FF-related stuff

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:27 pm

That's why Final Fantasy IV is my favourite story wise. Because although there are a little over ten characters to play as and only 5 in the group at one time you never get to control who is in the party because FF4 is the only one were some characters die. Sometimes you think they die and come back. Zome sacrifice themselves for you and some just plain old hate you and run off only to return more powerful. If I ever got to play QFGIV it'd probably be my favorite because of that

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

FF4

#2 Post by Brainiac » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:42 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:That's why Final Fantasy IV is my favourite story wise. Because although there are a little over ten characters to play as and only 5 in the group at one time you never get to control who is in the party because FF4 is the only one were some characters die. Sometimes you think they die and come back. Zome sacrifice themselves for you and some just plain old hate you and run off only to return more powerful. If I ever got to play QFGIV it'd probably be my favorite because of that
FF4 is not the only one with variant protagonists who occasionally die; FF2, FF5, FF6, and FF7 immediately come to mind. QFG4 does indeed have the element of sacrifice paramount in the character development, so I'm sure you would indeed enjoy the game if the theme of personal sacrifice is an enjoyable plot development for you.

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#3 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:12 am

FF7 too me is still my game PERIOD of all time. I loved how villains would come and go in the story, Cloud's breakdown, and of course the final smackdown.

Wolfgang Abenteuer

#4 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:14 am

But FFVII is really the only one where a character you get to choose can die. In FF2, people leave your party (and rejoin, in the case of Layla and Gordon) but you have no say in when it happens. FF5, Galuf dies and you just LEAVE THE SCREEN and Krile comes in to replace him. Not very dramatic IMO, but nonetheless, you cannot really control who is in your party and who isn't. FFVI, I'm assuming you're speaking of Leo, and again, you never really get to choose him to be in your party. He is (too briefly - I would LOVE to have his Shock ability without using a Game Genie :p ) forced into your party and dies soon after.

Aeris in FFVII was an anomaly in that you could choose when and when not to use her (ToA excluded, of course), so you never really got the feeling that something would happen to her. Quite a shocker for Square to do that, but it's an event that you won't ever forget if you've been a lifelong FF freak (*points to self*).

BTW, why is it that only the really powerful characters die/change sides/leaves/etc.?

•(FFII) Minh: Knows a ton of magic immediately (albeit mostly curative, but still)
•(FFIV) Tellah: FINALLY has the potential to be useful after learning Meteo, and dies immediately upon using it.
•(FFVI) Leo: Can use Shock. 'Nuff said.
•(FFVII) Aeris: Can completely restore your party to full health AND make them invincible.
•(FFVII) Sephiroth: Well, you can use him in the Kalm flashback and he's godlike, so NATURALLY you can't keep using him in the game!
•(Earthbound) Buzz buzz: Dies from fighting Starman Jr. (or actually, when Ness' mom swats him with the flyswatter IIRC). Damn that little guy could attack.
•(Lunar: SSS) Ghaleon: Okay, well he's the main bad guy, so I guess you shouldn't be able to use him for too long, but still.
•(Lunar: SSS) Laike/Dyne: You at least get to use him twice, but for a limited time only.
•(The 7th Saga) All apprentices: Well, they can't ALL join you, but aside from LUX they can all fight you, and they're ass-kicking powerful for the most part. When they join you, where's all that pwnage?!
•(Dragon Warrior IV) Healie: Okay, so he's actually a "hireling" of sorts, but he can heal like mad. He ends up as a human in Chapter 5 (or maybe even Chapter IV...I think he was outside Keeleon Castle in Chapter IV, but it's been a while) so why won't he join up? Grrr...
•(Breath of Fire 3) Teepo: Hey, another dragon clan member! We can't have TWO people with that gnarly ability AND the ability to use the best weapons in the game! Let's have them fight each other so one of them dies! D'oh!
•(Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) Dekar: He's big. He's burly. He can use swords and axes, nearly any armour, and has an insane amount of HP. Naturally, HE DIES!

And I know I'm missing a million of them because there are a lot of RPG's I haven't had a chance to play, but you get the idea. What's that all about?

Oh, and as for my favourite QFG, it's hard to say. I can't really commit to a favourite because I like 'em all for their own reasons. My least favourite would be QFGV because I didn't care for the over-empahsis on fighting, but it was still a good game in its own right.

~Wolfgang

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

VI

#5 Post by Brainiac » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:16 am

I was thinking of Leo but also of Shadow. Granted, it is possible to keep him alive between the World of Balance and the World of Ruin, but most people let him die the first time around (usually because they don't wait for him long enough).

Wolfgang Abenteuer

#6 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:24 am

Yeah, Shadow was another good one. Of course, the game almost expects Shadow to die, because when you find him in the cave on the Veldt in the WoR, the caption (in the SNES version anyway...can't remember if they corrected it in the PS Anthology) mentions taking "her" back to Thamasa, because if Shadow dies then Relm is the one in that cave instead. Still, yeah, I also let Shadow unwittingly die, too. I was pissed when I found out later that you could save him because he was my second favourite character to use (Cyan is my first because he's a samurai and samurais are cool :D). Well, it was just another reason to replay it, I suppose!

~Wolfgang

Jafar
Super Star

#7 Post by Jafar » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:52 am

Pokeys mom is the one who killed Buzz-Buzz.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:45 am

•(Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) Dekar: He's big. He's burly. He can use swords and axes, nearly any armour, and has an insane amount of HP. Naturally, HE DIES!
Actually, he does not. Just before you head over to the floating fortress, the town you're in gets overrun with monsters and he arrives and starts beating them up.

And I must admit FFIV's dying started losing a bit of credibility since everyone who left the party was presumed dead, but they always returned, unless you saw someone die. :)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#9 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:07 am

i thought it was cool and everyone hated Aeris (don't discuss this Aeris lovers) but did we fail to mention the death of Auron and Tidus at the end of FFX? even id the game was over VIVI dies also. in 6 i wish more died there was what? 16 plable caracters at the end? but I like 4 the best for story 6 for gameplay and they had the best magic system. Im gonna shutuo before this becomes more illegble im sleeping now ZZZZ

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#10 Post by Gronagor » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:52 am

Never played it...
Last edited by Gronagor on Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#11 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:15 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:i thought it was cool and everyone hated Aeris (don't discuss this Aeris lovers) but did we fail to mention the death of Auron and Tidus at the end of FFX? even id the game was over VIVI dies also. in 6 i wish more died there was what? 16 plable caracters at the end? but I like 4 the best for story 6 for gameplay and they had the best magic system. Im gonna shutuo before this becomes more illegble im sleeping now ZZZZ
Well Auron was already dead. And Tidus isn't necessarily dead (I haven't played FFX2) yet. FF7 was my first FF games, and I was shocked when they killed Aeris.

Jafar
Super Star

#12 Post by Jafar » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:26 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:i thought it was cool and everyone hated Aeris (don't discuss this Aeris lovers) but did we fail to mention the death of Auron and Tidus at the end of FFX? even id the game was over VIVI dies also. in 6 i wish more died there was what? 16 plable caracters at the end? but I like 4 the best for story 6 for gameplay and they had the best magic system. Im gonna shutuo before this becomes more illegble im sleeping now ZZZZ
I know you said not to discuss this, but how could you hate Aeris when she can make you invincible?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#13 Post by Erpy » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:47 pm

I think it's better to get back on topic and create an FF-thread in the OT forum if you wish.

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#14 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:38 pm

Erpy wrote:I think it's better to get back on topic and create an FF-thread in the OT forum if you wish.
Can you move this stuff there if we create one?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#15 Post by Erpy » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:02 pm

I can't merge topics, but I can create a new one out of the FF-related ones here.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#16 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:26 pm

Where the hell did this thread come from??? 8o 8o

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#17 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:33 pm

Angelus3K wrote:Where the hell did this thread come from??? 8o 8o
The QFG poll.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Woo-hoo!

#18 Post by Brainiac » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:37 am

Sweet. Let the great discussion of FF-philosophy begin! 8o :lol

Jafar
Super Star

#19 Post by Jafar » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:38 am

Aeris rules and they killed her to make the game harder.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Yeesh

#20 Post by Brainiac » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:43 am

Jafar wrote:Aeris rules and they killed her to make the game harder.
I'm not touching that hornet's nest; you want to discuss the significance of Aeris, come chat.

Jafar
Super Star

#21 Post by Jafar » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:44 am

No. a hornets nest, is trying to revive Aeris.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Yeah, right

#22 Post by Brainiac » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:46 am

Jafar wrote:No. a hornets nest, is trying to revive Aeris.
What's the big deal?

Aeris after Disc 1 in three steps:
1. Buy a GameShark/Action Replay/Codebreaker.
2. Get the appropriate code(s) to place Aeris in your party.
3. Play the game with codes.

Simple, no? ;)

Jafar
Super Star

#23 Post by Jafar » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:49 am

If you want to simply mess up the game...

Wolfgang Abenteuer

#24 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:03 am

The game will hang before the whirlwind maze if she is in your party (when Tifa forces herself into your party), and will hang indefinitely before the fight with Sephiroth (unavoidable) if you Gameshark her into your party.

Just a little experience. She does make Emmy a bit easier, though. ;)

BTW, for fun, go into FFIV, fly your airship to Toroia, grab a yellow chocobo from the forest in the north, take him south of the southern river to the south-western coast of the continent and dismount. Now save your game.

INSTA-SCREWED! :D (again, from experience :p).

~Wolfgang

Skyshark
Knight Status

#25 Post by Skyshark » Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:42 am

I always kept wondering if there was some secret way to bring Aeris back to life after she gets killed by Sephiroth at the end of Disc 1, but in some uber hard, obscure way. For example, I imagined a sequence in the basement of the beach house you can buy in Costa Del Sol (for 200,000 gil or some crazy number) where everyone performed a ritual or something to bring her back to life using obscure items like 24 1/24 Shinra Soldiers or something crazy.

Then of course, I remember some strange thing I found on the net involving digging up some item in the Ancient's digging site on the northern continent and then getting back into Midgar earlier somehow, trading an item with some kid to help her brother or something in exchange for another item, and then you run back into the church where you first met her and do something there. It was proved to be false, though.

Final Fantasy VII also holds a place in my heart, as that was the first ever game I played on the PS1 and the main reason why I got it (I hired both out for New Years Eve several months before I got both for my birthday and fell in love with it). Final Fantasy VIII, however, felt a little sterile in comparison. Final Fantasy IX made up for that, though. :D

Did anyone have a particular favourite town in FFVII? Wutai would've been my favourite place to live.