mouse cursor "switches" instead of tracking

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

peekster93

mouse cursor "switches" instead of tracking

#1 Post by peekster93 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:11 am

Hi, I have a fairly unique bug to report and wonder if it can be addressed.

I two towers hooked up to the same monitor, keyboard and mouse.  On one tower, I have Windows XP and both KQ_VGA games loaded and ran fine without problems.  But the other tower is running a win95 OS so that I can play vintage games.

the VGA versions load and seem to start fine, but my mouse cursor switches or rotates through the talk, walk, look and touch icons as I scroll across the screen.  I am unable to click the mouse at the exact moment that the appropriate action is hovering over the appropriate location.

Any patches, or fixes that you can think of?  I've installed an alternate mouse driver and can think of nothing else to do?

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#2 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:05 pm

These games were designed to run on newer systems. They require the latest version of DirectX (downloadable from Microsoft). I doubt your Win '95 system has the latest version, and that is most likely your problem.

If you can run the games on your newer system, I'd think that'd be good enough...

dosuser
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by dosuser » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:24 pm

Sounds like a problem with the mouse wheel. If the game is getting signals that the wheel is being continually scrolled, the cursors will continually rotate around. It's worth making sure DX is up to date as NavyNuke says, and I guess you could try plugging the mouse in directly rather than via the splitter box, and see if that makes any difference.