Kings Quest 2¼: Breast Intentions

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#76 Post by Fribbi » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:28 pm

Well it seems to my I am his best betatester since I have discover so many bugs and error.  :D Has anybody here finish this game?

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#77 Post by maestro » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:31 pm

Fribbi wrote:Here is this error buggy picture for you pals.
Thanks.  Actually, I meant a screenshot of "the screen start[ing to] go[] all kaputza."

Steffi, to take a screenshot, press Alt+PrntScrn, open an MSPaint window and press Ctrl+V, then save the image as a GIF file.  This may not work in full screen mode on Windows XP.  In that case, you can use NAGI to to run the game.  If you don't know how to do that, don't worry; I think I know what you mean.
Fribbi wrote:This error only happens if you have already been there before.
You ought to be able to go down to the beach and then return to the caves in case you forgot something.  I have just tried this and am unable to duplicate the error.  Steffi, could you please e-mail me a saved game from right before it happens, and I'll look into it some more.  Thanks.
Fribbi wrote:And if I forgot the lantern thing or anything else from Daventry and want to back and climb down from that mountain near the locked cave I just fall down and die. Why?
That happens because you are weighted down with too many inventory items.  If you are missing a critical inventory item you can climb back down to Daventry.  If you fall and die when attempting to climb back down, that means that you have everything that you need from Daventry and do not need to return at this time.  It should never happen if you are missing the lantern, as that is a critical inventory item.  If it does, please e-mail me a saved game from right before it happens, and I will check it out.
Fribbi wrote:I found another bug. Do you remember when I told you when I walk on that left area and got stuck. It has a new bug because when I tried to go there I am suddenly transported in middle of screen. You will understand me when you try it out.
I'll look into it.
Fribbi wrote:I don't know if this is a bug but I don't loose any points when I drop milk when I am nearly falling off the mountain but after 3 or 4 mistakes  I will loose points.Why?
You are wearing a super-absorbant nursing bra.  It is absorbant enough to hold about four milk spills.  After that, the milk leaks onto your clothing.  You loose points for getting milk stains on your clothing.
Fribbi wrote:And I have one question now. Why does that shark near the beach never eat me or kill me? I mean I can swim without being attacked from that shark.Why?
When you figure out how to leave the island, a message will appear explaining why you didn't get eaten by the shark.  Rather than spoil the surprise, I'll let you read that message.
Fribbi wrote:I am still stuck on the beach. How can I leave from the beach.
The first part of this game is like a reverse KQ3.  Nearly everything that you do in the first part of the game is the reverse of what you did at the end of KQ3.  So just think of what you did to reach the island in KQ3 and do the reverse.

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#78 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:07 am

okay ... so, if i start from the top and get everything without having to return, the screen doesn't go kaputza.  however, me being the intelligent young woman i am, i accidentally overwrote the game where the screen does go scrambly.

i can swim out and see what i need to see, but i have no clue how to get on it.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#79 Post by maestro » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:25 am

Men and women often react differently to similar situations.  In this instance, you must do what a woman would do, as opposed to what a man would do.  (This isn't meant to be a sexist comment, but merely an observation that, I think, all of us have made.)

EDIT:  I have just uploaded a new version that corrects two bugs:  getting stuck behind the door and getting repositioned on the screen north of the beach.  There are still a few minor visual glitches on the screen north of the beach, but these appear to be difficult to fix, so I plan to leave this room as it is now, unless some new major problem is discovered.

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#80 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:25 am

i've tried asking for directions and showing boobs, neither worked.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#81 Post by maestro » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:40 am

You're on the right track.  Asking for directions was actually very close.  Think of what you would actually do if you were in this situation.  If you were in that situation, would you say, "Excuse me, but could you please tell me how to get to Llewdor"?  Of course not.  What would you do?

A very slight hint:[spoiler]Asking for directions is a specific instance of a more general action.  What is the more general action?[/spoiler]
But you should be able to figure it out from the above without the hint.

I think that those of you who are playing the game are so accustomed to absurd or fanciful solutions to puzzles that you overlook the more obvious and natural ones.  This game has only a few puzzles to solve, but I tried, as much as I could, to make the solutions the natural things that a person would do under the circumstances.  The solution to this puzzle is the most natural thing that a woman would do under the circumstances.

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#82 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:57 am

i can't interact with the ship at all.  i swim towards it, but i can't even "look" at it, let alone talk to anyone on it.  i swim out two screens, there it is, but, i can't do anything with it.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#83 Post by maestro » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:03 am

You have to swim right up to the ship, so that you are touching the ship and cannot move any further.  Then do what you have to do.

Hint:[spoiler]You have to shout something to the crew.  One word.  What would that be?[/spoiler]

Spoiler:[spoiler]Type "help" or "shout help."[/spoiler]

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#84 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:20 am

bug -

i shout what you tell me to shout, the crew "attempts to rescue me", but, nothing happens further.  if i continue to shout, i keep getting more points, but, nothing happens.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#85 Post by maestro » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:26 am

Steffi Evenstar wrote:i shout what you tell me to shout, the crew "attempts to rescue me", but, nothing happens further.
You have to wait a while for something further to happen.
Steffi Evenstar wrote:if i continue to shout, i keep getting more points, but, nothing happens.
Ah ha!  A bug I have to fix!  Thanks for pointing it out.

EDIT:  I have uploaded a new version that prevents getting additional points for repeating the same action.  I have also added responses to "look ship" and "speak crew."

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#86 Post by Fribbi » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:53 pm

Ummm what ship are you talking about I haven't see any ship?

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#87 Post by maestro » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:17 am

Fribbi wrote:Ummm what ship are you talking about I haven't see any ship?
What, exactly, do you have in your inventory?  The ship will not appear until you have the necessary items.  (This is to prevent dead ends.)  And where have you been looking for the ship?

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#88 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:41 am

okay ... i'm sure there's something i need to do during the time i wait for the crew.  but, i can't figure it out.  i've tried swinging the pick, arming myself with the pick ...  i don't wanna be a slave!

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#89 Post by maestro » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:36 am

Okay, same question I asked Fribbi:  What are you carrying in your inventory?  There's another item that you need to use, and it's not the pick.  This item isn't a trigger (if I remember correctly), so the ship will appear even if you don't have it.  (Lacking the item won't cause a dead-end, so that's why I didn't make it a trigger.)  Fribbi already has it.  If you want, you can look back over Fribbi's posts and see if he has any inventory item that you're missing.

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#90 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:48 pm

if it's the knife, when i type "use knife", it says i don't have it, yet, in the inventory, it says i do.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#91 Post by Fribbi » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:17 pm

if it's the knife, when i type "use knife", it says i don't have it, yet, in the inventory, it says i do.
Yes I have the same problem.

I have pick, knife, 10 full bottle of milk, breast pump, flint, lantern, coin, key and man's clothing so what part am I missing here Maestro?

(Oops I hope you can delete that last post for me Erpy) :o

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#92 Post by maestro » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:08 pm

Steffi Evenstar wrote:if it's the knife, when i type "use knife", it says i don't have it, yet, in the inventory, it says i do.
It's not the knife or the pick.  I'll have to add a response to "anyword knife" and "anyword pick" so you won't get that message.

Take a look at Fribbi's post right after yours.  Do you have all the things he has?

Hint:[spoiler]What do the pirates say right before they enslave you?[/spoiler]
Fribbi wrote:what part am I missing here Maestro?
You have everything you need, so the ship should appear.  Where are you looking for the ship?

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#93 Post by Fribbi » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:23 pm

On the left screen of  the beach. I know there should be ship there but there is still no ship appearing there.

Image Image

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#94 Post by maestro » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:36 pm

The ship does not appear on the beach; it appears somewhere else.  I checked the saved game you sent me.  The ship appears where it's supposed to be.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#95 Post by Fribbi » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:44 pm

That's strange because I can't see it.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#96 Post by maestro » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:12 pm

You're not in the right place to see it.  The ship does not appear in either of the two screens depicting the beach.  You must go to another screen to see the ship.  Now, let's see, where would you expect to find a ship?  In the mountains?  In the caves?  At the waterfall?

EDIT:  I have uploaded a new version which adds responses for "anyword pick" and "anyword knife," and for a few other things.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#97 Post by Fribbi » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:54 pm

I have already found the ship. I swam two screens from that screenroom I have already put up here on this thread and I could do nothing  else than drown to death. To my big surprize I was suddenly in place where the ferryman. Normally I always died when I tryed to swim to nowhere. Strange isn't?

I have managed to get up from that well. But I relized have nothing but a pick in my inventory. I found the man'clothes in the same cave I toke it?

But I can't go back down where waterfall are. So what is wrong now?

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#98 Post by maestro » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:05 pm

Fribbi wrote:I relized have nothing but a pick in my inventory.
Here's the reason for that:
[spoiler]There's a saying, "You can't take it with you."  When you die, you loose all the items in your inventory except magical items.  The place where the ferryman is is the Land of the Dead.  If you reach that place, that means that you have died.  The coin and the pick were the only two magical items; the rest were lost.  But you don't want to die just yet.  You want to find Alexander first.[/spoiler]
Fribbi wrote:I found the man'clothes in the same cave I toke it?
You should not be able to find the man's clothes more than once.  That is a bug that I'll have to fix.
Fribbi wrote:I have already found the ship. . . .  So what is wrong now?
Your next task is to board the ship.  If you've been reading my responses to Steffi, you should already know how to board the ship.  If not, here is a hint:
[spoiler]You have to think like a woman.[/spoiler]

EDIT:  I have uploaded a new version which prevents you from getting the men's clothing more than once.  The only object in the game that you can get more than once is the mushroom, which is not needed to complete the game or to get the maximum score.

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#99 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:32 am

okay - if you're referring to the men's clothes, they ignore me if i'm wearing them, and i can't change while being rescued.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#100 Post by maestro » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:59 am

Okay, you're on the right track.  This is a thinking puzzle.  If you're dressed as a woman, the crew of the ship will rescue you and then enslave you.  If you're dressed as a man, they will not rescue you.  You want them to rescue you but not enslave you.

Now think this one through.  You're almost there, actually.  This is one puzzle that would only work with a parser interface, since you have to type in the exact thing to get it to work.  (Actually, there are a few variations as to what you can type in, but it's a bit complex.)  There's no good way that I can think of to do this with a mouse interface that wouldn't be too easy, or that you couldn't get by accident.

What could you do to facilitate what you want to do?

This is one of those puzzles that you would have to do wrong first to know how to do it right.

Hint #1:[spoiler]You need to plan ahead.[/spoiler]

Hint #2:[spoiler]You can't change clothes while swimming, but can you do something else instead?[/spoiler]

Hint #3:[spoiler]Suppose that you are driving to the beach.  (I don't think that West Virginia has beaches, so you can make it a lake instead.)  You want to go swimming.  You want to wear your street clothes while driving to the swimming place and change into your bathing suit when you get there, but the place that you are going to has no changing rooms to change into your bathing suit.  What do you do?[/spoiler]