Norton System works scanning becomes disabled

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

blet447

Norton System works scanning becomes disabled

#1 Post by blet447 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:43 am

Downloaded and saved KQ1VGA, and speech pack.  The music pack never finished downloading, it seemed to stall midway through the process.  Anyway I saved the other two files two my hard drive and attempted to scan them with Norton.  As it turned out NONE of the scan features worked after I downloaded the game and speech pack.  I promptly deleted the files and tried to restart my computer which also did not respond so I manually shut it down from the tower.  After doing so I went into safe mode and did a scan that way.  The Norton worked that time but did not pick anything up.  I then restarted the computer and my Norton was functioning normally after that.

It just so happened that I previously installed all three files last week and the same situation occured with my Norton, I ended up cleaning out the hard drvie and reinstalling windows XP to clear out what I think is a virus.  Suggestions or comments because I think the game is corrupt or I am lacking an operating requirment?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:13 pm

The complete filesizes of the game and both packs are listed on the download page:

Download KQ1VGA (v3.0) now (20.5 MB)
Download the Music Pack now (26.8 MB)
Download the Speech Pack now (2.89 MB)

You should be able to compare the size of the file that you downloaded with these sizes to ensure that you managed to get the entire thing and not just a partial download.  

I would recommend the following steps> Go to Control Panel/Add Remove Programs> Uninstall all Norton stuff> Click it, and breath a sigh of relief at how much faster your system will run without it installed. Then get PC-cillin instead, rescan the files and play the game to your heart's content. :)

Seriously though, I used to have Norton installed and it caused no end of problems on my system, and it's also quite notorious for being a resource hog. It sounds like Norton could be the likely culprit, but if you must use it, perhaps a fresh re-install (of Norton, not XP) might solve the problem.

Da_elf
Knight Status

#3 Post by Da_elf » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:26 pm

ive been enjoying NOD32 for my viruses