No speech on KQ1 VGA, no sound except at Tierra Intro

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Jayisgod

No speech on KQ1 VGA, no sound except at Tierra Intro

#1 Post by Jayisgod » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:35 pm

I downloaded and installed the game and both the speech and music packs, but I don't get any speech or music, except when the game is loading and the Tierra Logo is displayed. I have installed and reinstalled many times, but I still get no sound. I am running winXP, and I have directX9 installed. My speakers are on and working correctly. I have no idea what to do here. Anyone?

Alliance
Knight Status

#2 Post by Alliance » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:09 pm

Run winsetup and check the box that says "use speech pack if available"

joedoh
Peasant Status

#3 Post by joedoh » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:20 am

I have pretty much the exact same problem now as 'Jayisgod' had 2.5 years ago -- KQ1VGA 3.0 -- speech & music packs installed -- WinXP Pro, DirectX9, AMD64 2.4GHz, 1Gb ram, SoundMAX integrated HD -- with sound only heard when Tierra logo is played (as well as selection rollover sounds in KQ1 launcher).

Under sound options in AGS game settings, "use digital music pack" and "use speech pack" are both selected. I've tried all 9 possible combinations of the Digital Sound and MIDI music dropdowns.

I do get the error dialog "Unable to initialize your audio hardware. (Problem: Failed to init MIDI music driver) if any digital sound option other than "No Digital Sound" is selected. However, the logo and rollover sounds play irregardless.

AGS game settings: Graphics (640x480 -- Run in window -- Use 85Hz -- Anti-alias) Language (Game Default) Advanced (20Mb sprite cache).

I'm a big adventure game fan and I'd love to try KQ1VGA but it's a bit lack luster with no sound at all.

Cheers!