Fanmade game-projects that never be completed

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

Fanmade game-projects that never be completed

#1 Post by JLM5 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:59 pm

What do you think is the biggest reason for the fact that just very small percent of all the started fanmade games (projects) will ever be completed? Why the people start the projects if they aren't never going to complete them? For example, this project:

viewtopic.php?t=6346
I really suspect if the thread starter is still making his game.

With my own project, I try to maintain a quite low profile about it until the game is nearly completed (the game hasn't even homepage yet). If something happens that prevents me to continue my project, at least I haven't advertised it anywhere.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#2 Post by Pidgeot » Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:57 pm

Overambition. People don't expect it to be so hard to remake the games, so they become overwhelmed - and give up as a result.

At some point, the people working on it may lose interest in the project, because they feel they've wasted their time. And in some cases, the work left behind is nearly impossible for an outsider to take up and work further upon.
For example, if a programmer leaves, it will be quite hard for someone else to continue the work if the previous programmer was very poor at writing readable code - the new programmer may not understand which variables do what, what certain procedures do, etc., etc., etc..

bartonjo2
Knight Status

#3 Post by bartonjo2 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:47 pm

I would have to agree in saying that if I was a programmer and left a project would be doomed. Ok not really but I do need to comment when I program

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#4 Post by Alias » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:28 am

1- Lake of artists

2- no motivation

Those are the main ones.  ;)

EDIT: Noticed my lake typo.  :lol
Last edited by Alias on Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radiant
Knight Status

yes

#5 Post by Radiant » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:44 am

Oooh, a lake of artists! Where is that? :)

Seriously though, in my experience creating a game is a LOT of work, and creating a big and good looking game would likely take one or two years. It's hard to stay motivated all through that time, and since you (usually) can't do it alone, all the people involved have to stay motivated. Even through such annoying periods as bugtesting (and there is going to be a lot of bugtesting for most games).
I think Sierra-remakes (or Lucas-remakes) have a harder time at it since they have a very high standard to live up to. If I were to create 'The Squirrel's Dilemma', people would accept lesser-quality art and music and still find the game good. If I were to create 'Space Quest negative one', people would expect a lot more.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#6 Post by Klytos » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:17 pm

There's a few reasons. The main ones I think is that people just lose interest when they find out how much work is actually involved in making a game. It's fairly easy, but very time-consuming.

I don't believe there's a lack of background artists or programmers. I think the big issue is sprites. That's where all the really hard work goes in. For example, in Quest for Infamy we have 64 frames for the basic walking sprite of the villain. Thats a lot of work in itself let alone thinking of all the other characters in the game.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Alias » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:15 pm

Tell me how many people are willing to help someone out with VGA backgrounds around here?

<hears nothing>

0_o

Radiant
Knight Status

Hah

#8 Post by Radiant » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:29 pm

That seriously depends on who's asking. <evil grin>

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#9 Post by Erpy » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:44 pm

Artists can be scarce and don't just jump into projects unless they have confidence in it.

There's a few factors that people already mentioned:

- Overambition: People want to create "the next big thing" and underestimate the amount of work even a small game takes. Once reality starts setting in, the project is quickly abandoned.

- Declining interest among teammembers: Starting a project is the fun part...you get to brainstorm for ideas and everybody is estatic to see the first 0.5% of the game come alive. Everybody's motivated the first month or so. Eventually, boredom will start setting in. Keeping up the work on the game in a constant fashion takes dicipline. More than most people have. Certain tasks are very monotonous, yet must be done in order for the game to proceed. When one member loses interest, a replacement often needs to be found and the lack of progress that comes with the departure (or absence) of members quickly tends to spread to other members.

The assumption that (re)making a game is easy is a myth. But many people still fall for it.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#10 Post by Alias » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:59 pm

Well I find it hard to find even 1 VGA artist. I can do backgrounds as good as Mark Crowe did in the eraly EGA games, thats why im working on a EGA project as an artist, but there is no hope for my other project because no artist. :x

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#11 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:40 pm

Rog wrote:Tell me how many people are willing to help someone out with VGA backgrounds around here?

<hears nothing>

0_o
Hey, I had to deal with that too, when I started QFI. So I began to teach myself - taking advice from the many around here who give it, if you look. Gronagor always had good tips; as well as MuzlackOofmay. Corby, of Project Katrina, had a great tutorial that helped out. LucasFan helped as well.

The best way to get a feel for "VGA" art, is to look at all the backgrounds you can from classic Sierra and LucasArts games, and just try to imitate what they did. Look at how foreground and background elements are arranged, the uses of color and such. Then practice, practice, practice. All you have is time to get better. And in the end, only you can do it.

Bt

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#12 Post by Alias » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:00 pm

I've tried really hard on VGA backgrounds but its really complex and I have no idea how to do everything. I've been looking into 3D and find it very cool. ;)

Radiant
Knight Status

a thought

#13 Post by Radiant » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:52 pm

This may be a suggestion, Rog... while very pretty, the old Sierra style isn't particularly sacred. There have been AGS games in other styles. I'd suggest you look up 'Search for the Don', 'Larry Vales', and 'Melrin' (no, not Merlin) (or, if you must, Stickman) and see how they've done the graphics. Maybe you'll find that you can do very well in one of those styles, and you could do a game in that style.

Gav
Knight Status

#14 Post by Gav » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:22 pm

I actually think it would be pretty cool to see a Sierra remake or sequel/prequel in an original/different graphics style.

On that note, how cool would it be if The Secret of Monkey Island was remake Sierra style, and King's Quest 5 was remake Lucastyle.

deltamatrix
Knight Status

#15 Post by deltamatrix » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:01 am

Having or being a good artist on your team can be very motivating in itself and provide inspiration.

What also don't help such projects is when they lose the vital data on their hard drive with no backups.

bartonjo2
Knight Status

#16 Post by bartonjo2 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:44 am

I tried to do backgrounds in vga style but they didnt turn out

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#17 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:11 am

bartonjo2 wrote:I tried to do backgrounds in vga style but they didnt turn out
Just keep practicing! My first backgrounds looked like someone vomited on my screen!

Bt

bartonjo2
Knight Status

#18 Post by bartonjo2 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:20 am

The biggest problem is that well dodge and burn are too strong and really look bad when i use them.

Fizzii
Peasant Status

#19 Post by Fizzii » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:27 am

The biggest problem is that well dodge and burn are too strong and really look bad when i use them.
You should be able to set the exposure lower, if you have photoshop... But rather than using dodge and burn, it's generally better to select different, lighter and darker colours from the colour palette

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#20 Post by Klytos » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:20 am

Erpy wrote:The assumption that (re)making a game is easy is a myth. But many people still fall for it.
It's easier and harder in different respects. It's harder because you can't just go "well this doesn't work too well, lets change it", and also the monotonous work sets in straight away because there's no "fun" brainstorming sessions needed. It's easier because you have a detailed roadmap on what needs done and where you need to go.
BlackThorne519 wrote:Just keep practicing! My first backgrounds looked like someone vomited on my screen!
That is true. :lol

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

Re: a thought

#21 Post by Alias » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:43 am

Radiant wrote:This may be a suggestion, Rog... while very pretty, the old Sierra style isn't particularly sacred. There have been AGS games in other styles. I'd suggest you look up 'Search for the Don', 'Larry Vales', and 'Melrin' (no, not Merlin) (or, if you must, Stickman) and see how they've done the graphics. Maybe you'll find that you can do very well in one of those styles, and you could do a game in that style.
Even though you've seen some of my styles and you liked them but I'm not happy with doing such low tech backgrounds because its not as good as VGA or true 3D. Its just primitive. :|

bartonjo2
Knight Status

#22 Post by bartonjo2 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:58 pm

yeah well, Ill see what happens

anathoth8
Triforce Defender

#23 Post by anathoth8 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:50 pm

Rog in another thread wrote:Well as you guys know I've been posting for help around here lately and found 3 artists that want to join so I would like to thank you all for your support more or less.

Things are going well with good progress.
Rog in this thread wrote:Well I find it hard to find even 1 VGA artist. I can do backgrounds as good as Mark Crowe did in the eraly EGA games, thats why im working on a EGA project as an artist, but there is no hope for my other project because no artist.
Hmmm... :rolleyes

bartonjo2
Knight Status

#24 Post by bartonjo2 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:55 pm

Though it looks fishy I'm sure that Rog has a reason maybe those artists are for another project?

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#25 Post by Alias » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:56 pm

bartonjo2 wrote:Though it looks fishy I'm sure that Rog has a reason maybe those artists are for another project?
Thank you. And BTW I didnt say in game. ;)
2 are concept and one is in game. But not any VGA artists there. :cry
Last edited by Alias on Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.