King's Quest III+, Beta-5

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

#26 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:24 am

to fribbi
[spoiler]He's giving you a potion to make you subservient (sp?) and if you watch the scene afterwards and read the text, it makes sense.[/spoiler]

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#27 Post by Alias » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:14 pm

In case non of you know, the teleport still aint work. :\

Radiant
Knight Status

No,

#28 Post by Radiant » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:22 pm

Rog, first off I read every single post in this thread, so there's no reason to post something three times just to get the attention. If I don't respond to something, that means I have simply nothing to say about it (e.g. I have acknowledged the bug and will fix it in the next release).
And second, the teleport DOES work. It is explained at the beginning of the game (read those texts please, that's what they're there for), and the hotkey is ^T. In case you didn't know, ^T means to hold down the CONTROL key and then press T.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#29 Post by Fribbi » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:24 pm

to fribbi
Spoiler (highlight to view):
He's giving you a potion to make you subservient (sp?) and if you watch the scene afterwards and read the text, it makes sense.
Ok I understand it now. I just thougth it was a deadly poison. But it now make a sense to me now.

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#30 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:55 am

okay ...... very dumb question.

how do i actually give Manannan the fish oil? i've tried clicking it on him in the telescope room, doesn't work, i've tried hanging around until he asks for it, doesn't happen ..

i know, i'm dumb.

dreammaster
Royal Servant Status

#31 Post by dreammaster » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:12 am

Steffi Evenstar wrote:how do i actually give Manannan the fish oil?
You can't give Manannan the fish oil. Getting the oil in the first place on day 2 is the trigger for you getting mugged, and even when you get it back from the thieves on day 3, Manannan isn't interested in it anymore.

Aussie Bloke
Peasant Status

#32 Post by Aussie Bloke » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:35 am

Very nice job on the room remake of KQ3, looking forward to the finished product! :) Must say it's weird looking at a mix of VGA and EGA graphics, only other game I seen with a EGA/VGA combo is Space Quest 4 as you would of seen where Roger goes back in time to Space Quest 1.

Anyways best of luck.

Cheers
Troy

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#33 Post by Fribbi » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:54 am

In Space Quest 4 you can play it both in EGA and VGA.

Radiant
Knight Status

#34 Post by Radiant » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:08 am

The remaining EGA graphics are going to be replaced with VGA.

deltamatrix
Knight Status

#35 Post by deltamatrix » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:43 pm

are you sure thats a good idea? Its kinda grown on me that the original EGA gfx would be used and that way you don't need to worry about sprite animations.

I think you shouldn't bother with VGA gfx especially since a normal remake is already underway.

Shalkar
Peasant Status

Question about Fisherman (from KQ4? heh)

#36 Post by Shalkar » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:06 pm

Anyway, I am on the peir and I talk to the fisherman and he asks me to answer his question about the bandits. He says somthing about "A Tail and a Head" I believe. Am I right? Anyway, how do I answer his question.

I have a few more problems? 1. How do I kill the fly in the Tower where the telescope is kept? That is a very difficult puzzle. 2. How do I grab the eagel feather? And how do I stop that Ogre!

Thanks in advance.

Shalkar!

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#37 Post by Alias » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:20 pm

:o

Im stuck, I've hidden the orb in the barrel, I cant get rid of the wizard because he wants me to take a poison drink, Help! 8o

fluxmaster
Knight Status

Re: Question about Fisherman (from KQ4? heh)

#38 Post by fluxmaster » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:10 pm

Shalkar wrote:1. How do I kill the fly in the Tower where the telescope is kept? That is a very difficult puzzle. 2. How do I grab the eagel feather?
This is just a guess, but I think [spoiler]you need the "Communicate with Animals" spell to do that.[/spoiler]

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#39 Post by Alias » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:08 pm

RADIANT> Man, you really need to make a walkthrough, Im going nuts with this game. :evil

dreammaster
Royal Servant Status

#40 Post by dreammaster » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:24 am

Okay, help time.. for each question, I'll give a hint and then the explicit answer, since you may be able to solve the puzzles with a gentle nudge rather than an explict spoiler.

He says somthing about "A Tail and a Head" I believe. Am I right? Anyway, how do I answer his question.
[spoiler]Think about it.. what has a head and a tail but no body. He didn't explicitly say it was a fish, so think abstractly[/spoiler]
[spoiler]It's "coin"[/spoiler]

How do I kill the fly in the Tower where the telescope is kept?
[spoiler]How do spiders catch flies?[/spoiler]
[spoiler]You need to get a piece of the spiderweb that covers the cave entrance down in the countryside[/spoiler]

2. How do I grab the eagel feather?
[spoiler]Chase after it; when it disappears, try to figure out why.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]It doesn't float out to sea.. it's gotten trapped by a rock in the rover ford. If you click on the rock, you'll find and retrieve it.[/spoiler]

And how do I stop that Ogre!
[spoiler]Don't get caught?[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Don't get caught?[/spoiler]

He wants me to take a poison drink
[spoiler]The wizard will kill you if you don't drink the potion. The potion isn't poison - it's designed to make you permanently docile. Since this is still a *very* bad thing, you'll need to fake it.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Click the potion on the ground and you'll tip it out whilst pretending to drink it. Then click the hand icon on yourself to pretend to spin and collapse.[/spoiler]

Radiant
Knight Status

Next beta

#41 Post by Radiant » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:08 pm

Okay. The next beta for KQIII+ is nearly complete and should have the land of Llewdor completely finished. However, I have noticed that this thread has turned mostly into people asking for help on how to finish the game. While I'm glad that people are enjoying the game, I would like to have a full version with as little bugs as possible so that adventure gamers can enjoy it to the most.

So, I believe it best if future beta versions are not to be released to the public, but rather to a group of testers. If you're serious about wanting to beta-test KQIII+, drop me a private message. This does mean that you should be prepared to not just play the game, but also to walk around a lot to check walkbehinds and cliff edges, try lots of little details over and over again to check if I have made any mistakes, and restarting the game and trying puzzles in different order or from different angles, so it's quite a bit more work than simply trying to solve the game.

As a side note, any artists, animators or musicians at large, if you want to help with the game, feel free to drop me a line!

bartonjo

awesome

#42 Post by bartonjo » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:58 pm

I was wondering, does your project have a website, if it doesn I could do one for you for free, if you want.

bartonjo2
Knight Status

vga objects

#43 Post by bartonjo2 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:55 pm

(i mean to post it her all along)
I have made some vga graphics for use in the game with two differenct options for the manaanan portrait. I dont expect you to use em there more like an offering or gift.

Enjoy :D
http://www.j-barton.com/vgaobjects.zip

Radiant
Knight Status

cool

#44 Post by Radiant » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:43 pm

No, KQ3+ does not currently need a website, but thanks anyway.
Your graphics are rather fancy. However, a VGA game runs in 320x200 resolution, and most of your graphics are significantly bigger than that. Do you think you could make something that would look good at a lower resolution?

bartonjo2
Knight Status

vga

#45 Post by bartonjo2 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:10 pm

I made the graphics large so that you could shrink em down to wutever size you needed, cuz I wasnt sure, I would be glad to resize them for you but by resizing for 320-320 resolution do you mean make them smaller or are you referring to the amount of colors in the pictures, im guessing just resize but I want to make sure that I dont mess thing up. If this paragraph has you confused the most important thing I am asking is what size do you want the pictures to be? BTW I am soo excited to play your game, the enhancements make it do much easier to play.

Radiant
Knight Status

well

#46 Post by Radiant » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:24 pm

What I mean is graphics that look good at 320x200 (for reference, a portrait would be roughly 100x100 pixels, and an item picture about 20x20). The point is that by shrinking your images to that size, you lose a lot of detail, and the image would look better if it had been drawn at the smaller resolution in the first place. It's a matter of style, mostly. If you need a style reference, play KQ5, KQ6, KQ1V, KQ2+ or take a look at the KQ2.5 website in my siggy.

bartonjo2
Knight Status

btw

#47 Post by bartonjo2 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:15 pm

BTW the wizard portrait is to replace the one over the stairs, its not the speaking portrait so ive resized it to the exact size of the old portrait 15x23. I did a window frame for one of the windows in the kitchen, I redid the hand cursor and the eye cursor because they were deformed. I didnt redo the bread in the end because the one you have is fine. I did do the bowl and knife in their small size (the image shown when the item is part of the room, before being picked up) and their large size which is when they are being used. These images are all the right size, I took a screenshot and made sure that they worked, so please try them before you toss em.

Tell me what you think.

The zip file is here: http://www.j-barton.com/res320.zip

bartonjo2
Knight Status

yeah ok :D

#48 Post by bartonjo2 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:01 pm

I would love to help with your project, thanks! I sent you my email address via pm

bartonjo2
Knight Status

very important

#49 Post by bartonjo2 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:18 pm

I found a bug, the dough in the ears item cannot be hidden, if you stuff pockets then you cant hide the dough and the wizard will kill you and theres nothing you can do about it once youve saved.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#50 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:42 pm

Good SWEET GOD!!!!!!!! USE THE EDIT BUTTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bt