What's the Difference?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

What's the Difference?

#1 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:02 am

Now guys first understand I am extremely happy and it is 2AM.

I was wondering if anyone (else) knows the difference between love and true love post thoughts comments or whatever I'm sure some people here can make this very interesting. As for me I'll post my reasoning later.

Jafar
Super Star

#2 Post by Jafar » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:02 am

Hasn't anyone ever told you that it's impossible to define true love? :p
Hmm...I'll have to think on this for a while...
True love goes beyond love. (Duh) When you're truly in love, you can share everything with your one true love, so to speak. :p
The good times, the bad times, everything. You'll be there for them, and they'll be there for you. You'll laugh with them, cry with them, and always their friend.

As for love, I'm tired. Let someone else explain. :p

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

Re: What's the Difference?

#3 Post by Music Head » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:28 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:anyone (else) knows the difference between love and true love
huh???

Broomie
The Enigma

#4 Post by Broomie » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:14 am

True Love, everytime you look at them you get funny feelings. You basically automatically smile when you see them in the distance, it's basically an allergic reaction to love, but in a good way.

Love, in my opinion, is more like Lust. You love your girlfriend, but only for looks and abit of personality. Yet while she's talking to you, you're either staring blankly at her breasts or imagining her naked in bed with you whilst you both engage in sexual activities. It's not "I love you because I do" type of feeling, it's more of a "I'd love to, you know, me and her, you know."

Anyway that's the Britch (poor mock of Hitch) Master of Love signing off.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:06 pm

True love is a transcendental experience.

Love is some chemicals messing with your mind.

Bt

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#6 Post by Klytos » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:41 pm

There's a difference between infatuation, lust and love.

Lust - I want her
Infatuation - She is amazing, I want her
Love - I want her to want me

Thats the way I see it.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:48 pm

There's no difference between true love and love. If love isn't true/genuine, it's not love to begin with. It may be attraction/lust, but not love.

I'd say that love (as opposed to lust) is more selfless. It involves you wanting to see the other happy, just because you care for him/her, rather than getting something directly out of it yourself.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#8 Post by Vildern » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:53 pm

I've fallen desperately in love several times in my life. I can easily fall in love. Ach...

What I define 'true love' , or let's call it 'love on another level' is when passion takes the highest toll, it has the upper hand, it's overflowing. Your heart is never satisfied. You think about her, and imagine yourself together in 5, 10, 15 years from now. You go to bed with a laugh and wakes up with a smile. If babies define time as the gaps between meals, you define time as the gaps between your meetings/conversations/dates/etc.

It is not to be confused with lust. When lust subsides/ends, then your relationship is over. Overflowing passion is the first stage in true love. At least, this is what my experience taught me.

There is not much difference between love and true love, true love just strikes hard :p

Then the term true love is misused, you just use it to say that you're in love behind your senses.

In anyway, being in love is being selfless, as Erpy said, and I agree.
Last edited by Vildern on Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VampD3
Queen of the Night and Moderator

#9 Post by VampD3 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:10 pm

When you first meet someone its always exciting and great and fun. People then think its love. I think Love happens when that bit of the relationship subsides. You get to the comfortable stage where its still fun but less exciting, only then you know wether your in love and can stay together, once the "newness" and excitement has subsided to something new.

I didn't truely know I loved Angelus till at least a year into our relationship. But Vildern is right, its the waking up with a smile and going to bed with one, next to that person. I love that.  :)

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#10 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:37 pm

as a girl in love ... here's my thoughts on the matter.

love is knowing that you might get hurt, you might get screwed over, but somehow, you do it anyway.  you do it anyway, because there's also the chance that you won't get screwed over, you won't get hurt.  love is looking at the person, and knowing their faults, knowing that they do things that drive you nuts, and it's not that you love them despite these flaws .... part of why you love them is because of these "defects."  you see these flaws as part of who they are.  love is looking at this person, and knowing that you could wake up next to them every day for the rest of your life, and the thought doesn't scare you.  love is forgiveness, not dwelling on past slights.  love isn't waiting until your next romp in the sack, it's counting down the hours until you're in their arms again.  love is seeing the world through new eyes.  

yeah ... i'm a sap in love.  just wish i knew how he felt about me.

i think i need to go for a walk now.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

My two cents

#11 Post by Brainiac » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:37 pm

The way I've always thought of the definition of true love is, as others have said, selfless.  True love causes one to open one's own defenses and let someone in completely, regardless of the possible pain down the road.  True love also places the beloved's happiness above one's own.  Like the old line says, "If you love something, set it free.  If it leaves, it was never yours.  If it returns, it's yours forever."  I always felt that someone truly in love would willingly give up his or her beloved to another if the beloved were more happy that way.

I suppose, in a sense, true love has more of an unrequited element to it.  But that's just my way of seeing it.  Next opinion...

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#12 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:00 am

Oh, Love is the excuse we create when we need some kind of moral reason to have intercourse for fun, not procreation.

Bt

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#13 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:55 am

I said that true love is somewhat of the next level. It's when it isn't about founding a relationship anymore but it gets to the point where everything they do affects you the same as what you do. As if you've traded a half of your soul to someone for half of theirs and everything good and bad is exchanged. It's the point where you don't need to say "I love you" because it's so obviously known to eachother (but it doesn't hurt at all to say it) I just wanted to see if I was the only one with the same views (whoa this topic grew in 18 hours pretty rapidly)

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#14 Post by Vildern » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:28 am

Blackthorne519 wrote:True love is a transcendental experience.

Love is some chemicals messing with your mind.

Bt
A beautiful word. What does it  (transcendental) mean? :)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Definition

#15 Post by Brainiac » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:27 pm

Vildern wrote:What does it  (transcendental) mean? :)
Transcendental, according to my dictionary, can mean "surpassing all others; superior" or "beyond common thought or experience; mystical or supernatural."  There are also philosophical and mathematical definitions, but I think those two definitions are the most appropriate for Bt's usage.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#16 Post by Vildern » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:10 pm

Wow, if Brainiac had to check it up in a dictionary, then it must be a really nasty word :p

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Check

#17 Post by Brainiac » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:34 pm

Nah, just tryin' to be thorough and accurate. :D

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#18 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:40 am

WHOA BRAINIAC I have the exact same number of posts as you! (well I have 715 now because of this post but still WHOA!)

*is still suffering from drunken side effects*
Last edited by Quest For Glory Fan on Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Klytos

#19 Post by Klytos » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:59 am

Blackthorne519 wrote:Oh, Love is the excuse we create when we need some kind of moral reason to have intercourse for fun, not procreation.

Bt
:rollin

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#20 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:46 am

haha my girlfriend saw this today and when she read that post she hit me. I was like "Well if you think about it he is right" *EVIL STARE AT QFGF* "...Bt is a funny guy just don't take him seriously and you'll see what I mean... no he's just crazy you're right"

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#21 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:26 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:haha my girlfriend saw this today and when she read that post she hit me. I was like "Well if you think about it he is right" *EVIL STARE AT QFGF* "...Bt is a funny guy just don't take him seriously and you'll see what I mean... no he's just crazy you're right"
If you think I'm crazy, you should see my girlfriend.  She makes me look relativly sane.   She takes the Woman=Crazy thing to the Nth degree.   I think that's love; sticking by a totally insane woman, because you know life just isn't as cool without her.

I mean totally insane, however, in that general mocking tone, not that "She eats her own poo for breakfast" way.

Bt

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#22 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:49 pm

Blackthorne I don't actually think you're crazy. I just said that so I wouldn't get hit again. If anything I love your craziness in a non "true" way. I thought you said you were afraid of a Mrs. Bt cause she would "kick the crapp outta me and a lil bt would kick the crap outta me in 20 years" who knows maybe you'll be "lucky in love" andactually stop hating woman.

Then again I'm probably the crazy one

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Grrrr...

#23 Post by Brainiac » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:40 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:WHOA BRANIAC I have the exact same number of posts as you!
For the last time, it's BRAINIAC, as in someone who is intelligent, not BRANIAC, as in someone obsessed with Kellogg's Raisin Bran! :D

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

Re: Grrrr...

#24 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:17 am

Brainiac wrote:
Quest For Glory Fan wrote:WHOA BRANIAC I have the exact same number of posts as you!
For the last time, it's BRAINIAC, as in someone who is intelligent, not BRANIAC, as in someone obsessed with Kellogg's Raisin Bran! :D
Either that, or someone obsessed with a clean colon.

Bt

Klytos

#25 Post by Klytos » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:02 am

You people are weird.