Sierra Classic Series being Re-released

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Def Zeppelin
Royal Servant Status

#76 Post by Def Zeppelin » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:13 pm

Companies use hype to increase sales.  I bet they even tell us that they wouldn't be making any more games within a series just to prepare us for another sequel.  Why would they tell their customers they won't be making any more games to that series? Frankly, I don't think they care *usually.*  If enough people still want the sequels they will make the game...if very few say they want it, I doubt they would care enough to tell you no more would be made.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Final Fantasy

#77 Post by Brainiac » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:23 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:I do recall a time in 1998 when something along these lines were said about the release of Dragon Fire. "We are sad to announce that this is definetly the final chapter of our story and it isn't coming back" although I geuss the same was said about Final Fantasy.
Final Fantasy was named as SquareSoft was on the ropes at the time and if the game didn't take off, they would have folded.  Obviously, it was a smashing success.

Dragon Fire was always intended to be the final chapter.  There was an intended multiplayer expansion pack but that was never completed.  There were considerations of creating a new QfG game with a new Hero, but Sierra's demise pretty much ended that idea.

As to the return of the series...we shall see (but don't hold your breath).

Fender178
Knight Status

#78 Post by Fender178 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:54 pm

I agree. Its highly unlikely that vivendi will make another qfg game but they might change thier minds though.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#79 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:50 am

Yes Brainiac that's what I was referring to FF-wise. I didn't know about QFG5's expansion idea but I did recall a multiplayer possibility. I think it was the export option at the end that got peoples hopes up.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#80 Post by Alias » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:26 pm

The story can still continue, or maybe another new QFG game in the same universe just as a different character.

Fender178
Knight Status

#81 Post by Fender178 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:45 am

Im hoping that Vivendi is sucessful at reselling these games so they will re-release the qfg collection becuase I would like to get that because I havent played that sieries before and I would like to try it out.

Skyshark
Knight Status

#82 Post by Skyshark » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:28 am

IMO, a new QFG would be more like a MMO adventure than the beginning of a new series, due to the many possibilities in the ending of QFG5 that conflict with one another that would make a direct sequel a migraine to sort out in order to satisfy whatever outcome was chosen (Elsa or Hero becoming the King of Silmaria, who was resurrected from Hades, whether you became Chief Thief or not, etc). A new character, new land, and possibly even a new timeline all together could solve this, with vague references to past events from the previous games noted at various points.

That's the only practical way I can see it happening.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#83 Post by Alias » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:37 pm

Skyshark wrote:IMO, a new QFG would be more like a MMO adventure than the beginning of a new series, due to the many possibilities in the ending of QFG5 that conflict with one another that would make a direct sequel a migraine to sort out in order to satisfy whatever outcome was chosen (Elsa or Hero becoming the King of Silmaria, who was resurrected from Hades, whether you became Chief Thief or not, etc). A new character, new land, and possibly even a new timeline all together could solve this, with vague references to past events from the previous games noted at various points.

That's the only practical way I can see it happening.
Like a world of Warcraft style? I'd love to see an original 3rd person action adventure game playing as the paladin Erana, and all her ventures.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#84 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:29 pm

you know the first thing Alias would do if that were the case

*swing camera around and lower*
*Center Breasts*
*Zoom*
*Zoom*
*Zoom*

jk man, I think it would be cool but I doubt it could compete with WoW. Not saying that because I play it. I say it because Warcraft had a much larger fanbase then QFG did near the end. Also QFG5 being released in 1998 and Warcraft 3 being released in... 2001?I think it would be taken lightly... unless you didn't have to pay to play and there was a single player option.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Erana

#85 Post by Brainiac » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:52 pm

Alias wrote:I'd love to see an original 3rd person action adventure game playing as the paladin Erana, and all her ventures.
Someone needs to go back and play QfG again... :D

As Rakeesh said in Silmaria, "She was a Paladin in all but name."  Her correct title is Archmage (or Archmagess, if you want to be really picky).

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#86 Post by Alias » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:44 pm

Picky, picky! :p

Still I think Erana was the one with the best stories one could tell. IF only we could live them.

Fender178
Knight Status

#87 Post by Fender178 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:56 pm

Well its down to 3 days until the Compilations are released.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#88 Post by Alias » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:53 pm

I dont really care now, It doesnt ship to the UK.  :(

Angelus> Do you have any details on how one could aquire these wihtout being in the USA?  :p

Broomie
The Enigma

#89 Post by Broomie » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:16 pm

Alias wrote:I dont really care now, It doesnt ship to the UK.  :(

Angelus> Do you have any details on how one could aquire these wihtout being in the USA?  :p
How do you know it's not going to released anyway? Remember USA gets everything first. They get the advertisements first. We'll probably see the compilations in January or something along with the rest of Europe.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#90 Post by Alias » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:19 pm

I would think most of the money would be made in Europe.

Fender178
Knight Status

#91 Post by Fender178 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:37 am

Maybe if the Compilations are sucessful in selling here in the U.S they might be re released in other countries. I predict that the Compilations might get relased in the U.K problay by x-mas at the earilest.