Anyone played the new Metal Gear Solid or Fallout 3?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

gargin
Royal Servant Status

Anyone played the new Metal Gear Solid or Fallout 3?

#1 Post by gargin » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:55 pm

Ever since I have bought my PS3 I have been waiting for a decent game to come out on it! Recently they released a new Metal Gear solid game and also Fallout 3 a couple days ago. I am really considering purchasing these, has anyone had a chance to play them? If so, are they worth buying?

Hope to hear from someone.

Gargin

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

Re: Anyone played the new Metal Gear Solid or Fallout 3?

#2 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:53 pm

MGS4 is fantastic although a little short and loooong cutscenes.

Just got Fallout 3 so I'll let you know.

GTAIV is a must though, also check out LittleBigPlanet!

EDIT: Just played a couple hours of Fallout... Amazing! If my cousin hadn't bought it. I would have!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#3 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:22 pm

I was just in a discussion actually about whether Fallout 3 or MGS4 was going to be game of the year and honestly I've been such a fan of both series since their inception (95 and 97... well 87 technically but whose counting) and I can't really pick between the two. I will say that Fallout has drained away a large piece of my life already. Story wise they're both spectacular. Graphics wise they're on par as being the best looking games ever released. Voice wise they both have great performances Jennifer Hale and Phil LaMarr on one hand or Malcolm McDowell on the other... it's really a very hard decision between the two. MGS4 almost got me to buy a PS3 by itself but luckily I had a friend lend hers for a week. Being someone who knows both games inside out I would say it comes down to whether you like a storyline of an insurgent halting nuclear war or a survivor after a 50s-esque one. If you're looking for longevity though Fallout is the way to go. You also have to look at what kind of game types you prefer. Fallout is an FPS with large RPG elements that guarantees addictive game play and MGS is a stealth game with large Action elements that also guarantees addictive game play. Both games are on the short list of games that made me go "I've missed an appointment because of this game... and I missed by 4 hours or more before I noticed."

In short get both and don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by gargin » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:51 pm

I actually ended up picking up both of them just like you said! Also it turns out the new Silent Hill was released so I got that too. (I am not good at moderating lol)

Since I purchased the PS3 there have only been about 5 games I was waiting for:
Final Fantasy 13
New Metal Gear Solid
New Fallout 3
New Silent Hill
New Resident Evil

Last night I made the decision to buy these the minute I saw them since it's likely these will be the only games I buy for a looong time.

Since I didn't have a whole lot of time last night prior to my fiance coming home I decided to play Silent Hill : Homecoming since I figured it would be a bit easier to stop playing. So far it seems like a pretty cool game and looks good, I am looking forward to progressing further. If anyone is interested I will give a more detailed review of the games later when I have had a chance to really experience them.

This morning I was going to try playing Metal Gear Solid while my fiance took a shower but didn't count on the install process. Although I have two things to say about it what I saw during the install...
1. The graphics are AMAZING!!
2. Snake has a problem, he smoked 3 butts in the eight minutes it took to install the game!

These are the first games I have purchased since I moved in with my fiance, back in the day I would have been up at least half the night trying each game individually for hours! It's amazing how times change.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Gargin

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#5 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:23 pm

if I had one gripe with the play through of MGS4 it was the installs though. Every time you hit new game there's an 8 minute install followed by 3 minutes at the end of each act. That's 20 minutes of install for every play through which is kind of embarassing considering a "second run" with cut scene skipping can be done in under five hours with speed runs coming closer to 3. Still at least the first play through is more than 20 hours. MGS4 took me almost exactly 25 hours to beat the first time on the Solid Normal setting and Fallout 3 took just over 24:16 on Normal but it had much less dialogue. Seems our taste in games are pretty in sync though. I'm also waiting on RE5 and FF13 although I've never been a Silent Hill fan. I heard the new one isn't as good as the second one but hey what do I know anyways.

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by gargin » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:16 pm

Yeah, sounds like we do have similar tastes!

As for Silent Hill, I have always been interested in the story for the games and somewhat hated the game play. Part of the reason I bought this one was because I believed it would have really good graphics and a good story. So far those two things are true but I was also hoping the game would be more playable.
The combat and control system has improved slightly, the main character can now dodge and string combos. Now at first glance this seemed great to me! That was until I realized that many of the monsters are frustratingly difficult. Alex may have some "moves" but the monsters, especially the dogs also are smarter and so far I have a lot of trouble dodging them. Combine this fact with the sparse healing items, ammo, and far apart save points and the game is a pain in the ass.

So far I have been very happy with the other two games, I really can't wait to find some time to invest in Fallout 3. Despite what the reviews stated I find the game to be pretty engrossing. I do kind of wish they had more monsters and a stronger emphasis on leveling up like other RPG's but it's all good.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#7 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:15 am

I thought the leveling up was just fine in Fallout 3 the problem is that you can get your character really overpowered forcing your hand on the difficulty slider as it goes on. Most complaints were about the bugs in the game of which there are many. Hopefully these will be patched soon.

Maxor127
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Maxor127 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:23 am

I have a feeling GTA4 will snag game of the year. I haven't played MGS4 yet since I don't have a PS3. I'm planning on getting Fallout 3 eventually for PC. I've been busy with other games so far.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#9 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:25 pm

I don't know. MGS4 has stayed in my mind more than GTA has. I had a lot of fun with GTAIV when I first got it but I don't really think it's game of the year. This is possibly the biggest year in video game history though and everyone seems to be ruling out Wrath of the Lich King.