What kind of music do you guys like?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Chief
Knight Status

What kind of music do you guys like?

#1 Post by Chief » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:35 am

Just curious .. i'm a big fan myself! My favorite music pretty much is blues, rock, classic rock and some heavy bands. I also like world music a lot and reggae.

i'll list some specific bands later on, i have to run right now..

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

Re: What kind of music do you guys like?

#2 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:40 am

Steely Dan and Supertramp are pretty cool.

"The Royal Scam" is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Stevie Wonder is wonderous... the early stuff. Late 60's and 70's..... Songs in the Key of Life... etc.

Bt

Chief
Knight Status

#3 Post by Chief » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:52 pm

let's see, some of my favs are:

my morning jacket, alice in chains, the black crowes, calexico, guns n' roses, led zeppelin, jimi hendrix, the jayhawks, rolling stones

anyone else?

MeshGearFox
Peasant Status

#4 Post by MeshGearFox » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:19 am

Right now I'm listening to a Czech band called swordfishtrombones.

Anyway some of my favorite albums:

Boards of Canada - Music has the Right to Children
Augie March - Strange Bird
Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel - Human Menagerie
Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, are you The Destroyer?
Guided by Voices - Alien Lanes
Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues
Joanna Newsom - Ys
Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
The Knife - Silent Shout
Ghost - Hypnotic Underworld
Burial - Untrue

Also some other things. Mainly videogame music: I like pretty much everything by Yasunori Mitsuda (songs I don't like exist but are exceptions). Zuntata's also muchly loved. Fond of music in Maxis' games too (including the SimEarth SNES soundtrack which wasn't done by Maxis I guess).

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#5 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:41 pm

I like Relient K, Coheed and Cambria, Weezer, Bad Religion, Joe Walsh, CCR The White Stripes and very little else.

Asrai
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Asrai » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:56 pm

MeshGearFox wrote:Joanna Newsom - Ys
Very cool album. Definitely one of the more unique sounds I've heard in a while.

Hmmm... it is woefully difficult for me to acquire new music or even hear about new music these days, so I guess I'll just list a few (or perhaps several) of my all time favorites in no particular order:

Radiohead
Muse
Interpol
Portishead
Weezer (have they come out with an album since Maladroit? And does it suck? Cause... well.. I mean... the Green Album... really! :rolleyes )
Foo Fighters
Garbage
A Perfect Circle
Tori Amos
NIN (Gotta support the home-town boy)
The Smashing Pumpkins
The Beatles (Can't forget them now can we?)
Veruca Salt
Siouxsie and the Banshees
The Cure
Modest Mouse
The Prodigy

Umm... yeah, I think I'll stop now.

Broomie
The Enigma

#7 Post by Broomie » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:40 pm

Muse. My number one favorite band. I've seen them live twice and they are amazing. Gotta see them again soon!

I have a wide variety of taste in music. I'm not partial to a genre of music like some people but I do prefer faster, more hardcore music to soft, slow music although saying that I'm a huge fan of classical music. I haven't actually met anyone my age who likes classical music so I find it strange why people find it embarrasing or stupid but some people need to follow the trend of 'NOT HAVING AN INDIVIDUAL OPINION.'

I could list of number of bands but I have a huge preference which I simply cannot be bothered to list as it would take me all night but I've got similar tastes to Asrai.

pikaporeon
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by pikaporeon » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:43 pm

Lets play list 3/4 of the music no oen else has heard of

Circle Takes the Square, Saetia, Dir en grey, Envy, Heaven in her Arms, Brand New, Coheed and Cambria, Radiohead, Muse, Pixies, Deadseraphim, I Would Set Myself On Fire For You, Refused, Hot Cross, Orchid

Luna
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Luna » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:14 pm

Hhmmm.....

Tristania (Absolute unquestionable favorites competed against only by Nightwish), Nightwish, Within Temptation, Serenia, The Crüxshadows, Xandria (Beautiful music so worth checking out... try the song "India"), Autumn Tears, Vanessa Mae, Epica, Qntal, Ego Likeness (Ego Likeness has some of the best Darkwave music you could hope to come accross, the only competition in my heart for that place is from the Cruxshadows), Enya, Rain Fell, Edenbridge, watching Pop Gear got me into Billie Davis via This song, Autumn, Skinny Puppy, Tapping the Vein, Luxt, Katatonia, Lords of Acid, Conjure One try out the song "Center of the Sun, Loreena McKennitt, Moist, Echoes of Eternity, Placebo, some Sugarcult, Skunk Anansie, Collide, Earshot, Tori Amos, bôa, DJ Sammy, Yoko Kanno, Bella Morte (look up a song called "Dust" by them, it's beautiful), Utada Hikaru a current favorite of hers is called "Beautiful World" but "You Make Me Want to be A Man" is fun too as are others, Otep, Caroline's Spine is great for silly songs like "Necro" and "Trio'Pain" but also for more serious ones like "Sullivan", Ольга Витальевна Яковлева (Origa), Maximum the Hormone, 女子十二樂坊 (Joshi Juni Gakubou) is lovely... Listen?, and so many more that it would be quite insane to try and list them all.

I imagine it's all pretty typical stuff though. I don't explore much musically.

Asrai
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by Asrai » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:31 pm

@pikaporeon, I really hope that more than 1/4 of the people out there have heard of the Pixies... They're the Pixies! Velouria has the most interesting lyrics I've ever heard. And as for Radiohead and Muse, I think it would be harder to find someone who hasn't heard of them... Or am I misunderstanding you? Do you mean that people haven't heard of 3/4 of your list? Ah, on second reading, I'm thinking that is what you mean... so umm.... nm... :o

@Luna I think you might enjoy a band called Rhea's Obsession, I like the album Between Earth and Sky. My sister went and deleted the Bella Morte album I had on the computer. :( and Collide! Love them. I completely destroyed a cassette copy of Beneath the Skin from playing it too much.

@Broomie, I'm so jealous! They came to Taipei (I live at the opposide end of the island) a while ago, but I really didn't feel like trekking all the way up there alone, and I hadn't been here long so I didn't know anybody that I could convince to go with me at the time. I hope they come back, or at least are touring in my area when I move back to the US.

Luna
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Luna » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:39 pm

Asrai wrote:@Luna I think you might enjoy a band called Rhea's Obsession, I like the album Between Earth and Sky. My sister went and deleted the Bella Morte album I had on the computer. :( and Collide! Love them. I completely destroyed a cassette copy of Beneath the Skin from playing it too much.
I'd take the tip, but it's already been taken. I like them quite well. :)

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#12 Post by Spikey » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:12 pm

Current top 10 most listened to least listened;

1. P.J. Harvey;
2. Patrick Wolf;
3. Radiohead;
4. Pink Floyd;
5. The Knife;
6. Suzanne Vega;
7. Eels;
8. An Pierlé;
9. Tori Amos;
10. Nada Surf;

Chief
Knight Status

#13 Post by Chief » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:43 pm

i love radiohead and muse is pretty good too. oh and a perfect circle and tool are great!!!

some very interesting choices here.. i'll have to check them out once i finish qfg2!

pikaporeon
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by pikaporeon » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:29 pm

Asrai wrote:@pikaporeon, I really hope that more than 1/4 of the people out there have heard of the Pixies... They're the Pixies! Velouria has the most interesting lyrics I've ever heard. And as for Radiohead and Muse, I think it would be harder to find someone who hasn't heard of them... Or am I misunderstanding you? Do you mean that people haven't heard of 3/4 of your list? Ah, on second reading, I'm thinking that is what you mean... so umm.... nm... :o
Its more that the more obscure bands on my list [Circle Takes the Square et al], are less likely to be known.

I rushed the post and didnt do proper math on it; I'd more likely ballpark that about 2/3 of my list others havn't heard of [10/15]

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#15 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:48 pm

Mike Oldfield, Delirious?, U2, Jean Michel Jarre, Tangerine Dream, Jerry Goldsmith, Danny Elfman, John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Mark Seibert, Clint Bajakien, Ken Allen, Chris Brayman, Aubrey Hodges, Tom and Dianne Lewandowski, among others...

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#16 Post by DrJones » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:05 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Mike Oldfield, Delirious?, U2, Jean Michel Jarre, Tangerine Dream, Jerry Goldsmith, Danny Elfman, John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Mark Seibert, Clint Bajakien, Ken Allen, Chris Brayman, Aubrey Hodges, Tom and Dianne Lewandowski, among others...
I see very, very good taste here. :)

Though most of Danny Elfman's music hears the same for me, and I got totally disillusioned with his Charlotte's Web (bought it thinking it was the OST of the old cartoon :p)

As you seem to enjoy composers that have worked on cinema, I recommend you to listen to Henry Mancini, that man was truly a genius! Ennio Morricone is also surprisingly missing from that list, but I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I have been enjoying lately the works of John Philip Sousa, and also the Red Army's Chorus.
EDIT: and Andrew LLoyd Webber, too. :smokin

Fender178
Knight Status

#17 Post by Fender178 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:22 pm

Pretty much everything that inst Hip hop or sucky Rap.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#18 Post by Music Head » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:13 pm

In no particular order, cept for Placebo :D.

!Placebo!
Pendulum
Freestylers
Chemical Brothers
Fatboy Slim
Garbage
Grinspoon
Faker
Dandy Warhols
Wombats