Quest for boredom remover

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#76 Post by Kurdt » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:38 am

It's no problem. No need to apologize. I just thought that, since I'm a member of the team, I should probably advertise when I can.

Broomie
The Enigma

#77 Post by Broomie » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:47 am

Well, in truth the game has had a bit of modifying as we don't want to stop too much into the boundaries of the QFG world, so it won't be in Spielberg but it will have a few simularities. And of course pay much homage to the series we've all known and loved. :)

djIndy
Peasant Status

#78 Post by djIndy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:16 am

Hmm so has anyone out there actually attempted to create a sequel QFG6 <insert title here> ... ???

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#79 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:51 am

adeyke

#80 Post by adeyke » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:41 pm

Note that Hero6 isn't a sequel; it's just a game made in the same style as QfG.

djIndy
Peasant Status

#81 Post by djIndy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:05 am

Here's a question i put foward. Could QF5 Dragonfire be remade, using a somewhat similar plot/storyline with the same characters but modified to the point where our hero's status at the end of the game was such that a sequel could be created without the hurdles that are present in the current Qfg 5 (i.e. becoming the King, Erana/Katarina..) ??

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#82 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:30 am

if you just wrote a mod that would carry that info into the export file then ya easily. The storyline would just have to be such that the beggining tears the hero from everything he got either by moving him really far, back in time, forward in time or killed off everything that made his titles what they are like his wife or kingdom or thievesguild and such. that said, it will never happen.

antonyo
Royal Servant Status

#83 Post by antonyo » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:54 am

Yes. A past enemy attacks Silmaria teleports the hero far away from home and he must then begin a long journey back to Silmaria, spanding over several years and across several troubled lands until he get the chance to see Silmaria again. This way you get the perfect excuse to get the Hero back into hero business. Rather cheap and ST:Voyager like, but it could still work.

Add to the mix an aging spell to make the hero older, you then solve your stats problems by lowering them to those of an old man's level, and you make the Hero unrecognisable to those who might recognize him as king, or to his family.

But yes. The only way to avoid or delay having to deal with the kingdom, thief guild, wife and family choices made in QFG5 is to move the Hero through space, time or both until its family or subjects no longer recognise him or are no longer present.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#84 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:15 am

why did that sound an awful lot like Homer's Odyssey?

antonyo
Royal Servant Status

#85 Post by antonyo » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:50 am

Now that you mention it. I guess it left a bigger impression in my head than I thought. :)

jayjech
Peasant Status

#86 Post by jayjech » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:04 pm

I like the QFG312 idea quite a bit.  After all, if you give it enough time, all of the player's choices from QFG5 will be expired history.

All we need to assume is that the Hero outlives whatever family he may have had, and/or that he develops Alzheimer's.  In this case, his previous choices will no longer be an issue to deal with -- all that he has is the present.  We can also assume that by the time the hero is 100+ years old, his stats will have degraded sufficiently enough to the point where he couldn't beat even the least experienced version of his younger self in QFG1.

Alternatively, the Hero could sink into a deep depression after experiencing the mundanity of a normal, boring life (lacking adventure.)  He starts drinking and gambling his life away (including his kingdom if he became king of Silmaria) until even a bum on the street looks like a hero compared to him.

QFG101: So You Used To Be A Hero

rANd0mtHIEf
Peasant Status

#87 Post by rANd0mtHIEf » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:27 am

I'm not sure exactly why, but I love the idea of QfG101: So You Used To Be A Hero.
It's kind of thought provoking, irreverent, and yet fitting, all at the same time. He has achieved everything, become a Hero, a King, and everything else he wanted to be... and like just about everyone else who has achieved everything they set out to do, he realises that life is still just life as it was before. He loses it all, but more than that, he has lost his dreams of glory. And you'll need a little bit more than just a big sword to win it all back.
It also sounds a little indie-fan-game-ish. Not to say it couldn't be done professionally, but it sounds like it could have the right atmosphere without excessively high production values. AGS fan sequel anyone? =P

haradan
Knight Status

#88 Post by haradan » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:24 pm

Just a couple of things I've thought:

1.- Being a king doesn't stop you from going adventuring once again. Think of Conquests of Camelot. Could be a quest that can only be solved if you do it yourself, without armies or anything. Like searching for a far away oracle to solve a plague in your homeland or so. So it's not necesary to have a complete massive destruction or magic spell to do QFG6.

2.- All QFG games assumed you ended the previous games with the best posible solution. You could let Bernard rot as a bear (or kill him!  :evil ) in QFG1 or let Baba Yaga alone, and still QFG2 assumed you rescued the pesky baronet, an QFG4 assumed you turned Baba into a frog. QFG3 assumed you helped Julanar, and QFG5 assumed you wanted to see ALL of the past characters to say goodbye! (As a fighter, I was very unconvinced that Toro would treat me as a friend after I kicked his ass  :rolleyes ).

Anyway, what I'm saying is that there's no obligation at all for a future QFG6 to follow ALL of the possible ways. It could assume, as always, the best ending for each character class. Now, I know the game doesn't give you the best score for some of these endings, but I've always thought the best endings for each character were:

Fighter - Marries Elsa, accepts the throne.
Paladin - Marries Erana, rejects the throne.
Wizard - Marries Katrina, accepts the throne.
Thief - Marries Narwa (or whatever her name is), accepts the throne and wins the Thief Contest.

You'd only need 4 different intros that put the hero at the beggining  of the same adventure.

So if there's a potential QFG6 designer out there, please go for it! Stop worrying about perfect logical ties, even the Coles didn't.

Oh, and if you work on Vivendi, then please DON'T go for it! You already ruined Leisure Suit Larry with you so-called "sequel", don't ruin the greatest series ever!

rANd0mtHIEf
Peasant Status

#89 Post by rANd0mtHIEf » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:16 am

Nawar.
I think multiple intros would be a good idea... it worked for Wizardry Gold, at least. It would be even better if it could find the relevant facts in your character file, but I'd imagine they weren't exported.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#90 Post by Kurdt » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:58 am

Anyway, what I'm saying is that there's no obligation at all for a future QFG6 to follow ALL of the possible ways. It could assume, as always, the best ending for each character class. Now, I know the game doesn't give you the best score for some of these endings, but I've always thought the best endings for each character were:

Fighter - Marries Elsa, accepts the throne.
Paladin - Marries Erana, rejects the throne.
Wizard - Marries Katrina, accepts the throne.
Thief - Marries Narwa (or whatever her name is), accepts the throne and wins the Thief Contest.

You'd only need 4 different intros that put the hero at the beggining  of the same adventure.
I've been saying this in this thread for Jebus-knows how long (check page 2) and it seems nobody believes it would work. I will, once again, however, say that it is the best option. I think the Wizard and the Thief might reject the throne, though.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#91 Post by Boogeyman » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:04 am

I was a Wizard who accepted the throne and married Nawar.

antonyo
Royal Servant Status

#92 Post by antonyo » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:58 am

Well, either this detail is noted in the imported character file, either you ask 2 question to confirm this detail at the begining. Like when you were asked to confirm your character class in case the character import file was wrong.

But I don't think any of this should be really important as both of those details would probably only be mentionned in the introduction and the conclusion of the game. If Silmaria or the Hero's family occupy a role too big, the project will sink in development hell. Animating all the sprites will be a lot of time and energy wasted. Programming and testing every possibilities and choices will be a pain, as if it wasn't already since a QFG game would defaultly be a pain to program and test.

At best, choosing the throne or not should determine where the introduction would take place, in the throne room or royal gardens at the opposite of a street, a house or a forest. And a few conversations where "hero" would probably be changed for "king" to fit better.

Same thing with the family. Your choice in QFG5 should determine who the hero will hug good bye/welcome back and who will send letters to the hero while he is away. It might be cheap, but it's the only way a similar project remain in the limits of the managable.

I think the details that should be overcome first is the story and the stats system. The story need to be good, keep these two limitations in mind and need to be motivating enough to put a king back into hero business. As for the stats system, like it was pointed earlier in this thread, it is rather flawed. However, I'm not sure if the system is really flawed of if it's because of player's misuses.

While one may say that between 500 and 600, the difference between a weak hero and a strong one is rather slim, the problem is, ideally you shouldn't finish any QFG games with the maximum possible points for each skills and 500 is a pretty strong hero already. The same way you rarely finish Diablo 2 or a Final Fantasy game with 99 levels, there is a certain level you are expected to be at the end of the game, but to reach the level limit, you need to do a lot of level grinding. It is the same here. I remember when I imported my character from QFG2 to QFG3, without any skills grinding, I was rather surprised to discover my imported character was weaker than if I simply started a new hero in QFG3.

But I never finished QFG5, so I have no idea at which level should be your character skills at the end of the serie. If it is around 500, then I guess the system is flawed, and a solution for it must be found.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#93 Post by Kurdt » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:56 am

I wouldn't say it's a pain any more than it's a pain to test MMORPG's. I mean, those have infinite possibility and infinite combination of skill sets and looks and they seem to be able to be done pretty well. You'd just need a bigger development and beta-testing team. It could be done.

Thyme in Lost
Peasant Status

#94 Post by Thyme in Lost » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:14 am

My favorite ending (Before using the patch) was to marry Elsa and let her run the kingdom as well as marrying Nawar and winning Thief Guild's Chief.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#95 Post by Boogeyman » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:01 am

Couldn't you still do that by hacking in a Hera's Ring?

Thyme in Lost
Peasant Status

#96 Post by Thyme in Lost » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 pm

Boogeyman wrote:Couldn't you still do that by hacking in a Hera's Ring?
That would take me knowing how to hack in a Hera's Ring.

Meliszabeth
Peasant Status

Here's a thought...

#97 Post by Meliszabeth » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:37 am

I'm not fond of the son idea OR the Hero requesting in a sequel. Here's my idea..

I loved how, in QfG5 the Hero finally got to meet the CEO of the very school that gave him his start on his long saga. (THIS was the man who's writing had inspired his entire life!) Did anyone notice how after taking the Hippocrene water and coming back to life - FA had a 'book to finish' before going out on new adventures himself? Well what if it is the last textbook for the Famous Adventure's Correspondance School.. and the next hero will be the last graduate of the school? I imagine FA wrote about our old Hero in it, using him as an example.. what if this new kid really aspires to him... goes adventuring - inspired by all he's read about the Hero (Doesn't have to tell us!), and finally meets him in the end? [I love a good mentor/protege thing! :)] Better than 'son' because the fact he married or not, became king/chief thief or not, etc. wouldn't matter. I think this would solve alot of the problems that have been discussed here.

I too think it would be great for the next destination in Gloriana to be celtic in nature. So many Scottish/Irish folk tales and creatures for the questing! : )