QFG5 Chief Thief help? (many spoilers)

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Goilveig
Knight Status

QFG5 Chief Thief help? (many spoilers)

#1 Post by Goilveig » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:30 am

OK, for the life of me I can't get Elsa to take me to rob Minos. I didn't show her the thief sign before the rites began (doh). She does come into my room at night (after starting the Rite of Peace) to tell me of how she suspects Minos, I flash the sign then, but she never comes back on any subsequent nights. This is true whether I sleep there before or after Atlantis.

As for general thief things, I robbed the bank the first time (didn't do the second yet). I entered into the Chief Thief contest and paid enough that everyone else folded. I robbed the empty house completely. All stats max (except swimming, but that's not an issue, and of course as a thief my honor's rock bottom). Nawar's being well courted but won't accept my proposal yet (as she won't until Justice). I raised Katrina from the dead (because she totally b*tchslaps that dragon). I took credit for the Hydra rather than giving credit to Elsa. I haven't tried to woo Elsa or Katrina at all, just Nawar.

What trigger am I missing for this event? Is it really that I didn't catch Elsa in the Guild on day 3? Do I really have to replay 16 days of game to get this job?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: QFG5 Chief Thief help? (many spoilers)

#2 Post by Erpy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:44 pm

I think it really is giving Elsa the sign as soon as you can.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#3 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:40 pm

On a slightly related note, I always wondered what Elsa's class was anyway. As far as I can tell, she's a Fighter hybrid with some Thief skill(s). Which ones, I don't know. Probably not Pick Locks, since she always leaves that job to the Hero in QfGV.

Also, Magnum Opus seems to have acrobatics, and he can make kicks while holding his sword, whereas the Hero needs to be unarmed... that's not fair :p

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:06 pm

Elsa is a fighter with some thief skills who has the ethics of a fighter. She seems capable of being stealthy and can definitely pick locks (as you can see during the rite of Justice), but seems unwilling to use those skills for dishonest purposes.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#5 Post by Goilveig » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:38 am

Ah, think I figured out my problem, had two of them in fact. Not only did I not give the thief sign to Elsa, I forgot to talk to Ferrari at his rare appearance in the Dead Parrot after Ugarte's poisoning.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#6 Post by Goilveig » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:04 am

Yep, doing those two worked.

Though a bit disappointed at some of the loot -- the hero has a real eye for picking up crap. Like a 2500 quark statue that sells for a measly 100 drachmas, where he could have just taken 2500 drachmas from the piles and piles of money bags, carried the same weight, and made 25 times the profit.

adeyke

#7 Post by adeyke » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:31 am

I think it's mostly that Arestes gives really bad rates. You can try to fence jewelry you've legally bought. The Hera's Ring, which costs 500 drachmas, and which Sarra will buy back for 250, will only get you 25 from Arestes. If the stolen items are similarly worth ten times what he's offering, they could actually be somewhat valuable.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#8 Post by Brainiac » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:09 pm

Honestly, it makes sense. A fence has to factor both the actual worth of an item and the potential costs of having said item. Frankly, anything obviously unique and stolen has to be melted down and sold for parts or sent far away through the Guild's network. Either way, it means a severe profit reduction for the fence and thus a lower offer to the thief. After all, Arestes is the only fence in town - he can dictate prices. At least until you become Chief Thief. :p