums, and people with different opinions shouldn't be told to leave... it doesn't promote a good environment for discussion, since dissent is such an integral part of a good discussion...

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Tye » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:33 am

Wow, tripple post. I'd definitely say that's against the rules.

As for the topic itself...again...

I haven't been here as long as most of you have, but yeaaarrrrssss ago I joined...and being the dumb teenage kid I was at the time, made up an elaborate story telling you all that I had made a MMO version of QFG that encompassed all 5 QFG's. I then told you that the computer with all this 'data' was struck by lightning, and I was looking for a team to help me in 'recreating' it. *sigh* I still apologize for my idiocy.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#10 Post by Klytos » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:30 am

I don't even understand oughtobe's first post. Typical of any forum when there's an open posting policy. Anyone can post.

Some of my favorite memories are the deep and meaningless conversations about relationships that went on for many pages. People really got to know each other and that was awesome, even if it was only over the internet.

I also loved the whole Jodo Kast thing, not at the time, but now it's a good joke. And I remember fondly the "Save LucasFan" campaign, which could have been stopped at the beginning except that some admins just made vague and nonsensical answers to questions asked. Of course, knowing what I know now, they were under legal constraints to do so.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#11 Post by Spikey » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:23 am

When I first joined this forum, I was so glad I finally found people who liked the same games as I did. It was really an intense online community, with so many interesting different people to meet. To name a few of my favorites:

1. Vildern. Totally insane, heavy poster. Heaviest poster of us all for a long time, really. We all loved him.
2. Meerbat. Was always the one who kept the chat going, sorta meticulous and intelligent. We were always discussing the interdisciplinary of biology and psychology.
3. Swift. Made the famous typo Spokey. Well. Is she still around?
4. Brainiac. Also was often in the chat. Glad you're still around.
5. QfGfan. Always cracked me up. Still does. Glad you're also still here.

Vildern and Meerbat became the best online friends I've known in my life, even though we are not in contact now. Also, I had fun MSN chats with Navynuke, his offspring and his girlfriend.

It sorta felt like we were all living in the same apartment building or something. Distance learns to grow. But now that I've returned, I'm sure I can still feel something of those 'old days' present.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#12 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:09 am

Lots of things.

I do remember the posting spree between Vildern and The Knight. When I was promoted from moderator to administrator, I promised a custom title to the first person getting an x amount of posts. I'm personally not someone who likes to post without having anything to say and naïvely thought everyone was the same. Then the sheer flood of "yeah", "me too" and "LOL"-posts bumped the gold community costs of our EZ boards up to 80 bucks for three months and I had to give our friend with the kitty-poem and our friend with the sticky period-key a daily post-limit. Which was then circumvented by them posting further posts as guests. (which upped the costs, but not their post count :) )

And there was the guy who was named Philthethrill who was the most inquisitive guy I've ever met...and he happened to like Lunar. That certainly upped MY post count back in the days. :D

I remember how Vildern was going to contact Disney to secure the Black Cauldron rights for us...surely they wouldn't refuse if he just asked nicely?

I also remember the King's Quest 4 Ever and Jodo Kast discussions. Crazy stuff.

And the Save Lucasfan period...shudder...don't remind me.

One forum member I miss is our old mod Wolfgang. He had a great sense of humor and was pretty cool guy. He played a major role in QFG2VGA's early development until real-life circumstances made him move on.

I realize and acknowledge Broomie's point, but I think it's not something unique to our forum. Many Sierra-related forums have started to decline somewhat over the years. People eventually move on if the binding factors of a forum (such as QFG2VGA's development) become shaky. We're also getting older and sometimes involved in things that didn't play a role in our life years back.

Broomie
The Enigma

#13 Post by Broomie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:55 am

oughtobe wrote:get a life... I hate it when someone tries to ask a serious question and then the thread turns into a 15 page random rant of lets play the random witty irony game.... fucking horrible.... if you want to talk about nonsense, start your own forum about nonsense....
The problem with this statement is I don't have a bloody clue what you're on about. I'd normally just say the usual 'Shut the hell up' because your attitude is terrible but I don't see a reason (apart from trolling) why this would warrant 15 pages of random rants when the point of the topic is already set. I obviously didn't start another Random Rants thread so I really don't see your point. It's reasons like your posts when it does turn into a thread about nonsense seeing as the intention wasn't to look at the best 'de-railing' moments on the forums but the best forum memories... hardly nonsense to some people.

Point being, if you don't like the way we have discussions and relate to each other just don't bother participating because you end up being the one who needs a life, getting angry at something like this. I shouldn't really even be posting this but if it does get out of hand because you still don't understand than at least we have some moderators who can remove idiocy from this thread.
seriously, i hope people learn from this thread, that if you don't agree with someone's opinion, just ignore it or voice your opinion and move on, i don't need to leave these forums, and people with different opinions shouldn't be told to leave... it doesn't promote a good environment for discussion, since dissent is such an integral part of a good discussion...
There's voicing opinion, and then there is antagonizing other's just because you don't like what they think. Seriously, people don't understand that if you dislike something, it's fine to voice your opinion and say so. But when you say it and oppose others because they like it, that's not voicing an opinion that's just looking for trouble. It's hard to promote a good environment for discussion when immaturity is being mistaken for dissent. Telling me to get a life is hardly a good starter point, just makes me want to ignore anything you say seeing as you probably won't add anything constructive anymore.

*sigh*

Anyway, sorry about that, everyone! Let's get back on topic. How about TakariFreak's crush? Funnily enough she actually momentarily returned to the IA forums after a recent discussion about AGDI had her name mentioned in Google.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#14 Post by Spikey » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:50 am

Funny, I was recently looking for something in relation to AGDI, and also stumbled upon Takari's name. I was really afraid of Takari (jk), but I did like her (especially in the chat). The combination of her fluffy avatar with her sharp personality always reminded me of the Qfg4 killerbunnies. :lol Please come back to us.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#15 Post by Gronagor » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:52 pm

Luckily I've never got involved in any heated discussion.

Quite a few things mentioned above I really enjoyed, but the greatest and most fun time was the SSS: Hero of Infamous Kingdoms era. Heh. AGDI didn't want to be involved because of their agreement with VU, but we managed to make the forum here our main 'target' for the prank. :)

Ah. I miss that month. :)

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#16 Post by Spikey » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:09 pm

We also can't ignore the AGDI April Fool's jokes tradition. There have been great ones of those in the past.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#17 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:15 pm

Yeah, the reverse-psychology prank with the KQ2 voicepack was a nice laugh. And there was the slot machine game where people could win a "developers edition" of Qfg2vga that had debug modes enabled...only the slot machine was rigged to disallow winnings above a certain point, so nobody could reach jackpot.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#18 Post by Brainiac » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:30 pm

Oughtobe:

1. This is the OFF-TOPIC forum. Anything within decency can be discussed here.
2. You're telling people to ignore your posts if they don't agree with you. Ever considered doing the same?
3. You're REALLY coming off as a noob and a jerk. You really should tone it down.

Now then, back to the original question.

I'm actually a bit of a "mid-range" AGDite, I think. Especially compared to some of the oldtimers. Just look at my post count; I've barely cleared a thousand. I joined right before the changeover from EZboards, as I recall. As to my favorite forum moment, I'd have to say some of the lengthy and interesting discussions about almost anything in the chatroom. I kinda miss that thing (even ChatBot, sometimes :lol ). Other than that, I'd say probably my favorite moment was simply watching the fan community for adventure games grow. The creation of IA, the expansion of AGDI's effect through the net, learning about the actual effect on sales of MoE due to KQ1 release...all that stuff brings a happy grin to my face. Along with the April Fools jokes, of course. :lol

To the continuation of the adventure genre, in whatever form it may take. Salut!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#19 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:35 pm

I also remember one of the regulars here making a quick game (with gamemaker or something) involving the avatars of the other regulars. I'm just trying to remember who it was...was it Vildern?

I also remember the first "what we really look like"-thread and how The Knight kept posting fake pictures of himself.

PotatoSlayer
Knight Status

#20 Post by PotatoSlayer » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:38 pm

Haha I remember the slot machine. I wouldn't give up even after I found out it was rigged

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#21 Post by Brainiac » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:43 pm

Erpy wrote:I also remember one of the regulars here making a quick game (with gamemaker or something) involving the avatars of the other regulars. I'm just trying to remember who it was...was it Vildern?
Nope. That was Angelus's Catch the Avatar game. Didn't his first version have a major glitch in it (or was that a different game he put out)?

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#22 Post by Spikey » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:01 pm

The glitch was that I was the bonus level :|

PotatoSlayer
Knight Status

#23 Post by PotatoSlayer » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:51 pm

Didn't Fribbi make a game? I might be wrong but for some reason that's sticking out in my mind.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#24 Post by navynuke04 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:55 pm

Sorry guys. I know how much you were enjoying talking with him, but I grew tired of reading oughtobe's posts.

If I get a chance, I might go back and clean some of his vulgarity up. No time now though....

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#25 Post by Brainiac » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:10 pm

Spikey wrote:The glitch was that I was the bonus level :|
No, I think I got Catch the Avatar confused with another game he made.