Leisure Suit Larry 5 Remake

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

TragicWhiteKnight
Peasant Status

Leisure Suit Larry 5 Remake

#1 Post by TragicWhiteKnight » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:28 am

Here's an idea I've been toying with for the past few days:

Unlike most updates, this would be more about:
- adding extra puzzles (and hot-spots) to existing areas.
- adding extra dialogue (ideally with a LSL7 style topic selection)
- expanding the plot (and giving a better explanation about whatever happened to LSL4).

The advantage of doing a project like this would be
- reuse of all the old backgrounds
- reusing most of the character animations
- pre-existing music

If there was interest enough from anyone with any artistic capabilities, it'd be good to add a few more locations and characters. But really all that it would need at a bare minimum (artwise):
- extra inventory/object drawings
- some new puzzle animations

It's worth noting I know absolutely nothing about programming, so anyone who knew an easy way to do that with the existing Larry 5 engine would be much obliged/loved/compensated/and more.

Anyone think this is a good/bad/indescribably awful idea?

Jafar
Super Star

#2 Post by Jafar » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:36 am

Welcome TWN.
(and giving a better explanation about whatever happened to LSL4).
You want to know what really happened? :p
[spoiler]I don't know. Seriously, I think the title of the game (The Missing Floppies) should let anyone know what happened to it.[/spoiler]

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#3 Post by Fribbi » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:22 pm

Well it is very obvious that you didn't like that Leisure suit Larry game and if you think you can make it better then go ahead then. Nobody is stopping you from it.

Why is this always happening when people don't like a game they have been playing with lots of enjoyment they had before and suddenly saw something that should be in the game and get the craziest idea that they want to remake that game and say here they can do it better than the authors. I don't get it any longer.

I shame myself now for my own works now on Larry game I "was" working on. I mean Leisure suit Larry 3 EGA was already a good game and it was sold in millions copy. So how can I make it better than it was? :rolleyes

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#4 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:51 pm

You know what?

I think we should remake Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within.

But not how you're thinking. We shouldn't turn it into animation with sprites and backgrounds.

We should remake the full motion video! I mean, it was TERRIBLE acting.

I'd like to volunteer myself for Gabriel Knight. Klitos for Wolfgang in a flashback (yes, I'm adding in flashbacks to show Wolfgang battling midgets in Mongolia). BT, you can be Gerde.

Gav
Knight Status

#5 Post by Gav » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:16 am

TWK does have a point though. LSL5 is a weak link between two excellent LSL games (3 & 6). It is very lacking in puzzles especially, and to me is like the KQ2 of LSLs.

To be honest, I think without the cutscenes and the gambling, the game would be finished in under an hour by most players. Not to mention that you can make countless irreversible mistakes and it counts for nothing at the end.

An extended remake would therefore be a good idea, provided that the creators can take a leaf out of the AGDI(and Wookies)'s book and fix the plot/puzzles in a way that keeps the game true, but improves it.

TragicWhiteKnight
Peasant Status

#6 Post by TragicWhiteKnight » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:14 am

Gav wrote: An extended remake would therefore be a good idea, provided that the creators can take a leaf out of the AGDI(and Wookies)'s book and fix the plot/puzzles in a way that keeps the game true, but improves it.
Exactly - it might have been better to phrase it as an 'expanded' version, rather than a remake as such. It's clear the game is marketed to a more 'general' audience, rather than traditional adventure gamer (who'd now be the mostly likely type to bother playing an old point and click) - I don't see how some posters seem to think its sacreligious to want to respectfully build on a pre-existing framework - it's not like I suggested pissing on the Turin Shroud (or remaking Gabriel Knight I - that would be sacrilege... :) )

I do like LSL5 for the most part, but, if you actually look its puzzles, they never really amount to anything more than 'go here', 'pick up this', 'give this to this person' and require little to no thought.

PS: I'd love to see a Gabriel Knight 2 FMV remake - shaky sets, recreating Neuschwanstein in someone's living room, - it'd be a camp classic.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#7 Post by Fribbi » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:06 pm

I do like LSL5 for the most part, but, if you actually look its puzzles, they never really amount to anything more than 'go here', 'pick up this', 'give this to this person' and require little to no thought.

Well I can understand that because you want something more eatable stuff on your Pizza but in those old days many computer writers didn't know much about how to create all those cool stuffs like we have been experienced now in all those latest games. The game has a classic game style so I would not change anything inside that game.

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#8 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:20 pm

ugh ... don't get me started on LSL5. horrible game. there are several parts where you don't even have to do much of anything to get to the next scene, you can always get more money if you need it, and so on. ugh. horrible game. needs a makeover, STAT.

Snarky
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Snarky » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:21 pm

Fribbi wrote:

Well I can understand that because you want something more eatable stuff on your Pizza but in those old days many computer writers didn't know much about how to create all those cool stuffs like we have been experienced now in all those latest games. The game has a classic game style so I would not change anything inside that game.
Don't be ridiculous. LSL5 came out in 1991. That's post-Monkey Island, post-QFG2, and sure as hell post-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and all the other devious text adventures out there (not to mention post-LSL1, LSL2 and LSL3). It's not like the concept of puzzles hadn't been invented in 1991. Do you imagine Al Lowe didn't know about them?

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#10 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:32 am

LSL5 should really be called LSL4 SENCE THERE WAS NOT a four.

adeyke

#11 Post by adeyke » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:40 am

No, it shouldn't.

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#12 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:15 am

there was not a four so yes it should

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#13 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:43 am

Al Lowe purposely named it five. Four was was a joke.

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#14 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:21 am

Dont get it but yeah ok, not much of a joke if you ask me though plus lsl is a perverted game anyway.

adeyke

#15 Post by adeyke » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:38 am

No one's asking you.

Relight
Archival Expert

#16 Post by Relight » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:19 am

Ooh one-liner spats! The Hero, you totally left yourself open to the biggest retort but I guess I should behave today <sigh>.

Radiant
Knight Status

grin

#17 Post by Radiant » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:12 am

I'm beginning to see the genius of Al Lowe's joke in not having an episode four... it lies in the fact that now, over ten years later, fans still get confused and get into debates about it. That's rich!

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#18 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:42 pm

Don't even try to tell me there was no LSL4. I played it, and it's the best adventure game EVER.

Bt

Radiant
Knight Status

No

#19 Post by Radiant » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:12 pm

No, really, you should play the sequel to the Black Cauldron. It kicks posterior!

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#20 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:00 pm

Oh yah, The Castle of Llyr R0xS0rz!!!!!!!

Bt

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#21 Post by Alias » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:41 pm

Anybody play Quest for Glory 100/50 ? Its so cool, its 8-bit colour and 10x10 resolution. Make sure your PC can handle that. :lol

Radiant
Knight Status

huh?

#22 Post by Radiant » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:58 pm

10x10 resolution? No way man, that's way too expensive for me! I had to sell a kidney to afford this 5x7 screen!

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#23 Post by Alias » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:31 pm

Wow! I had to sell one, lung, one testical, a kidney and a few braincells but its worth it for a high 10x10 resolution.

LMAO! :lol

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#24 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:12 pm

:rollin