Peasant's Quest VGA

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Alliance
Knight Status

Peasant's Quest VGA

#1 Post by Alliance » Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:54 pm

Okay, I'm doing a remake off the popular Peasant's Quest game, and so far, it looks pretty good. I've tried some new VGA techniques, and I must say, I've definately improved on pics!
Anyway, here's a small teaser animation for you all.
voila!
Anyway, I'm still waiting for a response from the guys from Homestarrunner, but I'm going to go ahead with production anyway, so that I won't wait before they say it's okay. I mean, that could take a while.
Anyway, what dor you guys think?
Oh, and also, there's going to be a few new things this time around.
NEW THINGS:
-Travel to a kingdom ruled by a rude and stupid king, just like in the PQ movie promo that was an April Fool's joke
-A few Sierra cameos
-Alternate ending if you get all the points in the game
-Different alternate ending if you beat the game with extra points (yes, it will seem like a bug, but it won't be)
-More snappy dialogue
-dialogue portraits
-and other stuff
You can read a tad more about it at http://www.freewebs.com/eterniagames
Tootles.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#2 Post by Swift » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:04 pm

Can't see any picture. :(

Alliance
Knight Status

#3 Post by Alliance » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:26 pm

Hm.. weird. okay, I'll try again. Here:

The other was exactly the same, except it faded from EGA to VGA.
Okay, I've had to edit this post like 12 times. The IMG tags screwed up.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#4 Post by Alias » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:38 pm

You're getting much better. Thumbs up!

You just need to take more time with small details, like textures, and stuff. Dont rush it.

Truly much better than  you're other blob drawings. ;)

Alliance
Knight Status

#5 Post by Alliance » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:39 pm

Alias wrote:You're getting much better. Thumbs up!

You just need to take more time with small details, like textures, and stuff. Dont rush it.

Truly much better than  you're other blob drawings. ;)
Yeah, well...it took forever to find a way to make stuff like this. I'm still building on it.
Thanks for the comments, Alias.

Oh, yes. By the way, this game is going to (hopefully) have voice acting. So, if you've ever wanted to try to act, this would be a good opportunity to start.
Anyway, I'm working on this stuff...so, you know.

:D

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#6 Post by Music Head » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:28 am

That a wicked idea, it'd be cool if you keep the same charector graphics  but update the bgs look interesting and match ur not quite rite style ;)

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#7 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:47 pm

Have you contacted homestarrunner.com about this? Seeing as that game was released not too long ago, and that they are still using it for things, it might be best to leave it alone. They may not be making money off the game itself, but they have developed some merchandise based off that game.

Just a suggestion.

That back ground looks pretty good though.

Alliance
Knight Status

#8 Post by Alliance » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:10 pm

Well, I've tried emailing them, no luck yet, but I'm going to do the remake anyway. After all, it is a fangame.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#9 Post by Alias » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:30 pm

I dont think its a good idea either, using a active company's product spin off is not the great direction to go. Sierra is different tho. Why not a SQ0 remake? You mentioned it before.

Broomie
The Enigma

#10 Post by Broomie » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:48 pm

A fangame of a fangame? What an idea, that would be praised at FV.

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#11 Post by Uhanimar » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:59 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. It's just a fangame, he's not getting any money off it. It's just a little fun.

Zargaist
Peasant Status

#12 Post by Zargaist » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:53 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. It's just a fangame, he's not getting any money off it. It's just a little fun.
There's still some respect and ethic required even if the original game was not produced by a big gaming company. In fact, there's probably more respect and ethic required if the game was not produced by a big name in the 'industry'. It's not just because it will be fun to produce and play that it will automaticly be well received by the Brothers Chaps. The same way AGDI and IA would be annoyed if someone made a QFI fangame in the VGA version of Shapeir without asking their permissions. Same for SQ0.
Well, I've tried emailing them, no luck yet.
You'll probably have more luck if you email Strong Bad ;)

Alliance
Knight Status

#13 Post by Alliance » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:15 pm

Well, what's Strong Bad's email, anyway?

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#14 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:36 pm

Alliance wrote:Well, what's Strong Bad's email, anyway?
StrongBad@homestarrunner.com

Duh.

Bt

Alliance
Knight Status

#15 Post by Alliance » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:04 am

Thanks Blackthorne. I sent him a message, and now I shall wait.
To make everyone cheerful, here's a new screenie. It's Rather Dashing throwing his arms up in the air, swearing revenge on Trogdor. Whee!

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#16 Post by Uhanimar » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:41 am

Dude you guys are taking this too seriusly. Do you want to know how many commander keen fan games have been made without permission. And do you know just how strict Id is with those rights? I'm telling you, they don't care. Nobody cares about kings quest anymore and i doubt anyone would care if he made a peasents quest VGA. It doesn't matter what game it is, just making a fan game of anything is not against the law unless you sell it. Is he selling it? No. Is barly anyone going to know that it exists? No. Don't worry about it.

anathoth8
Triforce Defender

#17 Post by anathoth8 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:41 am

Uhanimar wrote:It doesn't matter what game it is, just making a fan game of anything is not against the law unless you sell it.
Sorry, Uhanimar, this is absolutely not true. The following is quoted from this page. The quote is specifically about fan fiction, but also applies here.
6) "If I make up my own stories, but base them on another work, my new work belongs to me."
   False. U.S. Copyright law is quite explicit that the making of what are called "derivative works" -- works based or derived from another copyrighted work -- is the exclusive province of the owner of the original work. This is true even though the making of these new works is a highly creative process. If you write a story using settings or characters from somebody else's work, you need that author's permission.

Yes, that means almost all "fan fiction" is arguably a copyright violation. If you want to write a story about Jim Kirk and Mr. Spock, you need Paramount's permission, plain and simple. Now, as it turns out, many, but not all holders of popular copyrights turn a blind eye to "fan fiction" or even subtly encourage it because it helps them. Make no mistake, however, that it is entirely up to them whether to do that.
I'm not going to tell you what to do. Just be aware. Ignorance is the worst possible defense.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#18 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:12 am

AGDI's remakes are made with permission from Vivendi.

They do indeed care. More than you think. Some more than others.

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#19 Post by Uhanimar » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:06 pm

anathoth8 wrote:
Uhanimar wrote:It doesn't matter what game it is, just making a fan game of anything is not against the law unless you sell it.
Sorry, Uhanimar, this is absolutely not true. The following is quoted from this page. The quote is specifically about fan fiction, but also applies here.
6) "If I make up my own stories, but base them on another work, my new work belongs to me."
   False. U.S. Copyright law is quite explicit that the making of what are called "derivative works" -- works based or derived from another copyrighted work -- is the exclusive province of the owner of the original work. This is true even though the making of these new works is a highly creative process. If you write a story using settings or characters from somebody else's work, you need that author's permission.

Yes, that means almost all "fan fiction" is arguably a copyright violation. If you want to write a story about Jim Kirk and Mr. Spock, you need Paramount's permission, plain and simple. Now, as it turns out, many, but not all holders of popular copyrights turn a blind eye to "fan fiction" or even subtly encourage it because it helps them. Make no mistake, however, that it is entirely up to them whether to do that.
I'm not going to tell you what to do. Just be aware. Ignorance is the worst possible defense.
Alright i understand that, but your still missing the point. First of all, the law SUCKS. Then again i already know that. The point is that it's just a fangame. Nobody should have to do anything. It's just a freaking fangame. The chances that anyone is going to see it is practicly 1 in a google plex. Somehow it sounds pretty wierd that they would have to have gotten permission to make it. But whatever. I can't remember anything like that appearing in the freaking licence agreement...

(I'm telling you man, that law sucks. For old things like that, nobody cares!)

EDIT: That page is also false, you don't have to get permission to do fan fics. I do them all the time and never get yelled at for them. What next, i write some poetry about AOE and get sued? I'm a little scetchy on that site.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#20 Post by Gronagor » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:23 pm

Actually all fanfic IS illegal. Why don't you hear about it? Most companies close down projects by C&D. Then they ask these projects not to make it public OTHERWISE they would take legal action. Obviously these projects will keep quiet. I don't think you realize how many fanmade amateur games have been closed down in the last decade. The same counts for fanfic... in fact: with plagirism being such a big issue nowadays, it is actually even more dangerous in that sense.

The point here is simply about 'honor among amateur developers'.

If you could choose to play Tomb Raider in EGA or VGA. Which one would you have chosen? Obviously people would rather play Alliance's VGA remake than the older version.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#21 Post by Alias » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:50 pm

Uhanimar, its simple, we dont own the rights, the companies do. You can break the law all you want but they will stop you, they have done it before.  ;)

Zargaist
Peasant Status

#22 Post by Zargaist » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:38 pm

For old things like that, nobody cares!
For your personal information, Peasant's Quest was only released 8 months ago.
I'm telling you man, that law sucks.
Look, we aren't talking about an huge company where all the copyrights belong to the publisher instead of the creators, and which have better thing to do than caring about fan fictions, we are talking about a game, an universe and the characters of the Brothers Chaps from Homestarrunner.com, there's an huge difference. Peasant's Quest, Trogdor, Rather Dashing... are creations from the Brothers Chaps which are persons who's living and life depends on their creations. It doesn't matter if the remake is free or not, It's a question of keeping the control over your creations. It's not like they're going to let anyone use their characters without their permissions, while we are there, why not stealing their characters to make our own flash animation, and Videlectrix games, and Strong Bad's Email, and Marzipan's Answering Machine, and sequels to Peasant's Quest? Would you like if after creating an universe of your own, people used your characters and universe to do anything they want? You'd totally annoyed. You might even think about stopping to release anything 'cause everyone is stealing your stuff anyway. It's the same for them. It's question of respect and that's why these laws were created.

Plus, they might have already thought about remaking Peasant's Quest or they might be interested to help Alliance in his project, for in the click events or more easter eggs or some additionnal features to the remake or just making the promotion of the remakes on their website, emailing 'em is definitivly the best thing to do.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#23 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:35 pm

Wow.  Amazing legal theory.  "That law sucks."

You, my friend, have an amazing career in front of you as a lawyer.

Bt
Last edited by Blackthorne519 on Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#24 Post by Alias » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:12 pm

Uhanimar just doesn't understand, so don't waste you're breath. Comments like that law sucks doesn't look like you take this topic serously.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#25 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:30 pm

Alias wrote:Uhanimar just doesn't understand, so don't waste you're breath. Comments like that law sucks doesn't look like you take this topic serously.
I was saying "That law sucks" isn't sound legal theory.  Read my message back with my patented brand of sarcasm.

Bt