What aspect ratio was this game meant to be played at?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

ribald_om
Peasant Status

What aspect ratio was this game meant to be played at?

#1 Post by ribald_om » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:44 pm

What aspect ratio was this game made to be played in?

If it's 4:3, is it actually possible to play this way without the use of a 4:3 CRT monitor?

I've made attempts to play this remake over the years, but what looks like stretched art and the fact that none of the graphical options help has stopped me every time.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

Re: What aspect ratio was this game meant to be played at?

#2 Post by navynuke04 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:12 am

If you run the setup program (I believe its acsetup.exe), there is a section for display options. You can run the game in a window and then use scaling to make it larger. I think I was running it with the 4x nearest neighbor filter.

adeyke

#3 Post by adeyke » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:01 am

The game was made in 320x200 4:3, both to match the VGA style and to be able to use art assets based on those of the original games. This unfortunately means that it has non-square pixels, so rendering it with square pixels will make it look squished. The only way to get the art to look non-squished and pixel-perfect on a display with square pixels would be to render it at (an integer multiple of) 1600x1200, but I don't think AGS will let you do that.

ribald_om
Peasant Status

#4 Post by ribald_om » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:58 pm

navynuke04 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:12 am If you run the setup program (I believe its acsetup.exe), there is a section for display options. You can run the game in a window and then use scaling to make it larger. I think I was running it with the 4x nearest neighbor filter.
None of these solutions have ever worked. They just allow you to play the game stretched horizontally, inset inside a 4:3 window.

The actual solution now seems to be to play the game in ScummVM.

It's just nuts to me that all this work was made to make QfG 2 look amazing but without any way to play it in the proper aspect ratio. All the footage and youtube vides of this game are stretched and it's just kinda tragic.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:21 pm

I'm not sure any of the KQ2VGA+ background assets (or backgrounds assets new in KQ3Redux) were created with aspect ratio correction in mind though. So it's a bit of a mixed bag between faithfully recreating the original art and the all new art for the added scenes. Overall, I'd say KQ1VGA and QFG2VGA are 4:3 games (even though dialogue portraits will be wrong since they're all new), KQ2VGA+ would be mostly 16:9 because most of the graphics are new, and KQ3Redux would be somewhere in the middle.