Help a person in pain.

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

Help a person in pain.

#1 Post by Swift » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:51 am

(I apologise if this break forum rules)

Those of you who visit the 'Quest for More Glory' forums would know about this.

Elsa Von Spielburg from QFMG forums, Sep 7 2004 wrote: Hi all.

As some of you may know, our friend Brassfire has been having serious problems with her teeth for a long time now. Even though she managed to get some of her teeth fixed, there are still plenty of trouble to go through. There are two teeth that need root canals and one of them is beginning to get seriously infected and she could get sick because of that! It will cost around $1259 to get those fixed and the more she waits the more they will cost in the future.

Once those are done she ll need 3 crowns that cost $700 each...all and all she ll need around $3400 to fix her teeth.

Plus there is the part that her husband and her have no place of their own to stay in right now and they are staying at a place owned by V's family.

And the biggest problem of all is that they can't afford to pay for any of these things! Brassfire needs our help you guys – so if you want to help her please send her some money at this paypal account:

Remember that the situation is critical and if we don't do something soon, our friend could get sick because of the infection of her teeth!

This is the current situation.

Brassfire, today wrote: Things will get better with $3000 worth of dental work but probably not before then. The work needed to be done 3 years ago and I simply did not have the money because I was unemployable at the time.

Now I'm more employable but it will take time to earn that much money plus money for rent and food.

So far friends have raised $620 for me of the $3000 needed.

Please visit this link and help her out in any way you can.

http://www.questformoreglory.com/forums ... c=859&st=0

If you can't help her financially, please at least spread the word around to those who you think might be able to help. Thank you.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#2 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:58 am

How do you know they aren't just saying that? well they probably aren't  :) Just me being careful lol

But It must be loads more expensive where they live to get those done. I had to have a root canel and it would have cost £300 if I wasn't pregnant, plus you had options of paying it off monthly here.

~Vamp

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#3 Post by Swift » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:48 am

At first I was wondering why Angelus would talk about being pregnant. Lol.  :lol

It's fair enough that some would be skeptical about this. I would too if I didn't have any contact with her. As someone who has spoken to her online, worked with her on Herocia, and read her blog, I do believe her case to be genuine. She really does need help, and her teeth hurt so bad that she has to be on liquid diet.

If you can, I urge you to help her please. Thank you.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#4 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:14 pm

Why would the dentist let that happen? Here if you can't afford it you can pay monthly and if you really can't afford it you get help such as Benefits if you can prove to them that you don't get a high income you get money towards dentistry.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Alias » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:56 pm

In the UK you get dental care at 0-18 years old I think, then you need to pay after that age.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#6 Post by Swift » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:31 pm

Well, I guess it doesn't work that way over there where she is now, and it's a pity the dentist simply allowed it to happen. :(

Picture of her teeth

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#7 Post by Vildern » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:20 pm

My heart is with her. I wish I were able to donate. I know how agonizing teeth aches can be. It's hell.

Milan Easton
Ruler of the Castle

#8 Post by Milan Easton » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:15 pm

This happened to me and my brother in law a while back.  Although I went with the root canal and crown, my brother in law opted for the less expensive option of having his teeth removed.  I believe this was only a few hundred dollars.

Are the teeth molars or more obvious ones?  If they are molars, it might be best to just remove the teeth altogether for the time being and save a lot of money.

I would definitely recommend taking care of it immediately though.  I've gotten several abscesses over the past few months, and just this past weekend, one burst within my body and spread the infection down my arm and through my lymphatic system.  The doctor said I could have died.  I had to get emergency surgery, and even then, for the past week, I've been sleeping 17 hours a day due to my body trying to fight off the infection.  This is seroius stuff.  Please take care of yourself Brassfire, and do whatever you can to remedy this problem.  If it's an option, pay the dentist in payments.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#9 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:12 pm

I'm sorry for the situation Brassfire is in (and good luck to her) but what I dont agree with is this
Please, if you can't give money to help, take a jar around your school or something!!!!!!!!!!

This was an emergency three years ago and has only become greater because of people's inaction.

I CAN'T DO THIS BY MYSELF!
Has only become worse because of other people's inaction? As in its worse because other people havnt given her enough money? I mean thats just wrong! She shouldnt depend on other people like that. And getting kids to take jars round schools is just as bad.

Again, I hope you get your teeth fixed but why not take some action yourself, you probably think you've done all you can but where there's a will I'm sure there's a way.

You've just got to not stop trying and by that post it sounds as if you have.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#10 Post by Vildern » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:26 pm

Sometimes, people are just not up to do their best, they require assistance.. I guess...

I do believe that society have responsibility for individuals in need. it saddens me, this story.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#11 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:15 pm

I had to help myself when my kidneys failed.  I had to deal with social workers and fill out paperwork to get the assistance I needed.   I had to deal with the doctors, bill collectors and social programs...... while I was dying.....

Shit happens - sometimes you have to deal.   Don't ever put the blame on anyone other than yourself.  

That said, I hope she gets the help she needs.

Bt

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#12 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:49 am

I really can't belive her. I mean Yeah ok her teeth are bad, mind you they don't look it in the pics, but she would be able to get them done no probs. Their would be help for her out there where she lives to help her finance th money, there are benefits agencies everywhere in the world!!! and dentists and doctors wouldn't let that happen.
This was an emergency three years ago and has only become greater because of people's inaction.
BUT to blame others the way she did was wrong. I read that and was totally disgusted. If you really needed help you would never speak like that as that only makes people angry. Its her inactions thats caused it, she would be able to get help where she lived, even looking online.

Hope she gets better and finds it soon though.

~Vamp

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#13 Post by Swift » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:25 am

Brassfire asked me to pass this message to you guys.

(taken from http://www.questformoreglory.com/forums ... st&p=17796)
Brassfire, from QFMG forums wrote:My parents said that they would take care of it, but then didn't have the money. This was 10 years ago up to 5 years ago. Back when I was a kid and they were actually responsible, yes.

The Government said that it would help only if it was an "emergency" and then refused to pay for the work necessary because I had called IN PAIN FROM THE DENTISTS OFFICE instead of getting permission two weeks before the emergency appointment... friends had to step in to cover that cost because the government refused to reimburse the dentist and I had $0 to my name after rent at that point. This was 5 years ago.

A friend said he'd take care of it, and actually got me the first root canal and the first three temporary fillings and the replacement fillings a year later for two of the teeth, but then did not have the money to help further. This was 3-2 years ago.

The dentist reduced the costs to $3000 for me instead of many thousands more than that, but I only had $60 to my name at the time and became homeless shortly after that. The $60 went very quickly on food. This was 2 years ago.

I went back on government assistance although I never wanted to be on assistance again, and entered a program to start a business because I am too sick to work fulltime outside the home, and I figured that'd be the only way I'd ever get off welfare.

Because I could theoretically work part-time IF I got the right job and an understanding employer (how many of those are there??), I cannot get disability, although if I got disability I would be able to get the health treatments I need to be able to work fulltime at almost ANY job. But that's not how the system works, so I cannot get disability.

I started my business under the government program. There was no funding, save for $400 that I had scraped up over 6 months by not eating properly, not getting new clothes even when my old ones were rags (and applying for the clothing allowance of $250 then spending it on the business instead, which was allowed), not doing laundry regularly to save on costs, etc. I could not afford advertising. I was lucky to get customers from among friends to build up word-of-mouth. The business does not make a profit, but it covers it's own costs.

I occasionally asked my caseworker about dental benefits, and was told that it would be covered only if it was an emergency. However, if it is truly an emergency, there is no way to get it covered because if you have the time to book an appointment and get the dental work approved... it is by their definition NOT an emergency and will therefore not be covered. Nice catch-22 to save the government money...

I do not trust for help from the government anymore, and if I went to the government for aid in rent and food, I would not be legally allowed to be with my husband because he is from another country... without him it is unlikely that I would be able to travel to the dentist from my friend's house (it's in the country so I couldn't even take a bus), because my friend has a job and cannot drive me anywhere. (Plus which we are already imposing on her.) If I went on government support at this time it would just get worse because there would be nobody to help me to get better.

My husband's parents lent us the money for one root canal and one temporary filling, it was reall expensive because it was in the US. They later forgave the debt as a wedding present, however we cannot borrow money from them now, they've already helped more than they wanted to and they know we couldn't pay it back for at least a year.

I was really hoping that my business would be able to improve fast enough that a part-time job in addition to it would be enough to live on... and get everything paid for. I was hoping last year that my health would last another two years so that I could put a foundation in place. Now the teeth have started breaking and it is obvious that it WON'T last another year.

There is a free dental clinic near my husband's family home... however they told me to go back to Canada, and they told me that they didn't do root canals although the local dentist had actually referred me to them as doing root canals. I do not know of any free clinics in Canada, only reduced-fee clinics... my own dentist already offered a reduced fee and a payment plan.

But when you make $0 a month, what can you offer on a payment plan? (I was making $5 a month but now have to expand the business a little, so there was no profit at all last year. There will be profit this year with the expansion, but not enough for a living.)

I cannot borrow money from the bank, because I don't have a full-time job employed by someone else. My other health conditions prevent that: environmental sensitivy (also known as multiple chemical sensitivity) and chronic fatigue, and dysmenorrhea. The teeth problems may be making the fatigue problem worse, it definitely gives me headaches.

If I get false teeth, I will never be able to play a brass instrument again, which would severely reduce my chances of earning money later on. I am trying to negotiate reduced fees or work exchanges with dentists to reduce the amount I'd have to pay and need help with. But at this stage every little bit helps.

I have lived far under the poverty line all my life. The poverty line in Canada is $10,000 a year and minimum wage... I have lived on $6,000 max. I have tried to earn money as best I could. I SHOULD have been on disability this entire time which would have actually meant that I'd have reached the poverty line, but caseworkers gave me misinformation about my elegibility for disability, and I lived with the results of that misinformation for years.

I do not know how I survived this far. I do know, that all I need is the teeth taken care of, because once those ARE taken care of, the measures I have already put in place to actually earn an income will bear fruit without getting pounded into the ground before they can grow.

I have a place to stay, rent-free. That means, any money I manage to earn while back in Canada goes straight to food, gas, or teeth. My husband will not be allowed to earn money while we're there (because we don't have enough money to apply for immigration) so that kinda sucks. But he'll be very useful because I can't drive and well, I love him too. (My eyes are bad and I couldn't afford glasses either... yet another thing that was SUPPOSED to be covered by the government and wasn't covered.)

Once the last root canal and the three temporaries are replaced, which will be about $1000, I can very probably earn the rest of the money needed either in website design or flute playing, to make sure the rest of my mouth doesn't need more root canals.

I don't need donations of $3000, because I know I can earn the rest. Every little bit counts right now. If the donations get to be too much and I can take care of the rest, I'll give refunds.

Yes, this situation is real. Some of it is caused by my own poor judgement (listening to my caseworkers instead of asking friends to help me get on disability 6 years ago comes to mind... trying to ignore my body's needs for years in order to try to not depend on help from others... becoming vegetarian to save money on food and not doing it properly because I couldn't actually afford vegetables or supplements and then having a doctor order me to eat meat, although I still couldn't afford meat on welfare...) and some of it is caused by the inability of the people responsible for caring for me as a child of actually doing that.

Is it really better to give than to receive? If there is nobody to receive, then the giver cannot give. You know why it's better to give? Because then you don't have to worry about what people will say about your character or motivations.

Yes, I am a real person. If I had an apartment I'd even post my address and phone number here so people could call to verify. But I don't have a place of my own or a phone number of my own. I am not going back on welfare, to do that I would lose everything I've tried to build, I would also lose any chance of being with my husband. The only way to move forward now is to work as much as I'm actually capable of and rely on my friends to help out.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#14 Post by Charlemagne » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:40 pm

I don't use PayPal for various reasons (mainly some very bad press), and I'm not giving them my credit card number, but if you give me a financial institution #, transit # and account # I could probably help her out.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#15 Post by Swift » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:25 am

Thanks, Charlemagne. Could you pass me your e-mail address so that she can contact you personally and discuss this please?

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#16 Post by Charlemagne » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:38 am

Check your messages Swift.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#17 Post by Swift » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:53 am

Already did, and replied.

Thank you again.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#18 Post by Swift » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:17 am

I'll just update you guys on the current situation.

http://www.questformoreglory.com/forums ... st&p=18004

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#19 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:42 am

I've transferred $400 from paypal which has turned into $485 CDN - thank goodness for the exchange rate! I'll be using the $85 extra for food, and transferring more for the next emergency appointment.
I think someone should tell her she doesnt have an extra $85. If she transferred US$400 from her paypal to her bank account then as she says it gets converted to Canadian $$$.

So US$400 actually is CAN$485 so she hasnt got anything extra. If people got free money from exchanging money to and from other currency's we'd all be rich.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#20 Post by Swift » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:48 am

Ermm.. people *do* make money from exchange rates, Angelus.  :rolleyes

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#21 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:00 pm

Lol true in some cases. But my point still stands she wouldnt have gotten an extra $85 from coverting US to Canadian.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#22 Post by Swift » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:10 pm

Actually, considering that it wasn't a 1:1 exchange, getting CDN$485 instead of CDN$400 from US$400 can be intepreted as getting CDN$85 extra, depending on how you look at it.

Anyway, I didn't paste that link to have a discussion on exchange rates. It was to let everyone here know how the dental process is turning out. Could we keep this on topic please?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#23 Post by Gronagor » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:15 pm

Don't get it!? She's in Canada, so money from the converted US dollars will be worth more!

Too bad she's not over here in SA. $400 would have been enough (or just about) for everything she needed done.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#24 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:33 pm

Gronagor wrote:Don't get it!? She's in Canada, so money from the converted US dollars will be worth more!

Too bad she's not over here in SA. $400 would have been enough (or just about) for everything she needed done.
I dont see how it would be worth more. She had US$400 the canadian equivelant of that is $485 candian.

Same as if I convert £100 into euro's I get about 145 Euro's which is equal in value to £100 so I havnt gained anything, I still have exactly the same amount of money!

Also Vamp had to get a route canal done and have a crown put in (a gold one too) and it was FREE here in the UK!

(Sorry Swift didnt mean to go off topic I was just saying she shouldnt think she has got any extra money cos she hasnt.)

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#25 Post by Gronagor » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:38 pm

Angelus3K wrote:Same as if I convert £100 into euro's I get about 145 Euro's which is equal in value to £100 so I havnt gained anything, I still have exactly the same amount of money!

Also Vamp had to get a route canal done and have a crown put in (a gold one too) and it was FREE here in the UK!

(Sorry Swift didnt mean to go off topic I was just saying she shouldnt think she has got any extra money cos she hasnt.)
Your logic doesn't make sense at all. She lived in the US, now she's in Canada. She's got more money now, with which she can do more because of the exchange rate. If she's going back to the US, it wouldn't have been a 'score' because she'll lose that gain again when converting back, but she's staying in Canada.

For example... I'm playing around with the idea of immigrating to either England or Australia. If it's about the money I currently have, I'll go to Australia, because the exchange rate is 3 times better.

If inflation were directly connected to a currency's rise and fall, half the world wouldn't have been able to afford a loaf of bread. But (thankfully) it only has a partial influence on it.