A question of privacy

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

anathoth8
Triforce Defender

A question of privacy

#1 Post by anathoth8 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:21 pm

I hope this doesn't cross the border of controvercial topics.

Yesterday, I was at a memorial service for a member of my church. As it turns out, she was the wife of a rather famous country music star.

During the days following her death, a local TV channel broadcast their home address and phone number, in order for fans to contact them. This caused even more trouble for the already grieving family.

I personally think that the actions of the TV station were reprehensible. I'm interested in gauging others' opinions. Do you think that the media often invade the privacy of stars? Or do you believe that by becoming famous, stars implicity give up their right to privacy and are, in effect, open for shots?

P.S. In order to protect the privacy of this family, I am not going to tell you who it is. So don't ask.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

Re: A question of privacy

#2 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:46 pm

anathoth8 wrote: I personally think that the actions of the TV station were reprehensible. I'm interested in gauging others' opinions. Do you think that the media often invade the privacy of stars? Or do you believe that by becoming famous, stars implicity give up their right to privacy and are, in effect, open for shots?
I agree wholeheartdly, and I don't think I need to say much more. It's common decency that should tell anyone that THAT IS BAD.

Bt

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:54 pm

I agree. People should know better. I don't really like the whole deal of the media reporting every sneeze or fart from a celebraty anyway, but unfortunately, lots of people are more than happy to throw decency out of the window when bucks are to be made off it and I don't doubt that magazine sold very well regardless of how people think about this.

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#4 Post by fluxmaster » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:39 pm

One doesn't give up any rights by being a celebrity. Yes, the media do often invade the privacy of celebrities.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#5 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:17 pm

I think it's horrible that they'd do something like that. It reminds me of a radio ad that's running here right now. It talks about the bad things this senator has been doing, and then gives his phone number so people can call and complain. I think that's a major breech of privacy. Another thing I hate is election campaigns filled with mud slinging... this just combined the two.