The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Cheering

#701 Post by Brainiac » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:34 am

Erpy wrote:After all that bragging of yours about this, I think I already made up my mind about who to cheer for. ;)
Neither one? :D

Just kidding.

And with the 700 response in this thread, I announce I have won a free GBASP and a copy of FF: Dawn of Souls.  I'm not convinced I'll enjoy the version, but at least I can give the GBA to my friend who still lacks one (or maybe I'll give him my old one instead :p ).

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#702 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:33 am

Wow Brainiac how did you win that??

Erpy it matters not who you cheer for, only matters who wins!!  ;)

There is no try! Only do, or do not. - Yoda

Skyshark
Knight Status

#703 Post by Skyshark » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:54 am

w00t! GTA: San Andreas has now been officially finished by yours truly. Good thing with reattempting the last mission is that I left off at the cutscene before I stuffed up, so I didn't need to restart that mission from the absolute beginning. Now I'm going to go around and finish off what I can.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#704 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:52 am

Congrats Skyshark!!

Here is where I am upto

[spoiler]Just started Pilot School!![/spoiler]

Also just purchased this Flash Linker for my GBA-SP. Can't wait to legally back up my games!!

KKuhlman
The Silent Witness

#705 Post by KKuhlman » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:15 pm

Who needs pilot school, I've been flying in that game almost instantly after the opening movie... Didn't even need a plane! Too bad I never survive those suicidal leaps.. Hmm... Now that might be why I never get any missions done in it..

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#706 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:02 pm

Hey Soul try using a parachute when jumping out of planes lol!

There's one on top of Mount Chiliad.

And what I mean by I'm upto Pilot School is that you have to complete Pilot School as part of the story in a mission.

I too of course piled some cars up and jumped over the fence as Los Santos Airport  :lol

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Sweepstakes

#707 Post by Brainiac » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:23 am

Angelus3K wrote:Wow Brainiac how did you win that??
Frequenting a lot of RPG News website and entering all the DoS sweepstakes on a whim (I think I got in 3 total; one in 3 isn't to shabby). :D

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#708 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:15 am

Congrats for winning! I dont think I've ever won anything like that!

So can any of you guys recommend Metroid Zero Mission or Metroid Fusion for my GBA? I've never played Metroid before apart from a quick runaround on the SNES one.

I just love Next Day Delivery!! Got my flash linker at 8am w00t!! To bad I have to charge it for 8 hours before use though  :cry

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#709 Post by Spikey » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:12 pm

I didn't buy Zero Mission yet (yeah, I know, don't talk about it), but I heard it's a great remake.

Metroid Fusion rocks. It's a bit more lineair than most Metroid games though. Here's the story for your convenience;

"I'd been assigned to watch over Biologic's research team so I once again found myself on the surface of SR388. It was there that I was attacked by a life-form I had never encountered before. It was only later that I learned the identity of my attacker: the parasitic organism we now know as X. Unaware of my condition, I was returning to the station when disaster struck.
Once the X had infested my central nervous system, I lost consciousness and my ship drifted into an asteroid belt. The ship's emergency systems automatically ejected the escape pod before impact. Biologic's vessel recovered it and transported me to Galactic Federation HQ. However, during the journey, the X multiplied within me, corrupting large areas of my Power Suit.

It then came to light that the organic components of my Power Suit had become so integrated with my system that it could not be removed while I was unconscious. Large portions of my suit had to be surgically removed, dramatically altering my physical appearance. However, the X in my central nervous system was too embedded to be removed safely. I was given a minimal chance of survival.

Then, someone found a cure.

They proposed using a Metroid cell to make an anti-X vaccine. It seems that the Federation had managed to preserve a cell culture from the last infant Metroid from SR388. The serum was prepared and injected without delay. The X parasites were immediately and completely destroyed. As for me, one life ended... yet I survived, reborn as something different. Pondering this fact, I realize... I owe the Metroid hatchling my life twice over.

"We'll soon be arriving at the B.S.L. research station. I must prepare for docking."

The ship's computer has notified me of our approach to the Biologic Space Labs, or B.S.L, research station. During my surgery, the research team sent the last batch of creatures we captured there, as well as the infected pieces of my Power Suit. After regaining consciousness, I learned that an unexplained explosion rocked the station. For some reason, this awoke a nameless fear in my heart, and now I am being sent there to investigate.

My mission on the B.S.L station will be overseen by my new ship's computer. Following the commands of this blunt, computerized CO is something I have to bear, as it was a condition of my taking the ship. For someone who dislikes taking orders, this is the second time I've found myself having to do so. It makes me recall my other CO."

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Metroid

#710 Post by Brainiac » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:10 am

Angelus3K wrote:So can any of you guys recommend Metroid Zero Mission or Metroid Fusion for my GBA? I've never played Metroid before apart from a quick runaround on the SNES one.
Ah, Super Metroid...utter gaming goodness.

Fusion and Zero Mission are both extrapolations of the model of Super Metroid, so if you liked that one, you'll likely enjoy both.  However, the two games are far more linearly restricted than either the original NES game or the SNES sequel (the GB Return of Samus was rather linear as well).  That puts off some die-hard fans, but it's not too bad.

I prefer Fusion over Zero Mission, though that may be mostly because I played the original Metroid first (so a remake is never as good) and the new directions in the Metroid plotline intrigued me.  However, if you haven't played the original before, you might want to start with Zero Mission.

And if you get the chance, in a word...Prime.

Am I right, Spikes? :D

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#711 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:50 am

I played Prime and Echoes and I hated it.  Just hated it.  FPS infiltrated my favorite platforming series of all time.  I'm so upset.  I won't ever play another Metroid game like that again.

In other news, I've been playing Zero Mission like crazy, and I'm about to play Fusion.

Bt

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#712 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:26 am

Heh I got Metroid 1 on NES for 5 bucks off a friend (He also sold us FF1 same price) Metroid 2 (which I never really liked) Super metroid (is sitting in my SNES beside me right now) ...which one was 4? Oh yes fusion I liked that one the best and Prime. I played 10 minutes of prime and never again. My brother beat it and really likes the games. I've never beaten any but Super metroid fusion (and Zero which I also have) were good I just never got around to beating em much like Final Fantasy except metroid doesn't average a game 40 hours long. However I bought Metroid Prime 2 Echoes for my brother on christams because he loves the games and he returned it because it seemed way to simmilar to prime and he had had enough with the first one AND FPS ARE HIS FAVOURITE KIND OF GAME!

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#713 Post by Spikey » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:20 am

Blackthorne519 wrote:I played Prime and Echoes and I hated it.  Just hated it.  FPS infiltrated my favorite platforming series of all time.  I'm so upset.  I won't ever play another Metroid game like that again.

In other news, I've been playing Zero Mission like crazy, and I'm about to play Fusion.

Bt
Metroid falls in the category of side-scrolling-action-adventure, not platform-action. Metroid Prime falls shifted to a new category, FPS-action-adventure. It could be that people don't like it, still, it was the game of the year.

SmoKey
Royal Servant Status

#714 Post by SmoKey » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:10 am

Metroid on the NES....Much love for that game!

I still hate fighting Ridley to this day.  >:

Broomie
The Enigma

#715 Post by Broomie » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:42 am

It's funny, Angelus for the last couple of week has been waiting for me to get Smackdown Vs Raw so we could have a match, well now I have it and now I'm waiting for him to get his Ethernet cable back! C'mon Angelus! :p

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#716 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:00 am

Lol I know. I ordered a new network adapter off play.com yesterday so I should get it Monday or Tuesday I reckon!

Broomie
The Enigma

#717 Post by Broomie » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:03 am

That's good enough, I'll train my CAW up until Monday, he'll be fast and strong. ;)

Btw, is the Legend Undertaker the same as he was in HCTP or does he look any different?

VampD3
Queen of the Night and Moderator

#718 Post by VampD3 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:21 am

I didnt unlock him yet so I dunno! I'll have to start replaying it myself, I left it about 3 weeks ago.

I'll just be playing as John Cena!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#719 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:25 am

What she (I) said.

BTW Any of you GTA players notice Fernado Martinez from Vice City appear on San Andreas talk radio WCTR!

He was my favourite DJ in Vice City and he's really funny too in San Andreas!

Broomie
The Enigma

#720 Post by Broomie » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:23 pm

Isn't that the British one who is in Football Factory?

Just bought Legend Kane, but it's annoying how they're using Kane's new music, I prefer his old music, especially with the organ at the start.

And have you noticed how lame the Undertaker entrance is? What's with the druids at the start? Day of Reckoning is much better with the entrances! And gameplay... and graphics... and creating wrestlers. Even Season mode is abit better, the only thing that SVR is good the decisions you can make in Season mode, in DOR you can't make a decision it's basically just something happening to you each week and you can't help it. Although I like the concept of starting out as a nobody and then becoming a Superstar. Angelus, if you can get one cheap I advise you to get a Gamecube and buy Day of Reckoning.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#721 Post by Pidgeot » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:19 pm

Bromios wrote:Angelus, if you can get one cheap I advise you to get a Gamecube and buy Day of Reckoning.
Tip: Try Argos or Woolworths. ;)

SmoKey
Royal Servant Status

#722 Post by SmoKey » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:06 pm

Angelus3K wrote:What she (I) said.

BTW Any of you GTA players notice Fernado Martinez from Vice City appear on San Andreas talk radio WCTR!

He was my favourite DJ in Vice City and he's really funny too in San Andreas!
Nah, I didn't notice that...but I did notice that one of the DJ's voices has got to be Terminator X from Public Enemy.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#723 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:06 pm

Whoohoo!! I have my new Network Adapter!!

Broomie the game is on!!

Skyshark
Knight Status

#724 Post by Skyshark » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:03 am

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#725 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:30 am

Skyshark wrote:http://www.famitsu.com/sp/050112_movie_tekken5.wmv

Tekken 5 Intro Movie. :D
Sweet!

They are also including Tekken 1 as a bonus with Tekken 5 but its not yet clear whether it will be the PS1 version or whether it will run natively on the PS2.