Chrono Trigger in 3D

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Randomizm
Peasant Status

Chrono Trigger in 3D

#1 Post by Randomizm » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:32 am

opcoder is re-making chrono trigger in 3d! Its currently labeled "Chrono Trigger: Ressurection" and is due out by christmas. The game itself wont be the full title, rather a ten piece demo featuring 10 of the best scenes from the game. Yes, it will be playable.
These guys are serious too, they got a guy who worked on the face's of neo and agent smith from "The Matrix" to help out on the project. Check it out evryone! :hat http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:52 am

Wow. Looking quite good. :D

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Still going...

#3 Post by Brainiac » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:12 am

Yeah, I heard about this project a while back. Good to know it's still going strong. The idea has merit; I'm just worried the Square-Enix lawyers will find out and clamp down like those working for LucasArts...

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#4 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:57 pm

Okay, maybe I'm freaky-deeky, but I would, 100% of the time, anyday of the week, any year of the millenia, rather play the original SNES version of this game ANYDAY. It's a classic. It rocks. It will never go bad, change, or need any improvement in my eyes.

It's like watching Hitchcock's PSYCHO or watching Gus Van Sant's 1998 remake. Useless. The original was a classic, and can still be viewed as such.

Now, that said, the work they HAVE done looks pretty damn amazing. I hope the 3-D fanboys haven't stained their shorts too much!

Bt

Jafar
Super Star

#5 Post by Jafar » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:49 am

Okay, maybe I'm freaky-deeky, but I would, 100% of the time, anyday of the week, any year of the millenia, rather play the original SNES version of this game ANYDAY. It's a classic. It rocks. It will never go bad, change, or need any improvement in my eyes.
Naw, I feel the same way. Some games don't need remakes... It looks good though.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#6 Post by Spikey » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:44 pm

Some games do not need remakes, but maybe they can coexist peacefully and you can play the one that suits your mood at any given point.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#7 Post by Charlemagne » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:28 am

I agree. Look at the QFG3D guys. I don't mind a little choice in my adventure gaming experience. It's also great that this project seems to be making real progress. All too often, remakes are like roman candles: they start with a bang then quickly fizzle out.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#8 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:37 pm

umm. this forum was made by people remaking games for your pleasure and then some of you say reamkes are never good? well someone's a hypocrite

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#9 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:32 pm

Heh. No, no.

Some games, in my opinion, don't REQUIRE remakes.

Not to say that these remakes won't be fun, or even really cool.

Personally, I think Chrono Trigger, as is, is a masterpiece, and doesn't need any updating. I think the graphics are part of it's charm, and also I reallty don't like 3D graphics all that much.

But, like I said, this remake looks AWESOME, and it's obviously being handled by some people who really love it. I just don't really see the need, but why do people climb Mount Everest?

Because it's there.

Bt

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#10 Post by Erpy » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:37 pm

Funny you should say that. Climbing Mt. Everest is one of the AGD's ambitions.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#11 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:30 pm

Erpy wrote:Funny you should say that. Climbing Mt. Everest is one of the AGD's ambitions.
Somehow, I can imagine that.

Bt

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#12 Post by Charlemagne » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:20 pm

But after QFG2VGA, Everest should be a piece of cake, right? :lol

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#13 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:49 am

^ this is true. ok bt didn't mean to start a mini rant i just didn't get where you were coming from

Crowley9
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by Crowley9 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:02 pm

This seemed like a good enough reason to resurrect this thread: The Chrono Trigger Resurrection has received a "Cease and Desist" letter from Square-Enix. They managed to put together a trailer of the project, which can be downloaded from the site, which may be the end of what we'll see.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#15 Post by Erpy » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:55 pm

In all the fan-generated enthusiasm, people tend to easily forget how vulnerable fanprojects really are. It's always a real shame to see so much work go to waste. (it really looked nice, btw)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#16 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:56 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOO i was reaaly looking forward to that. CT is my favorite RPG of all time in fact it was the motivation for me to learn how to read. ( I think that was mentioned before) It really sucks that the game is shut down. I'd like to see that letter (notices Bt's handwriting) anyways after Bt is taken away kicking and screaming as asked for I'd like to take a moment to review that trailer.

Not only did the trailer show extreme work but it looke like it could've upstaged the original. Now i was all for the "never as good as the masterpiece" thing but i think this one could have given it a run for it's money granted it is 8 or so years later. I personally thought the directing was superb the way chrono ran to face of against Magus looked a lot like the Snes version intede3d but could never do kinda thing. Now i do know the game was only supposed to be the top ten highlights and I'm not even sure if it was even playable but still looked just as interesting. Now i would like to take this time to write up an essay for school because I think I'm on a roll :rollin Now that's a roll

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Re: Still going...

#17 Post by Brainiac » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:18 am

Saw it coming...
Brainiac wrote:Yeah, I heard about this project a while back. Good to know it's still going strong. The idea has merit; I'm just worried the Square-Enix lawyers will find out and clamp down like those working for LucasArts...
See? It's a pity, but hardly unexpected. Now if Square-Enix would just get off their collective cans and make Chrono Break...

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#18 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:10 pm

Square-Enix could just hire these guys for the remake, and pay them cheap....

Anyway, saw this coming six miles away. Square is still a prevalent company. Sierra is dead.

Bt

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

#19 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:47 pm

I hate corporations. :evil >: :cry

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#20 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:58 pm

Perhaps you're better off disliking the excerpt of copyright law that says corporations will lose their trademarks against unauthorized use unless they defend them.

1eyedParrot
Knight Status

#21 Post by 1eyedParrot » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:25 pm

I really doubt they've stopped working on it. It's more likely that their just not being public about it.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#22 Post by Erpy » Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:51 am

I dunno. Ignoring a c&d is generally a pretty stupid thing to do, because a company's next step WILL be a lawsuit. I wonder if any non-profit worker would be willing to put himself in a situation where he risks being in debts for years to come. Even if they'd be able to complete it in secret, it would stir up enough attention to immediately get them on the hook again.

Blummer102
Peasant Status

#23 Post by Blummer102 » Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:23 pm

I believe they said on a message board somewhere that they'll just finish the game for themselves, but not distribute it at all.

Shame, really. But you can't blame them.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#24 Post by Boogeyman » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:59 am

Ignore BOTH the c&d AND the lawsuit. I can't believe the CT:Resurrection team let Square-Enix get away with BREAKING THE LAW!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#25 Post by Erpy » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:52 am

I believe they said on a message board somewhere that they'll just finish the game for themselves, but not distribute it at all.
I can understand that decision, although I personally think that by the time they complete it, they'll be too sick of it to ever play it again. If they do complete it and keep it to themselves, they should be fine. Unfortunately, software has this tendency to leak out to the public and that's not in their best interests most likely.
Ignore BOTH the c&d AND the lawsuit. I can't believe the CT:Resurrection team let Square-Enix get away with BREAKING THE LAW!
Breaking what law?