King's Quest III 2.0 + Voice Pack OUT NOW!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Lil' Jon
Peasant Status

#26 Post by Lil' Jon » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:55 am

O.k. as wonderfull as this is and all WHERE would I need to go to actually download the game??? (perhaps someone would be kind enough to post a link?) thanks! -

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#27 Post by Spikey » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:30 am

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#28 Post by Vildern » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:35 am

O.k. as wonderfull as this is and all WHERE would I need to go to actually download the game??? (perhaps someone would be kind enough to post a link?) thanks! -

:p For some odd reason, reading this made me laugh...

Thank heavens for Spikey and his links  :p

Broomie
The Enigma

#29 Post by Broomie » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:36 am

That's what I'm waiting for aswell, also I want to see what my voice sounds like upon the cat. :p

Believe it or not I haven't actually played and completed this, I've waited as long as you guys to play it for real.

TakariFreak
Seto Kaiba Fangirl

#30 Post by TakariFreak » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:48 am

I must say, I'm impressed so far.

Besides the small bugs already mentioned, the only disapointment I'm harboring is the 1:1 remake of it...I would have loved to see new stuff and figure things out.  Even though I'm the impatient type, I do like seeing new things.

Other than that, great job.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#31 Post by Vildern » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:37 pm

It's good to see you posting again, Takarifreak  :)

solarwinds1
Peasant Status

#32 Post by solarwinds1 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:14 pm

Sorry guys, but I don't like this remake of King's Quest III. I already uninstalled it after playing for one hour.

Here are my reasons:

1) There are a ton of strange bugs, like if you go to one screen south of the 3 Bears House, the hour glass symbol kicks in, and you automatically walk north back to the 3 Bears House.

2) The game isn't as polished or refined as AGDI's King's Quest II VGA. As someone mentioned before, if you use an item on an object on the screen, it doesn't even give you an error message like "You cannot use this item here." Little things like this would make this game feel more like a real Sierra game.

3) Where's the timer? The original King's Quest 3 is based on a timer in order for Gydion to perform tasks until the wizard comes back.

4) The mouse interface actually takes away from things you can do in the original game, but you cannot do in this remake. For instance, you cannot kick the cat. If you click on the hand icon, and click the cat, the game thinks you want to pet the cat. This is important because certain puzzles in the original game require you to kick the cat, among other things. What good is the hand icon if it doesn't think the way you do?

5) The background music is non-existent. The foreground sounds aren't there. For example, pick up an item, and score 4 points, yet there is no typical KQ sound indicating this. Most KQ games have sounds or chimes when you solve a puzzle correctly.

6) There's copy protection in this game......WTF? If you go in the basement in the main house, it asks you to open your manual and look up symbols (like King's Quest 6 Logic Cliff's puzzle) When I entered in the wrong symbol, the game promptly exited ------- didn't even offer me to restore my game or anything. This is more of a hinderance or a bug than part of a puzzle, and should be removed.

7) It's supposed to be a 1:1 remake of the original KQ3, but there are already some plot holes created. For instance, the game claims that Gydion goes down to the town to buy things for the wizard ------ correct me if I'm wrong, but in the original KQ3, the wizard never allowed him to go to the town. If you initially walk down there, the wizard will kill you, in fact. So there are changes to this game obviously, but I wish they could have made a KQ3+ VGA game instead, adding newer elements, rather than trying to imitate the old KQ3 game, yet contradicting its original plot at the same time.

Overall ------ I know, this is a free game, so one cannot be too critical of it. However, I think AGDI has set a higher standard of what we should expect out of fan-based Sierra games after KQ2+ VGA. This KQ3 VGA game really should be in beta until they figure out these things that I mentioned and possibly more.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#33 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:28 pm

It does sound like there's a TON of strange bugs in it, like when you goto sleep you wake up but are stuck and cannot move!? "You don't need to sleep to complete the game" isnt really an excuse.

Saying that though, I can't wait to play it once the voice pack and patch comes out, it looks so good!! The artwork is fantastic in some parts a little bit down on some of the character portraits but overall a really well done remake!

Bring on the patch I say  :)

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#34 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:42 pm

Man, that guy must have really not like it!  He posted the same thing, later, in our forums.  But man, he registered just to post one post here, bitching about KQIII.

Dude, you should have registered long ago to sing praises for KQII+ - no one likes someone who just complains!  It's a love fest, baby.

Bt

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#35 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:48 pm

Hey Bt,

Obviously some people are gonna compare your remake to the Sierra games and even the AGDI remakes and say its not as good etc etc, but the bottom line is that it took a LOT of hard work over a couple of years and the end result is fantastic when you look at it that way.

The remake rocks! You know, I know it its only some n00bs that dont know it. Its a free game and a damn good rendition of KQIII!

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#36 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:48 pm

I dislike stupid people. Especially when they register on a board that's not even yours just to say that they don't like your game. Yes that was TOTALLY worth the registering effort.  :rolleyes

Mordalles
Peasant Status

#37 Post by Mordalles » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:05 pm

solarwinds1 wrote:Sorry guys, but I don't like this remake of King's Quest III. I already uninstalled it after playing for one hour.

However, I think AGDI has set a higher standard of what we should expect out of fan-based Sierra games after KQ2+ VGA. This KQ3 VGA game really should be in beta until they figure out these things that I mentioned and possibly more.
well, i havent had time to play kqIII that much, but what ive seen so far is really impressive. i dont know the plot of original kqIII that well anyway. but on the graphic side of things, i think king's quest III did a better job than agd's.

for one thing, portraits are atleast anatomically correct, which was really a BIG problem in kg II vga.

the scripting seems to be a big problem, i guess this is mostly the beta testers fault, though, and also dont like the sprites much. but backgrounds are really nice, and even surpasses kq II vga.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#38 Post by Spikey » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:36 pm

solarwinds1 wrote: 6) There's copy protection in this game......WTF? If you go in the basement in the main house, it asks you to open your manual and look up symbols (like King's Quest 6 Logic Cliff's puzzle) When I entered in the wrong symbol, the game promptly exited ------- didn't even offer me to restore my game or anything. This is more of a hinderance or a bug than part of a puzzle, and should be removed.
What bogus is this? From what I read here it seems like you didn't even play it this far. THere's no such thing as a copy protection in the game.

haradan
Knight Status

#39 Post by haradan » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:49 am

Wow, I can't believe it, this guy REALLY didn't like it, because he said many wrong things:
3) Where's the timer? The original King's Quest 3 is based on a timer in order for Gydion to perform tasks until the wizard comes back.
Did you even checked the bar icons? Guess what, the timer is in the Save/Restore window.
4) The mouse interface actually takes away from things you can do in the original game, but you cannot do in this remake. For instance, you cannot kick the cat. If you click on the hand icon, and click the cat, the game thinks you want to pet the cat. This is important because certain puzzles in the original game require you to kick the cat, among other things. What good is the hand icon if it doesn't think the way you do?
Actually, in the original game there's no puzzle involving kicking the cat. It's just something you do for fun. And guess what, you CAN kick the cat in the remake, you just have to wait until Manannan goes away (kicking his cat wouldn't be too wise if he's around, don't you think?).
5) The background music is non-existent. The foreground sounds aren't there. For example, pick up an item, and score 4 points, yet there is no typical KQ sound indicating this. Most KQ games have sounds or chimes when you solve a puzzle correctly.
Might depend on your taste, but I think there's quite a lot of background music, sure, not all of the time, but quite enough anyway.
6) There's copy protection in this game......WTF? If you go in the basement in the main house, it asks you to open your manual and look up symbols (like King's Quest 6 Logic Cliff's puzzle) When I entered in the wrong symbol, the game promptly exited ------- didn't even offer me to restore my game or anything. This is more of a hinderance or a bug than part of a puzzle, and should be removed.
Sounds more like a bug than copy protection, since THERE'S NO SUCH THING. When you open the book there's a JOKE about copy protection. Of course, you need to know how to read in order to catch a joke.

Dude, you don't have to like a remake and you have the right to express your opinion, but it seems to me than your "1 hour playing the game" was more like a "1 hour looking for bad points", and if you can't support your views with logical and constructive points, no one can take you seriously.

Sure the game has lot of bugs, this is just the first release, but the bugs can and will be fixed, I don't think the game doesn't meet the "higher standards" that AGDI set just because of the bugs. Of course, that's just MY opinion.

Lil' Jon
Peasant Status

#40 Post by Lil' Jon » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:23 am

Many thanks for the link friend, the remake looks awesome can't wait to get started.  One last question however, are there additional speech and music packs that are downloadable for KQIII???  (as there are for I and II) again, thanks! -

haradan
Knight Status

#41 Post by haradan » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:48 am

They'll release a speech pack next week, probably with a patch for the bugs. But I think there is no extra music, the "music pack" is already included in the download.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#42 Post by Erpy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:03 am

Wow, I can't believe it, this guy REALLY didn't like it, because he said many wrong things:
I'm positive they were already aware of this before, but I'm sure IA has had the opportunity to experience the "diversity of attention"-law up close and personal. Whenever you do something that attracts attention, part of the attention will be good and part of it will be bad. You'll never please everyone, so the best thing you can do is hope that the people who praise you stick around while the people whose thoughts are more negative will post their opinion and then leave. (though non-fans can have notoriously long attention spans)

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#43 Post by Fribbi » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:25 pm

I think that solarwinds1 is talking about the old demogame of KQ3 VGA.   :(

haradan
Knight Status

#44 Post by haradan » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:00 am

Erpy wrote:
Whenever you do something that attracts attention, part of the attention will be good and part of it will be bad. You'll never please everyone, so the best thing you can do is hope that the people who praise you stick around while the people whose thoughts are more negative will post their opinion and then leave.

Actually, I think that negative opinions are among the best thing that can happen to you when you are in the entertainment business, specially if you want to get better at what you do. I'm a theatre director and I have learnt a lot more through negative opinions than through positive reviews. What I was pointing out is that this guy didn't make a constructive negative review, he just blattered a lot of wrong things to make his point: I don't like it. It's like saying that KQ2VGA+ is a bad game because the sword doesn't understand that I want to kill the snake, while the original allowed me to do so, or that is not as "polished and refined" as KQIX because the resolution is inferior.  :rolleyes  It makes no sense, it's not a serious argument, don't  you think?

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#45 Post by Klytos » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:40 am

I have discovered some things in this process that I'll share.

Some people are knockers, they never do anything constructive themselves, they just feel it is their god-given right to knock what other people do. It's easy to destroy, it's hard to create.

There are two types of people in this fan-community. Those people with things to do other than play computer games (I think most of us at IA, and most of those at AGDI fall into this catagory), and then there's the others who sit and play games all day. These people are also, and this in conjecture on my part, the ones who write blogs to their school-friends, or complain about governments then refuse to vote.

Functions and modules shall be used a lot more in the next IA production that I script.

Some people are never satisfied. For example the guy who wrote on our forums about 3 hours after release, "What game are you guys doing next? How long until QFI is finished???"

I drink way too much caffine.

Voice Packs are cool, yet also are a pain in the ass.

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

Re:

#46 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:58 pm

It's pretty damn cool so far. Sure, there are a few bugs, but they didn't really bother me.

solarwinds1, just a little bit of friendly advice: you'd better not spoil threads with your stupid ranting. People are not going to appreciate it.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#47 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:47 pm

I've learnt over the years that if you take everything to heart, then you only end up getting extremely overwhelmed. It's simply not possible to cater to everyone's demands and desires without having a nervous breakdown! You need to take what is relevant, and simply discard the rest.

At times, there seem to be a large number of self-proclaimed know-it-alls in the adventure gaming fan base, all of whom have different opinions and they all expect different things from you. And when you cater to the request of one group, there's *always* another group who doesn't like those requests. A perfect example of this is "the Father" additions to KQ2VGA's plot.  

I also think adventure fans can certainly be some of the hardest fans to please in the sense that many (but definitely not all) will nitpick the most trivial details to death, and when they've finished nitpicking the game, hell, they might even nitpick you too! It comes with being in the public eye. After a while it gets funny to visit Sierra forums out there and stumble across a random post, by some person you've never met before, rambling on about how they've been a hardcore advocate against AGDI for some reason or another which they've somehow managed to justify in their own head.  It's true... one day you're making adventure games, the next you're more despised than Tom Cruise. It used to be considered cool to play the devil's advocate -- but nowadays a lot of people just seem to go against the flow because it's a quick and easy way to become pseudo-intellectual; appearing enigmatic and intelligent without actually requiring any real brains.

What you need to try and do, is determine which stuff is constructive criticism designed to help you improve, and filter out all the bullshit that's not. Because the more time and energy wasted on bullshit, the less time there will be for doing anything productive.  It doesn't really improve with time either. As your skills improve, so do people's expectations for you.  The good thing about this is that it forces you to become better at your craft and to develop a thicker skin when dealing with critical fans. Making games is a highly stressful job once you have a public following, and these are 'skills' (for lack of a better word) that you develop out of necessity along the way.

PS. In the case of Solarwinds, this is a good example to use. While he says some things which are obviously false, such as the lack of a timer, it may still pay to listen to what he is saying in certain places. There have been many times I'd disregard a person's comments because they used an overly negative tone. But going back and re-reading them a bit later, I would realize that such people often do have valid points, even if they don't have all the facts correct.  

For example, Solarwinds obviously thought there was no clock timer in the remake. There is, but perhaps the fact that he couldn't find it easily led him to assume there wasn't one, and this may be an indication that it's worth moving the clock to a more visible location on the screen. Well, that's just an example.  People won't always sugar-coat things for you, and that's a given. But don't disregard their suggestions entirely based on that. Like I said, take what is relevant, and discard the rest.

Klytos

#48 Post by Klytos » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:17 am

Thanks for that AGD2, it certainly helps to get a little encouragment sometimes, especially from someone who's been there and done it, as they say. (Even if you have been in Neighbours... ;) )

I guess what I don't really understand, and probably never will, is that people actually have the time and inclination to write posts like Solarwinds one and post them on multiple forums, just to tell you they don't like what you've done. Maybe some of it is simply my own perception of the fan game "industry". To me, and to the others at IA, it's a hobby, something we enjoy doing because we like these games and enjoy each others company. We remake old Sierra games cause they were cool, we enjoyed them, and they don't work anymore on modern computers for the most part. Other people have different reasons for playing these games than we do, I guess we should learn what those reasons are and cater more for them.

You're perfectly right about taking the good from these posts though. Even though he made some factual simple errors that made me think he'd hardly played past the first room, he did have a couple of good points, that if not mentioned by others would have been missed because I disregarded his post.
The game isn't as polished or refined as AGDI's King's Quest II VGA. As someone mentioned before, if you use an item on an object on the screen, it doesn't even give you an error message like "You cannot use this item here." Little things like this would make this game feel more like a real Sierra game.
On this point he's right. It was an oversight and we'll fix it up for a future release.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#49 Post by Fribbi » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:54 pm

Speaking of AGD2 in soap opera show in Australia Neighbours I still have no clue what his role was, even I have see AGDI2 real face. :lol
Must be because I didn't watch too much on that show then.

I have being looking again on that TV show and what a surprize.
It was really cool to see every old neighbours in one of the show. But right now in Iceland the show is still from 2005. I aldready know it was then 20 years since the Neighbours started. I just could beleeve it when I saw those old neighbours again I miss so much from that TV show. And it is good to see Joe, but heis back again in that show and Lance and others. But right now Paul who I still suspect that he was the guy who burned the Lou's bar has lost one leg ...I don't know why...but he has moved back into neighbourhood with that bich ...sorry but she is a bitch because she is a thief and very sly woman right...and Lou is trying to stay somewhere in neighbourhood after he was kicked out of his house of Paul and Joe is in love with one woman and one man with two kids (new neighbours) has moved in. That was the last I can remember when I saw the show in my last time I watched.

So AGD2 if your first game Al Emmo will failed in the salemarket and you will be more brooke than ever are you going back to act in Neighbours again then? :D  :p

Klytos

#50 Post by Klytos » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:58 am

From what I recall of earlier conversations Fribbi, AGD2 has done a fair amount of acting, the Neighbours thing was a bit part in the background where he was a fellow football player to one of the main cast a few years ago (I think going back to the time when characters like Felicity were in it...) Neighbours is a show in Australia that everyone knows and as a nation we're proud of it because of the talent it's produced. That said, we still love to give people a hard time about either watching it or being on it. My cousin was an extra a couple of years ago, played one of the "bad" girls who were giving Skye and her Canadian Lesbian friend a hard time. I still give my cousin crap about that...  :lol