Helloo..... I'm back

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

susanb
Peasant Status

Helloo..... I'm back

#1 Post by susanb » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:23 pm

I'm back. Yes, for all you newbies, and the older viewers with bad memories, I left 6 months ago to go work in the wilderness.

My old emails cancelled, my website seems like it won't ever come back on-line, and my team mates couldn't get hold of me(or me get hold of them) so they are gone too.

Anyway, I'm starting fresh. http://classicremakes.freeservers.com

Its not much, but check it out anyway.

Thanks,

Susan

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:29 pm

Ummm...I don't see anything remotely game-related. Like the AGS forums, I'd prefer it if people wouldn't make a post about a project before it's even started. I hope, before announcing this, you prepared at least something to show to people here. Otherwise, there is little use in creating a post here to begin with.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#3 Post by Klytos » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:24 am

Hey, it'd probably be easier to get team members if you tell people what you're planning on working on...

1eyedParrot
Knight Status

#4 Post by 1eyedParrot » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:21 pm

...from outer space! Just walked in to see that sad look upon your face....

Skyshark
Knight Status

#5 Post by Skyshark » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:47 am

Hey Susan! :)

susanb
Peasant Status

CAR

#6 Post by susanb » Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:54 pm

(Hi Skyshark..... ;) )

I'm working on classic games. It's on the webpages title :D

Just joking! To tell the truth, I'm not going to tell. There are 3 I have in mind, but I will let my team choose one, or all three at the same time.

The only job not available is the job of putting the game together. Thats my favourite part - dialog, hotspots, gui's, scripting etc...

I'm a weirdo, so don't ask too many questions. Don't get me wrong, I draw too, but I think 5 people drawing backgrounds will get the game done quicker than just me.

So, who's in?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:01 pm

In on what? Okay, so you're the scripter. I suggest creating the first part of a game in AGS just using the EGA graphics directly taken from the game that is to be remade. Then, upload it and ask for artists. Once people see you know what you're doing and you've shown dedication, they'll be more willing to join.

What you're asking people now is to sign a blank contract. I doubt that's going to work. Nobody's going to put a year into something when they don't even know what that something is.

susanb
Peasant Status

car

#8 Post by susanb » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:16 pm

When I first read your suggestion, I thought wow! great idea

But the more I thought about it, I realised I would be doing twice as much work because I would have to redo all the hotspots when the real backgrounds get to me.

Although, it is a good idea. I might contridict myself and do it.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

Re: car

#9 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:21 pm

susanb wrote:When I first read your suggestion, I thought wow! great idea

But the more I thought about it, I realised I would be doing twice as much work because I would have to redo all the hotspots when the real backgrounds get to me.

Although, it is a good idea. I might contridict myself and do it.
It is a great idea.  So you may have to redo some hotspots - you'll already have the game reprogrammed.

Hell, if you get any major amount of work done on a remake (ie remaking most of it in VGA) I'd help out with backgrounds.  You just need to show some significant work.

You've obviously got the want and the moxie.  Just show some work, and I'm sure you'll get some workers.

Bt

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#10 Post by Erpy » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:32 pm

Drawing hotspots doesn't really take that long. (compared to the rest of the work) Hotspots (as opposed to walkbehinds and possibly walkables/regions too sometimes) don't need to be pixel-perfect, as people usually click on the middle of those things anyway.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#11 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:31 am

sometimes I think that they got lazy with hotspots in QFG1VGA as it's near impossible to click on things sometimes. though I am half blind so I'm prolly clicking on the other side of the room.

It's interesting what you are doing and if I had any computer skills at all (other then some slight repair knowledge you know, the basics) I would try and lend a bit of a hand. Alas though as I have as much talent as say most people starting snowboarding. Although it's extremely hard to learn once you can hit the jumps and go higher then you are and 4X as far it's just simple tasks and repetitive... yet somehow rewarding at the end of the day/project.. Sorry bad example  :\

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#12 Post by Alias » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:29 am

I would suggest a Conquests of Camelot Remake. That game could really do with one.

susanb
Peasant Status

Oops

#13 Post by susanb » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:57 am

When I said hotspots, I meant walkbehinds etc... hehe.

Well bt, show me your backgrounds and I'll see if you can join my team, and then I'll show you what I've done.
;)

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#14 Post by Alias » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:59 am

Any chance we can know what game this is?  :x

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#15 Post by Erpy » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:07 am

Some of Blackthorne's background samples are in the thread in this particular forum where he and some others are taking shots at creating VGA-versions of SQ2-backgrounds. Additionally, if you visit his homepage (click the homepage button in his posts), you can see some samples of KQ3-backgrounds he created.

With that said, I'm also curious what you're working on. Why not mention it publically? In remaining secretive about the exact nature of the project, you may be scaring potential contributors away.

susanb
Peasant Status

ok, you got me

#16 Post by susanb » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:11 am

ok, you got me.... I guess I'll have to tell. Although, the announcement will scare more people than not telling them. I'm working on two. To keep true to my word to Anttu, one of the originals, Indiana Jones and the Revenge of the Ancients, and the main one that will be worked on is SQ2.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#17 Post by Klytos » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:36 am

SQ2, great game. Easy to remake I'd think too. (Compared to some of the other Sierra EGA's, there's no arcade sequences in it.)

Radiant
Knight Status

#18 Post by Radiant » Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:39 pm

So Susanb, any relation to the SQ2 game you're coding, and the picture remaking thread Blackthorne started earlier? Are you doing a straight SQ2 remake? Or enhancing the plot? What about that Indiana Jones game, could you tell us a bit of the plot? I'm sure you are aware of the other Indy fangames out there? (in particular, Amberfisharts, and FOY)

I'm not sure why this announcement would scare people? It's ambitious, yes, but not scary :)

susanb
Peasant Status

Sp2

#19 Post by susanb » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:04 pm

I've been thinking about this remake for a while now. It just happens it's been spoken about at the same time. All the people in the other forum you mentioned.... well I would love them to 'work' for me, but it's their choice.

Everyone keeps saying I need to show proof that I have already started coding on the game, but how. Must I post some of the script for you?

Space Quest 2 will be the same story line, but i hope there will be new jokes, that go with the old ones. As for Indiana Jones and the Revenge of the Ancients, it's basically about a Nazi, Plebinheim, that steals the 'Power Key' from a temple in south america. Indy has to save the day, and also Marion.

I can draw space ships, and temples, but I'm no good at plant life, which is my biggest problem, seeing both Indy and Sq2 are set mainly in the jungle. Thats why i need artists.

Radiant
Knight Status

#20 Post by Radiant » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:24 pm

Well, you don't have to show anything, but the point is that almost weekly, a n00b wanders in here and proclaims he's doing the Best Game Ever. Now I'm not saying you are one of those people - for one, you don't speak/write like one. But people would take you more seriously (especially if you're trying to recruit them) if you can show them something - some screens you've drawn, a demo with a couple of rooms, the script for the intro sequence, stuff like that.

susanb
Peasant Status

sq2

#21 Post by susanb » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:44 pm

Radiant wrote:Now I'm not saying you are one of those people - for one, you don't speak/write like one.
thanks, I think...
Radiant wrote:show them something - some screens you've drawn, a demo with a couple of rooms, the script for the intro sequence, stuff like that.
I'm having site problems. It is fighting with me (no, really..) I can't seem to upload anything.

I'll be happy to send you a pic if you post it for me here.

Radiant
Knight Status

Re: sq2

#22 Post by Radiant » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:35 pm

susanb wrote:
Radiant wrote:Now I'm not saying you are one of those people - for one, you don't speak/write like one.
thanks, I think...
That was meant to be nice, yes.
(search the archives a bit and you're bound to come up with some posts from a person that has a 'great' idea and expects other people to do all the actual work - that's the n00b kind I was talking about. Rest assured that I don't consider you one of those)
Radiant wrote:show them something - some screens you've drawn, a demo with a couple of rooms, the script for the intro sequence, stuff like that.
I'm having site problems. It is fighting with me (no, really..) I can't seem to upload anything.
Might I suggest Geocities.com? Sorry for plugging it but it's a very good free webhost out there.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#23 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:41 pm

Susan if you want to show people your serious why dont you throw some EGA placeholders in with your code to make a little demo and send it to me and I'll host it for you.

Email is chris@eternal-anubis.com

susanb
Peasant Status

sq2

#24 Post by susanb » Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:39 pm

Sorry for the late response. I'm busy making a one screen demo for you. Everything is done but the sprites.

I will have it for you before 2005. (usually that would sound bad, but not on the 24th of December 2004)

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#25 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:28 pm