Any advice on getting rid of unwanted attention?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

1eyedParrot
Knight Status

#26 Post by 1eyedParrot » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:31 am

Renodox wrote: As for the therapist thing: you sound like my mother. She's worried about the fact that I've already gone through my teenage years without once having a girlfriend.
Oh i'm sure you won't be lonely, there's a thriving community of 35 year old virgins still living in their parent's basements.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#27 Post by Erpy » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:00 am

friendship could lead to dating, dating could lead to marriage.
Of course, unless you permit it, this won't lead to dating or marriage. Especially not when you'd be expected to make the proposal. Unless you're afraid that despite your current opinions, you may end up growing intimate with someone anyway. (which I'd find surprising at the moment)

Anyway, like suggested, just mention you choose for celibacy when people try to date you. Don't cut things off that could still be a friendship instead of a romantic involvement.
As for the therapist thing: you sound like my mother. She's worried about the fact that I've already gone through my teenage years without once having a girlfriend.
Going through your teenage years without a girlfriend is not necessarily something to worry about. Doing so because you abhor human contact may be somewhat more concerning though.

Skyshark
Knight Status

#28 Post by Skyshark » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:30 am

As for the therapist thing: you sound like my mother. She's worried about the fact that I've already gone through my teenage years without once having a girlfriend.
Heh, I went through high school without a GF and I turned out ok. I was too shy and had too high expectations, so I decided I wasn't quite ready at the time. That, and I didn't want to perform a half-arsed attempt at a relationship due to time and money constraints.

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

#29 Post by Renodox » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:41 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's what she said.

Actually, one of my reasons for keeping away from other people is because I've always liked the things in which "love" is rejected:

Seinfeld:
She had MAN hands
He's a re-gifter
She's a Two Face
She's got the jimmy legs
She's a virgin
He's poor
She's got everything I've always wanted in another human being... except for the walking
She eats her peas one at a time
She just took credit for my salad
She went out with NEWMAN
He's a male bimbo, he's a mimbo!
She's one of these low talkers
You know because he's a high talker!
Kind of a close talker
She can't hear very well out her left ear
He's a bad breaker-uper
He's like a sfven-jolly
She's too tan
She too good
She wasn't my type

Or in Muppet Christmas Carol, that song, The Love is Gone. My favorite line in that is, "It was almost love, It was axlmost always, it was like a fairy-tale we'd live out you and I." I say, EXACTLY like a fairy tale because fairy tales aren't real!

Anyway, should I give up and submit to liking someone then I'd be a fool for liking these things. And while I wouldn't consciously allow myself to like someone more than just a friend, I've been warned that it can happen sub-consciously.

See, one of the things to remember though is that this isn't a spur of the moment thing. It's been going on for years. I never even went to one of the school dances. I was nominated for Prom King once (Remember the movie Carrie?) but I declined my name to be put on the voting list.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#30 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:44 am

I went through my teenage years with just two girlfriends; each of whom I "dated" for less than two weeks!!

I was a cynic about relationships and love. People here can attest to that, with some of the silly jargon I wrote.

Sometimes, life hits you like a brick - but you like it. I'm totally in love now with this completely amazing girl...... and I never thought I would be.

Bt

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#31 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:28 am

Whenever someone of the opposite sex talks to you, reply to everything they say with, "The octopus got me!" And then start choking yourself around the neck with both hands. That should do the trick!

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#32 Post by Spikey » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:56 am

Renodox wrote::lol :lol :lol
Don't stop! I'm LOVING this!

Anyway, my dislike of these things is so far that it gets into my DREAMS. I have rejected a whole mess of people in my dreams (Some of which were weirder than others). Anyway, I say that it DOESN'T violate the laws of nature. If you read up on the sausage fly you'll find that it is the females that go after him AND it's not pleasent. His wings are clipped and he's dragged away.

I'm sorry Renodox, imo you keep repeating all of the sentences that I wrote up there. And I don't worry about the fact that you didn't have a girlfriend in your teenage years, that's a pretty normal thing considering your personality, as far as I can see from here and make out from what you write.

Jafar
Super Star

#33 Post by Jafar » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:13 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir
I'm guessing you're testing the end of the game.

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

#34 Post by Renodox » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:16 pm

I'm sorry Renodox, imo you keep repeating all of the sentences that I wrote up there. And I don't worry about the fact that you didn't have a girlfriend in your teenage years, that's a pretty normal thing considering your personality, as far as I can see from here and make out from what you write.
All right, all right! I'll quit writing the same thing over and over. One thing about me that must be remembered however, is that I don't like to change my mind about things. It's like people that continuously try at something and fail. If it goes on into YEARS, one of the reasons for this may be that if you give up then you've wasted all that time. It makes you a fool for trying for so long. So, even if you fail you will still try, which may make you seem like a fool to other people but not to yourself. That's something that I don't want. I don't want to feel like a fool for giving up so I won't!

The Avatar
Knight Status

#35 Post by The Avatar » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:35 pm

Renodox,
My advice is to be yourself, and be honest. You're obviously a nice guy, so you shouldn't worry about hurting other people's feelings. They can't control your life, and you shouldn't try to control theirs. If you don't want to smile back at girls, don't.. but they can smile at you all they want. It won't lead anywhere.

One day I believe you will run into The One. She will be the most perfect girl for you and it'll happen all of a sudden. No smiles or lifting of skirts, just one day you'll wake up and go about your business, then she'll find her way into your life, and you'll love every second of it. -- But no degree of worrying over smiles will change the outcome of that day, the worrying will merely cause excess stress in your life up to that point.

So, again.. be yourself, be honest, and enjoy life. If you can't do that AND avoid human contact at the same time, then you should forget about this bet and be happy.. but if it does make you happy, then I think you're fine. Good Luck.

1eyedParrot
Knight Status

Re: Avatar Advice

#36 Post by 1eyedParrot » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:24 pm

The Avatar wrote:Renodox,
One day I believe you will run into The One. She will be the most perfect girl for you and it'll happen all of a sudden.
Renodox and a sex changed Jet Li? Interesting match, har har har.

JWar
Knight Status

#37 Post by JWar » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Man, I was worried in highschool when I hadn't had a girlfriend for over a month. I can remember sharply the intense feelings of hopelessness when I came to realise another months had passed with me being girlfriendless. The emptiness inside me when going to school without being able to look foreword to those precious five minutes before classes or the holding hands during them...

If you're still looking for a way to rid yourself of the awesome raw sexual magnetism you seem to be radiating, try and going to the local art store. Before going there, do some research on strange rashes and marks that could be visible on your face or neck, if you had the sickness that causes them. Print a picture of it, in colour, and take it along to the store. Try and find the exact colour matches in strong, not waterbased, paints.

Before going to school the next day, spend an extra half an hour in front of the mirror in your bathroom. Apply the paint in very small amounts, just barely visible, on your face, preferably on or around your lips. Then, go to school and absently touch the mark every now and again. Just keep on doing this, with increasing amounts of paint, for a few days, don't wash, and I assure you, they'll fly away from you like hippies from a dope-raid.

Just my 2 cents.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#38 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:15 pm

Jafar: Nope, not quite yet. I've just been feeling heroic lately, that's all.
Renodox and a sex changed Jet Li? Interesting match, har har har.
Jet li? I thought he was talking about Neo!

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

#39 Post by Renodox » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:08 pm

Sex changed Jet Li? Neo?

:| I can only think of two responses for that.

1. I don't go for those blind dates (Haven't the slightest on who these people are after all).

2. That's DISGUSTING! Someone get a book of law to throw at them!

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#40 Post by Swift » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:13 pm

Renodox wrote:(Haven't the slightest on who these people are after all).
Please say you're kidding. You don't know who they are?! You have got to watch more movies.

Jet Li is an actor who starred in "The One". Neo is the character from "The Matrix" movies.

1eyedParrot
Knight Status

#41 Post by 1eyedParrot » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:05 pm

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

#42 Post by Renodox » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:16 am

Please say you're kidding. You don't know who they are?! You have got to watch more movies.

Jet Li is an actor who starred in "The One". Neo is the character from "The Matrix" movies.
No. I'm not kidding. I never watched either The One or The Matrix. I've never really liked movies that show more special effects than anything else and I hate most action movies anyway. I've seen the previews for both movies and I wasn't impressed. Besides, I'm pretty bad with names. It's like when someone asked if I knew who Michael Keaton was. I replied, "Yeah I know who he is. He's the guy that wrote Jurrasic Park." Annoyed the other guy said, "That's Michael CRITON. "

Posted: 16 Sep 2004 16:35 Post subject: Avatar Advice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Renodox,
My advice is to be yourself, and be honest. You're obviously a nice guy, so you shouldn't worry about hurting other people's feelings. They can't control your life, and you shouldn't try to control theirs. If you don't want to smile back at girls, don't.. but they can smile at you all they want. It won't lead anywhere.

One day I believe you will run into The One. She will be the most perfect girl for you and it'll happen all of a sudden. No smiles or lifting of skirts, just one day you'll wake up and go about your business, then she'll find her way into your life, and you'll love every second of it. -- But no degree of worrying over smiles will change the outcome of that day, the worrying will merely cause excess stress in your life up to that point.

So, again.. be yourself, be honest, and enjoy life. If you can't do that AND avoid human contact at the same time, then you should forget about this bet and be happy.. but if it does make you happy, then I think you're fine. Good Luck.
UGH! :x :x :x
No offense, but that has to be the corniest, most care-bear kind of advice I've heard (although my mother has commented that being myself may be the best way to REPEL people). A year ago, in one of my classes, I was given a quote to read and then I had to explain whether I agreed with it or not. The quote was: "The secret to enjoying life is not to experience it at all." I agree with that quote.l After all, if somebody claims something like, "The most wonderful thing has happened to me today." Nobody say's, "That's life." If somebody claims, "I just lost $500!" The first thing out of some people's mouths is, "That's life." :p

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#43 Post by Erpy » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:16 am

After all, if somebody claims something like, "The most wonderful thing has happened to me today." Nobody say's, "That's life." If somebody claims, "I just lost $500!" The first thing out of some people's mouths is, "That's life."
I think you're taking this sort of thing out of context.

This kind of reasoning is part of human tendency to downplay bad things and keep a positive attitude. It's called relativation. When something bad happens, saying "that's life" is basically downplaying it. "That's life" is short for: "bad things happen to everyone once in a while, it's part of life so cheer up and get over it". "It happens to everyone once in a while, so let's get over it" is not something you say when someone experiences something enjoyable. The enjoyable experiences in life are embraced and the bad experiences are relativated. That's the way people keep up a healthy morale.

Meerbat
The Winged Suricate

#44 Post by Meerbat » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:45 pm

Extending on the "relativation" idea, when something gets accidentally (not intentionally like in Greece :p ) broken in Bulgaria, it is considered a sign of good fortune. I personally think it's just superstitious crap, just a way not to get mad at the loss of a precious glass, plate or whatever fragile item that got broken.

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

#45 Post by Renodox » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:28 pm

You know, the question that I've always had on my mind is this: Why do most people believe that EVERYONE will eventually find love? See, people CLAIM that there's someone out there for everyone but that would indicate an even number of people in the world. However, I doubt that to be true. Furhtermore, it's like the question the Prince asks in Ever After: "There's supposed to be someone for everyone in the world, right? Well, suppose that one of them is struck by lighting. Then what...?"

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#46 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:34 pm

Why do most people believe that EVERYONE will eventually find love?
Its in our nature.

1eyedParrot
Knight Status

#47 Post by 1eyedParrot » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:45 pm

Renodox wrote:Why do most people believe that EVERYONE will eventually find love?
Many people are insecure about who they are and carry a belief that having a romantic partner will give meaning to their lives when all that they are really looking for is the security of personal identity that they can't achieve on their own.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#48 Post by Spikey » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:44 pm

Yeah 1eyed, that, or some people just like to achive things on their own and have a partner as well. :lol

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#49 Post by fluxmaster » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:31 am

Renodox wrote:Why do most people believe that EVERYONE will eventually find love?
Well, I think it's one of those things that's meant to be a slight exaggeration. For example, when people say, "Every cloud has a silver lining," they know that there are a few exceptions, but it's true in nearly all cases.

But in the case of a male, since women outnumber men in nearly all cultures, and gay men outnumber lesbians, the odds are in favor of a man finding love. The exception would be a country in which polygamy is permitted. In those cultures the wealthy and powerful men hoard up the women, and there are masses of men who can never find love, and who are thus ripe for being recruited into various radical causes.

Thepal
Knight Status

#50 Post by Thepal » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:28 am

fluxmaster wrote:But in the case of a male, since women outnumber men in nearly all cultures, and gay men outnumber lesbians, the odds are in favor of a man finding love.
Just had to say that isn't exactly true when it comes to dating. Generally the girls will be on a queue for certain guys and the guy will go through them one by one :P (or several at a time) I know an entire group of female friends that have all dated the same guys. I find it strange that women don't seem to care if guys have been with all their friends first... I think I'm slightly off-topic here :P

Anyway, back to the original topic, if you don't want girls smiling at you, don't make eye-contact. It is that simple. If you're making eye-contact then you're asking for the smile. Yes, it is all your fault that they are interested